• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2024

Agent

Alfred Walker (16)
2024 View prediction
1. Angus Phillips (1s, GPS White, NSW Schools II)/ Will Hodge (2s)
2. Daniel Osborne (16s GPS, 16s NSW Schools)/ Will Hodge (2s)
3. Conor Dempsey (2-3s)
4. George Tancred (16s GPS, 16s NSW Schools)
5. Phoenix Graham (1s, GPS White)
6. Daniel Saunders (1,2s)
7. Henri Dempsey (16s GPS, 16s NSW Schools)
8. Ambrose Hennesey (2s, depends on rowing), Campbell Conna (16s GPS, 16s NSW Schools)
9. Ed Carter (2s) (C)
10. Angus Grover (16s GPS, Sydney, U16 GenBlue)
11. Brodie Folkes (16s)
12. Jeremy Newton (2s)
13. Tom Hartman (1s, 16s NSW schools, U16 GenBlue)
14. Charlie Watson (3s, 16s GPS)
15. Max Mason (2s)

HM
- Shea Berry
- Joe Paii
- Sam Terry
- Dan Smith
- Tom Johnston
- Harry Davis
- Darcy Macpherson

What ever happened to 2022 16’s prop Joe Graves? Coming into year 12 in 2024 I think but seems to have dropped off the radar!

Agent

Alfred Walker (16)
Let's not forget that it is 100%, not the be-all or end-all if you don't make it into gps 1's. Countless players in gps 2nds, etc. have gone on to play professionally in both codes. Examples from the last 2 years: Jesse McLean, Jack Bowen, Joey Fowler, Taukamo. Most players are already contracted by the time they get into GPS 1's so scouts often look for players in the 'lower' teams.

The general public always say that Australian Rugby is full of private school boys and esp from the GPS. GPS 1’s is seen as the cream of our crop of players each year. I’ve often wondered where our players end up and how many really do rise to the top, how many play club footy, and how many leave school and don’t really play again? It would be interesting to have a look at the GPS teams for 5 to 10 years ago and see where players have ended up rugby wise.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
There is only roughly 150 professional Rugby contracts in Australia. I think the percentage that come from the GPS is really high if you look at like an industry.

If you look at the Australian Schools/U18s it’s considered a good cohort if 5-6 of the squad end up having a meaningful Rugby career of 5+ years. That probably means only 1-2 might be Sydney GPS players. Heaps of reason for this and most come to physical development stages and a number of them were advanced while at school but didn’t continue. It’s no different to any career. As you go higher the pool just gets smaller. Even the best school boy will top out at some point.

I was watching the Roosters v Parramatta game on Friday and there were 5 Sydney GPS boys in that game alone: Chrichton, Smith, Sua’ali’i, Pennisini & Simonsen.

Between the NSW & QLD GPS the production of professional footballers is exceptional.

In regards to players not playing after school, I think it would disappoint to know how many will stop after a year or two of Colts. This is unfortunately the standard through all Club Rugby at the moment and not just the GPS players. Contact sports are becoming more niche and I generally think people can’t be bothered if there is nothing to be gained i.e a pro contract.

Last edited:

RushingRob

Sydney Middleton (9)
There is only roughly 150 professional Rugby contracts in Australia. I think the percentage that come from the GPS is really high if you look at like an industry.

If you look at the Australian Schools/U18s it’s considered a good cohort if 5-6 of the squad end up having a meaningful Rugby career of 5+ years. That probably means only 1-2 might be Sydney GPS players. Heaps of reason for this and most come to physical development stages and a number of them were advanced while at school but didn’t continue. It’s no different to any career. As you go higher the pool just gets smaller. Even the best school boy will top out at some point.

I was watching the Roosters v Parramatta game on Friday and there were 5 Sydney GPS boys in that game alone: Chrichton, Smith, Sua’ali’i, Pennisini & Simonsen.

Between the NSW & QLD GPS the production of professional footballers is exceptional.

In regards to players not playing after school, I think it would disappoint to know how many will stop after a year or two of Colts. This is unfortunately the standard through all Club Rugby at the moment and not just the GPS players. Contact sports are becoming more niche and I generally think people can’t be bothered if there is nothing to be gained i.e a pro contract.
I think some of us take for granted the footy we see weekly, some of the stuff we see is better than some Subbies rugby, and even some Super Rugby. We are so lucky.

Game_Day_Ritual

Sydney Middleton (9)
He will make it, but just for fun and discussion, here are some possible backrows that exclude him

6. Brial (S)
7. Cleverley (N)
8. Teamopeau (J)

6. Cleverley (N)
7. Logan (J)
8. Baker (K)

HM

Bartlett (S)
Conna (I)
Greer (J)
Bartlett is a second rower no 4 or 5. Allot of depth in the back row some very good kids mentioned above.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I think some of us take for granted the footy we see weekly, some of the stuff we see is better than some Subbies rugby, and even some Super Rugby. We are so lucky.
Absolutely. Super Rugby is a chore to watch 90% of the time.

It’s one of the most talent dense competitions in the world.

This is good for us who follow it but not necessarily for Rugby in Australia it could be argued.

Even in NZ the talent is far more dispersed. In the UK it’s even greater. That’s why we often hear about some highly touted UK Rugby School that gets rolled by a GPS development level side.

When you include the CAS and ISA, NSW really produce more than their fair share of talent and players it’s just that we are a small country and Rugby isn’t the number 1 sport and barely played in half the nation.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Justice is a great player no doubt, however believe Brial overtakes him for the GPS 1 team due to his experience over him, extremely excited to see this battle however.
He was one of the best on the field in the NSW v QLD game this year.

Physical development is likely to seperate them at this point still.

Ballscollector

Allen Oxlade (6)
justice turns 16 next year which could mean that he still is eligible to make the 16s gps teams.
You are correct here, similar to Ed Baxter from Shore this year, however Justice is a good shout to make an opens GPS team, however I'm not sure on the process if he can choose who to play for? Personally if I was him I'd rather start and dominate in the president's side then sit on the bench in the GPS Blue/Whites, but I reckon Justice is a cracking player with a chance to make the 1s/2s GPS side.

InsiderScoop

Sydney Middleton (9)
Justice will be year 10 age next year. Why won't he just play presidents?
They have to be selected in u16 if they are eligible according to GPS selectors rules, unlike the CAS.

However, Justice was not selected in GenBlue u15 and instead was selected in the u16s. Anyone know why?