• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2024

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
It's really simple Gen Blue/Brumbies etc sign the kids at 15 years old on 4 years Dev contracts which is what the league clubs do. Wrap the kids up until they are 19, (If they are still performing upgrade the contracts) it's a complete no brainer..........it's so simple....
Not really. You need to be able to refresh the roster each year. Plenty of dominant 15 year olds are done by 17. It is a tiny portion of 15 year old rep players that even make it to grade. That has nothing to do with the NRL.

Not really. You need to be able to refresh the roster each year. Plenty of dominant 15 year olds are done by 17. It is a tiny portion of 15 year old rep players that even make it to grade. That has nothing to do with the NRL.
Most of the kids you see tearing up in the 15s and 16s a lot of them fall off because they were always just operating off pure talent. It’s always kids like Tom Hartman and Phoenix graham who looked like they would never play 1s in year 11 but they make it and compete at a high level. Up the view boys

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Most of the kids you see tearing up in the 15s and 16s a lot of them fall off because they were always just operating off pure talent. It’s always kids like Tom Hartman and Phoenix graham who looked like they would never play 1s in year 11 but they make it and compete at a high level. Up the view boys
To be fair, Hartman has looked like a quality player for many years. Your point is a good one, consistency and attitude trump raw talent, always. Often it is the kid who missed the rep teams when younger that emerges when it really counts. We all know someone who was unexpectedly successful, not just sport, it might be business, it could be with the ladies. Consistency pays off

anothernudge

Allen Oxlade (6)
The third tier that is getting a lot of airplay should include academy teams. They can then develop lads for U20’s games, give them bench and starting time with the men when they are ready, increase exposure and then have them starting before they progress to super. That will be closer to the European system. It is another reason why they should build off the existing club system. You need 3 or 4 Sydney teams, 2 or 3 in Bris then 3 or 4 from the other states and regions. But they must be able to pick the best colts players rather than be tied to a limited number of clubs.
Would these academies work in the offseason and just not play during the AAGPS season?

Footy head

Chris McKivat (8)
It's really simple Gen Blue/Brumbies etc sign the kids at 15 years old on 4 years Dev contracts which is what the league clubs do. Wrap the kids up until they are 19, (If they are still performing upgrade the contracts) it's a complete no brainer..........it's so simple....
Can totally agree with you. the league clubs are going to private schools games scouting them from there and they are poaching all the potential players because union doesn't have a good enough system to hold all of these young talents.

Footy head

Chris McKivat (8)
Early Early prediction, any GPS 1xv for the 2024 season?
-Professor
My 1xv gps team prediction

1. ?
2. warner (shore)
3. ?
4.fanoua (kings)
5. baxter (shore)
6. cleverly (newington)
7. le maitre (shore)
8.brial (scots)
9. grova (riverview)
10. humphries (newington)
11. hartman (riverview)
12. Large (scots)
13. fitler (scots)
14. makasini (newington)
15. jaunquens (scots)

not sure of any props. Any ideas?

RushingRob

Chris McKivat (8)

1. ?
2. warner (shore)
3. ?
4.fanoua (kings)
5. baxter (shore)
6. cleverly (newington)
7. le maitre (shore)
8.brial (scots)
9. grova (riverview)
11. hartman (riverview)
12. Large (scots)
13. fitler (scots)
14. makasini (newington)
15. jaunquens (scots)

Not sure, maybe Joel Jacobs (S) or Cody Clarke (S). Only ones I really know.

bigwilly123

Frank Row (1)

1. ?
2. warner (shore)
3. ?
4.fanoua (kings)
5. baxter (shore)
6. cleverly (newington)
7. le maitre (shore)
8.brial (scots)
9. grova (riverview)
11. hartman (riverview)
12. Large (scots)
13. fitler (scots)
14. makasini (newington)
15. jaunquens (scots)

i agree but i think Colosimo (kings) at hooker

Penriff_boy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Early Early prediction, any GPS 1xv for the 2024 season?
-Professor
2. James Warner (Shore)(C )
4. Fonua/Bartlett ( Kings) ( Scots)
5. Baxter (Shore)
6. Fonua/Cleverly
7.Le Maitre ( Shore)
8. Brial ( Scots)
10.Humpries/ Newington)
11. Hartman ( Riverview)
12.Large ( Scots)
13 Fitler( Scots
14 Rodwell/ Chick ( New) ( Joeys)
15. Jaques( Scots)

Not sure on the Props and Halfback

Game_Day_Ritual

Sydney Middleton (9)
2. James Warner (Shore)(C )
4. Fonua/Bartlett ( Kings) ( Scots)
5. Baxter (Shore)
6. Fonua/Cleverly
7.Le Maitre ( Shore)
8. Brial ( Scots)
10.Humpries/ Newington)
11. Hartman ( Riverview)
12.Large ( Scots)
13 Fitler( Scots
14 Rodwell/ Chick ( New) ( Joeys)
15. Jaques( Scots)

Not sure on the Props and Halfback
maybe 10. T. Rodwell from Newington, absolute super star. I would have Fonua over Baxter at 5. Props interesting one maybe 1. J. Jacobs (Scots).

Penriff_boy

Billy Sheehan (19)
maybe 10. T. Rodwell from Newington, absolute super star. I would have Fonua over Baxter at 5. Props interesting one maybe 1. J. Jacobs (Scots).
Yes could possibly put Rodwell there instead, i wasn't sure if he played 10, and that would free up another outside back.

Who knows with the props. The squad seems to be very strong in some areas, but not in others.

Aagpsglory

Allen Oxlade (6)

1. ?
2. warner (shore)
3. ?
4.fanoua (kings)
5. baxter (shore)
6. cleverly (newington)
7. le maitre (shore)
8.brial (scots)
9. grova (riverview)
11. hartman (riverview)
12. Large (scots)
13. fitler (scots)
14. makasini (newington)
15. jaunquens (scots)

Angus Phillips for Hooker over Warner is a definite. This season, Phillips was picked over him in the GPS white team due to his superior throwing and ball running. Warner is a great player but Phillips has significant experience in the Opens (2nds in yr 10, 1s in yr 11) and his ball running will only get better as he transitions into a more significant role in Riverviews 1sts.

James warner could possibly be moved to prop for him but cant see warner beating Angus Phillips out.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Yes could possibly put Rodwell there instead, i wasn't sure if he played 10, and that would free up another outside back.

Who knows with the props. The squad seems to be very strong in some areas, but not in others.
Played later in the season at 10 didn’t he? He’s a talented kid and plays League right? A lot of them have Halves skill even if listed at 15 in Rugby

Ballscollector

Allen Oxlade (6)
Third Tier competition for starters. Get players involved as soon as possible. I’d support a Super Rugby A comp along side a full Super Rugby U20s.
100% agree with this, this could be a perfect solution as well as following in more the NRLs footsteps, possibly with Harold Matts and SG Ball type competitions, whether this is done with Super Rugby teams, Shute Shield teams or others I think just having a larger system for teams and the sport in general, if I was to create a pathway it would look something like:

Continue normal reps until U15s, then U16, U18 rep teams/Academies (Can play games during offseason, or otherwise) then as Ghost mentioned a U20 Super Rugby comp, gives young players a pathway at a higher skill level than Colts but not risking injury or hindering development playing against grown men when the kids aren't ready, as well as a Super Rugby A comp similar to NSW cup where plays can come back from injury, those who are ready can have their first chance against grown men.

Rugby Australia just needs to figure out an actual pathway to make rugby a career, at the moment the case is too much if you aren't good enough at 17-19 years old you can't carve out a career, losing too much talent from Schoolboy rugby to NRL and just those who can't go anywhere.

Penriff_boy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Angus Phillips for Hooker over Warner is a definite. This season, Phillips was picked over him in the GPS white team due to his superior throwing and ball running. Warner is a great player but Phillips has significant experience in the Opens (2nds in yr 10, 1s in yr 11) and his ball running will only get better as he transitions into a more significant role in Riverviews 1sts.

James warner could possibly be moved to prop for him but cant see warner beating Angus Phillips out.
Warner is a much better Thrower and was basically robbed of selection this year. You could possibly move Phillips out?

Top Bottom