• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2024

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I tend to think Shore will be alright in the pack. It's the ability to outscore teams that will be the challenge compared to Scots, Joeys, View and what they can bring back and through in 9,10,15

jaromeluai

Frank Row (1)
They’ll have a good centre pairing in Conick and MacKellar but otherwise the halves and back three seem a bit shaky

Heard that Shore was going to be picking up a couple of players in the back three. Lewis Kingdom looked promising last year could see him line up on the wing or at fullback.

Professor62

Larry Dwyer (12)
I tend to think Shore will be alright in the pack. It's the ability to outscore teams that will be the challenge compared to Scots, Joeys, View and what they can bring back and through in 9,10,15
The introduction of Rex Bassingthwaighte (Old boy Leo Bassingthwaighte's brother and starting u16 gen blue 15), will almost defiantly fill in a role at 10 or 15 which will add structure into Shore's lineup and translate into their season as well. 3 great options for the halfback position, Oli Greig (16A's and NSW 2 starting 9), Jack Binnie (2nds), Angus Beggs (New boy in 2023 who made his mark on the team and shows great upside potential). Massive depth for next year.
-Professor

Agent

Darby Loudon (17)
They narrowly loss to Joeys and Scots last year, i'm sure they will learn from those mistakes. And as i said Scots will be competitive.

The forward pack won't be a problem, and is probably the best in the Gps. Maitre, Warner, Baxter are great players. With Maitre possibly being the best player in Australia for his age. Warner is close up there too.

Gee I LOVE your optimism Riff_boy but you are scaring me that you are getting the cart before the horse! I hope you don't regret going the early crow this time next year!

Penriff_boy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Gee I LOVE your optimism Riff_boy but you are scaring me that you are getting the cart before the horse! I hope you don't regret going the early crow this time next year!
I also predicted the Eddie Jones situation, when a lot of other people saw him as a messiah .

moa999

Bill Watson (15)
Bad luck seeing Thomas Yassmin (Scots ‘17) out for the season for Utah. Was becoming a real weapon. Hope his NFL aspirations not over.

Five games playing under Utah's 3rd and 4th tier QBs (top guys out injured) and barely got the ball, not great in his final season. Few places still have him a chance for a late round pick but will need to impress at the combine if he gets an invite.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
He’s up against it NFL wise. He doesn’t qualify for the International Player Program due to playing in College which would be the easiest way into a squad.

He could probably make as much in Rugby as what a pick in the draft 200-250 get which can be the signing bonus (90-100k) only as their contracts are not fully guaranteed and only worth 3-4m if they hit every contract target for 4 years and stay on the roster.

Can be just as valuable for these guys to go work and use their Alumni networks for jobs.

He also has a lot of ability to use it in Australia in recruitment, camps and even media. He’s a lot more interesting having played an American Football specific position over than some ex afl player who became a punter.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Interesting because I wrote on the RA thread that I thought it was a pretty average article IMO.

Stating that there were only two players that impressed and they would not be on an NRL teams radar due to their Rugby specific skill set really just tells me, since I also watched these games that there are another 13 that wouldn't be good enough to get a look. (I take part of this back as I think a couple like Boston would be of NRL interest

To then use Ireland & France being knocked out as an indication that League systems don't work is silly. Ireland was on a 17 match win streak and went to war with NZ and France has lost two games in two years.

I don't think we need to go down that full route but this feels like he's had it 90% drafted for a long time and then Ireland & France losing let him submit it.

I think we need to see it as a talent war more than a style fight. I’m glad most of the league players we want have Rugby backgrounds. We have the premier league comp in the world on our doorstep. Why not steal a couple…

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Interesting because I wrote on the Rugby Australia thread that I thought it was a pretty average article IMO.

Stating that there were only two players that impressed and they would not be on an NRL teams radar due to their Rugby specific skill set really just tells me, since I also watched these games that there are another 13 that wouldn't be good enough to get a look. (I take part of this back as I think a couple like Boston would be of NRL interest

To then use Ireland & France being knocked out as an indication that League systems don't work is silly. Ireland was on a 17 match win streak and went to war with NZ and France has lost two games in two years.

I don't think we need to go down that full route but this feels like he's had it 90% drafted for a long time and then Ireland & France losing let him submit it.

I think we need to see it as a talent war more than a style fight. I’m glad most of the league players we want have Rugby backgrounds. We have the premier league comp in the world on our doorstep. Why not steal a couple…
Yeah, agree, we should pick off some of the best talents in NRL (deciding who they are in a rugby context is harder). Where I do agree with Cully is that we are allowing the excuse of conflict with the NRL to distract from the hard work of properly developing rugby specific players. The fact that there is an Aussie born and bred world class second rower who will soon be eligible for France is tragic. RA can control the development of players who are focused on rugby but if they continue to waste money chasing NRL mercenaries we will be stuck in purgatory forever. Our lack of depth in the front row at the RWC was very telling in the end. Michael Hopper should have always been a centre and Pocock should have played at 7, always. Similarly George Smith should never have played anywhere but at 7, Waugh
Was a competitor but not in the same league. Why did these things happen? RA didn’t develop appropriate other options at 6 and 8 so played 2 x 7’s …. Rant over.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Yeah, agree, we should pick off some of the best talents in NRL (deciding who they are in a rugby context is harder). Where I do agree with Cully is that we are allowing the excuse of conflict with the NRL to distract from the hard work of properly developing rugby specific players. The fact that there is an Aussie born and bred world class second rower who will soon be eligible for France is tragic. Rugby Australia can control the development of players who are focused on rugby but if they continue to waste money chasing NRL mercenaries we will be stuck in purgatory forever. Our lack of depth in the front row at the RWC was very telling in the end. Michael Hopper should have always been a centre and Pocock should have played at 7, always. Similarly George Smith should never have played anywhere but at 7, Waugh
Was a competitor but not in the same league. Why did these things happen? Rugby Australia didn’t develop appropriate other options at 6 and 8 so played 2 x 7’s …. Rant over.
This is undeniable.

We’re the only ones that see it as conflict. The NRL don’t care about RA. They see it as a farm system as we should see theirs.