• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2024

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
For me they just dont invest enough into rugby compared to other sports to form a juggernaut. We have seen how dominant they can be in other sports when they invest the time and effort properly however.
Good point. History suggests they have never been a huge threat though even when the competition was a lot more flat in terms of talent and resources.

The style of Rugby they played for a long period was also not conducive to success. 10 man Rugby thrives in the middle of the table.

Strong enough all around like View which does drain from sports in the same school.

The Chairman

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Good point. History suggests they have never been a huge threat though even when the competition was a lot more flat in terms of talent and resources.

The style of Rugby they played for a long period was also not conducive to success. 10 man Rugby thrives in the middle of the table.

Strong enough all around like View which does drain from sports in the same school.
Even this year I think they have overcompensated in trying to modernise. If you saw any Shore games the immediate thought was “Wow they kick alot” and this is great when the 10 was on the money as demonstrated against Joeys (R2) and their win over Newington, but it came back to bite them more often than help them.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I definitely thought that against View. Why are you giving the ball to their backline.

Worked in the 1st round when View were their own worst enemy so Shore playing field position worked.

Won’t win comps though in the double round comp. It allowed for the joint premierships in the past because you only needed 1 upset.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Check out thirds in 1948. How did this happen?

1693622153120.png

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
For me they just dont invest enough into rugby compared to other sports to form a juggernaut. We have seen how dominant they can be in other sports when they invest the time and effort properly however.
Exactly they’ve only recently had a proper off season program since 2021 and external professional coaching since 2020 which have both been 10 years too late

Backintheolddays

Bill Watson (15)
Sorry my sarcasm didn’t translate well to text. Comment was more directed towards “adhering to the traditions of the association …”

RushingRob

Herbert Moran (7)
I find it weird that shore were peculiarly good at the Seconds comp, very limited first & second XV premierships, but so many seconds.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I guess they have squads of 30 guys that are probably 7/10s which doesn’t win 1sts comps when you need 2 or 3 9-10/10s and a bunch of 8s.

Traditionally there have been some schools have a distinct drop off after the 1sts.

That game play of simple field position and error free will work better in 2nds as well when the standard does slow down a bit.

I guess they have squads of 30 guys that are probably 7/10s which doesn’t win 1sts comps when you need 2 or 3 9-10/10s and a bunch of 8s.

Traditionally there have been some schools have a distinct drop off after the 1sts.

That game play of simple field position and error free will work better in 2nds as well when the standard does slow down a bit.
This forum is so fortunate to have your wisdom.

Penriff_boy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Who do you guys think would win ifin a Anglican Vs Catholic game made up of GPS and CAS schools

Anglican - Barker, Cranbrook, Kings, Shore, Trinity

Catholic- Aloys, Joeys, Riverview, Waverley.

Has a game like this ever happened before? Should it brought in at the end of the season.

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Who do you guys think would win ifin a Anglican Vs Catholic game made up of GPS and CAS schools

Anglican - Barker, Cranbrook, Kings, Shore, Trinity

Catholic- Aloys, Joeys, Riverview, Waverley.

Has a game like this ever happened before? Should it brought in at the end of the season.
This year? Or in general.