• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2024

Footy head

Chris McKivat (8)
They have to be selected in u16 if they are eligible according to GPS selectors rules, unlike the CAS.

However, Justice was not selected in GenBlue u15 and instead was selected in the u16s. Anyone know why?
It would be because he is good enough to make the team as he captained the schools 1 team a year young and vice captin for the gps a team.

Kristian ENOS Armstrong

Allen Oxlade (6)
You are correct here, similar to Ed Baxter from Shore this year, however Justice is a good shout to make an opens GPS team, however I'm not sure on the process if he can choose who to play for? Personally if I was him I'd rather start and dominate in the president's side then sit on the bench in the GPS Blue/Whites, but I reckon Justice is a cracking player with a chance to make the 1s/2s GPS side.
ed baxter isnt born in 2008

Backintheolddays

Alfred Walker (16)
Brial plays number 8 not second row. Will be a good battle between Justice and Brial. (Both very very good players)
Agree, others have been picking Brial as a second rower, I don’t agree at all. Think he played there a little in some of the rep games this year but he ended at 8 which is where he belongs.

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
There is only roughly 150 professional Rugby contracts in Australia. I think the percentage that come from the GPS is really high if you look at like an industry.

If you look at the Australian Schools/U18s it’s considered a good cohort if 5-6 of the squad end up having a meaningful Rugby career of 5+ years. That probably means only 1-2 might be Sydney GPS players. Heaps of reason for this and most come to physical development stages and a number of them were advanced while at school but didn’t continue. It’s no different to any career. As you go higher the pool just gets smaller. Even the best school boy will top out at some point.

I was watching the Roosters v Parramatta game on Friday and there were 5 Sydney GPS boys in that game alone: Chrichton, Smith, Sua’ali’i, Pennisini & Simonsen.

Between the NSW & QLD GPS the production of professional footballers is exceptional.

In regards to players not playing after school, I think it would disappoint to know how many will stop after a year or two of Colts. This is unfortunately the standard through all Club Rugby at the moment and not just the GPS players. Contact sports are becoming more niche and I generally think people can’t be bothered if there is nothing to be gained i.e a pro contract.
Perhaps it was 6 GPS players, Siua Wong went to Scots

bullocks

Ward Prentice (10)
Ladder Prediction 2024 :

View and Scots Joint Prem
Joeys
Kings
Shore
New

Scots will be favs with their star backline but if a team ( View ) can hold them in the forwards, think they will get rattled. View showed in 2023 that they punch above expectations and their overall team work and fitness was probably the best in the comp. A home and away comp may produce a joint prem next year.

Joeys will improve but if they don't adjust their play, it will be another lost season. Too much sideways before going forward.

Kings will lose too many very good players and will need a rebuild.

Shore are the dark horses. They could be better next year but ...

New will disappoint again. Young 2023 team so might go ok next year but the other teams will be better.

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Agree, others have been picking Brial as a second rower, I don’t agree at all. Think he played there a little in some of the rep games this year but he ended at 8 which is where he belongs.
Debates about who will be the GPS back row months before pre season even starts are kind of frivolous. There will be injuries, others will develop. Odds on that at least 1 player picked hasn’t even been heard of yet. For the record, I reckon Brial could end up playing 4,5,6 or 8. The positions are increasingly similar in the way the game is evolving.

Last edited:

guntzinator

Banned
There is only roughly 150 professional Rugby contracts in Australia. I think the percentage that come from the GPS is really high if you look at like an industry.

If you look at the Australian Schools/U18s it’s considered a good cohort if 5-6 of the squad end up having a meaningful Rugby career of 5+ years. That probably means only 1-2 might be Sydney GPS players. Heaps of reason for this and most come to physical development stages and a number of them were advanced while at school but didn’t continue. It’s no different to any career. As you go higher the pool just gets smaller. Even the best school boy will top out at some point.

I was watching the Roosters v Parramatta game on Friday and there were 5 Sydney GPS boys in that game alone: Chrichton, Smith, Sua’ali’i, Pennisini & Simonsen.

Between the NSW & QLD GPS the production of professional footballers is exceptional.

In regards to players not playing after school, I think it would disappoint to know how many will stop after a year or two of Colts. This is unfortunately the standard through all Club Rugby at the moment and not just the GPS players. Contact sports are becoming more niche and I generally think people can’t be bothered if there is nothing to be gained i.e a pro contract.
League is taking over. Talent is being brought into the NRL system from GPS and CAS as It's just better. Colts isn't the right pathway and union need to sort it out. So much potential is leaving Rugby Australia and going to league. Any thoughts on what can be done?

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
League is taking over. Talent is being brought into the NRL system from GPS and CAS as It's just better. Colts isn't the right pathway and union need to sort it out. So much potential is leaving Rugby Australia and going to league. Any thoughts on what can be done?
Third Tier competition for starters. Get players involved as soon as possible. I’d support a Super Rugby A comp along side a full Super Rugby U20s.

Young players are sold a massive dummy by a lot of NRL Clubs through NSW Cup and getting all the gear and being able to say your signed with …. League have the resources to throw a small contract at a player and if it doesn’t work they don’t care. Rugby are more limited in resources.

Footy248

Banned
Third Tier competition for starters. Get players involved as soon as possible. I’d support a Super Rugby A comp along side a full Super Rugby U20s.

Young players are sold a massive dummy by a lot of NRL Clubs through NSW Cup and getting all the gear and being able to say your signed with …. League have the resources to throw a small contract at a player and if it doesn’t work they don’t care. Rugby are more limited in resources.
Yeah like with NRL you have Harold Matts, SG ball, Jersey flegg and NSW cup there is so much opportunity to make it whereas union you have nothing, Gen Blue which is highly selective.

guntzinator

Banned
Yeah like with NRL you have Harold Matts, SG ball, Jersey flegg and NSW cup there is so much opportunity to make it whereas union you have nothing, Gen Blue which is highly selective.

The approach should be making junior comps within the Shute shield clubs, or super rugby teams. Gen blue is limited games and only the best of the best. Waratahs should be using their funds to keep a hold of young talent, and distribute them to junior Shute shield clubs.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
The approach should be making junior comps within the Shute shield clubs, or super rugby teams. Gen blue is limited games and only the best of the best. Waratahs should be using their funds to keep a hold of young talent, and distribute them to junior Shute shield clubs.
I’d worry if it was purely Shute Shield due to diluting the comp. It has to be hard to develop players. The old Toyota Cup in League was garbage because everyone got a job but only 2/3 of 150 players per year went on to play more than 50 NRL games.

A super Rugby A would include other grown men and full pros not involved that week.

Game_Day_Ritual

Sydney Middleton (9)
It's really simple Gen Blue/Brumbies etc sign the kids at 15 years old on 4 years Dev contracts which is what the league clubs do. Wrap the kids up until they are 19, (If they are still performing upgrade the contracts) it's a complete no brainer..........it's so simple....

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
The third tier that is getting a lot of airplay should include academy teams. They can then develop lads for U20’s games, give them bench and starting time with the men when they are ready, increase exposure and then have them starting before they progress to super. That will be closer to the European system. It is another reason why they should build off the existing club system. You need 3 or 4 Sydney teams, 2 or 3 in Bris then 3 or 4 from the other states and regions. But they must be able to pick the best colts players rather than be tied to a limited number of clubs.