• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2024

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
The combined comp thing gets brought up every year. Is it a nice concept? Yes, for 1st XVs

What does it mean for 2nds, 3rds etc. some schools with a strong 1sts like Barker would not have a 2nds suitable for a Div 1… if they have to play somewhere else you dilute school support over time which will diminish programs as a whole. We eventually purely have A grades and 1sts and less kids playing Rugby.

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
The combined comp thing gets brought up every year. Is it a nice concept? Yes, for 1st XVs

What does it mean for 2nds, 3rds etc. some schools with a strong 1sts like Barker would not have a 2nds suitable for a Div 1… if they have to play somewhere else you dilute school support over time which will diminish programs as a whole. We eventually purely have A grades and 1sts and less kids playing Rugby.
You get it. Many don’t. GPS rugby is about the whole of the school not 1 team.

RivettingImpostor

Frank Row (1)
3 minutes till the kings documentary comes out,

Personally think this is a bit of a joke. In recent years we as a community have forgotten what GPS school rugby stands for. As far as I'm concerned, this video reflects a rising celebrification of schoolboy rugby players that only has detrimental impacts on the players. They are in year 12, are completing an HSC, and are still impressionable teenagers, and to have people fawning over them playing rugby for a school cannot be productive. I think in some cases it puts too much pressure on them and in worse cases can make them feel like they're above members of the school and outside the standards of the school because they are a part of this 'celebrity' rugby culture. Schools should look to make changes to this so that it doesn't spiral out of control. Note: you would never have seen documentaries about GPS rugby when I was growing up.

Sam Drape

Bob McCowan (2)
Personally think this is a bit of a joke. In recent years we as a community have forgotten what GPS school rugby stands for. As far as I'm concerned, this video reflects a rising celebrification of schoolboy rugby players that only has detrimental impacts on the players. They are in year 12, are completing an HSC, and are still impressionable teenagers, and to have people fawning over them playing rugby for a school cannot be productive. I think in some cases it puts too much pressure on them and in worse cases can make them feel like they're above members of the school and outside the standards of the school because they are a part of this 'celebrity' rugby culture. Schools should look to make changes to this so that it doesn't spiral out of control. Note: you would never have seen documentaries about GPS rugby when I was growing up.
crazy how no one cares what you think. No documentaries were made back in the day cause you'd be filming off potatoes mate.

Penriff_boy

Billy Sheehan (19)

It's not the 1950s anymore champ . Times have changed. Most players want to get exposed, it benefits them and their careers more.

Penriff_boy

Billy Sheehan (19)

Life is different now to the boomer/ Alan Jones days.
Liberal governments have caused the House prices to go out of control. Young people need to do what's best for themselves to get ahead and hopefully be in a good financial position.

RivettingImpostor

Frank Row (1)
It's not the 1950s anymore champ . Times have changed. Most players want to get exposed, it benefits them and their careers more.
I agree, and it's good to see they can make careers out of sport, but I think this happens for only a small margin of them whilst the rest have sacrificed a lot of their education just because we place so much value on school footy. I think we need to remember that the purpose of a school is to educate and putting kids through 6 trainings a week and immense pressure and stress, which would surely detract from their academics, does not actually equip them for the future when they don't make it in footy and therefore schools have forgotten what they are supposed to do.

Gps's Father

Bob McCowan (2)
most of these boys come off the field and immediately forget about what’s just happened. why? because they move onto the next job. which is to win the next saturday. what i love about this new film era and what this tom gavan (k) and lachy shaw (r) have done, is that these boys can look back at the memories they’ve created. they’ll show their friends, family and even their kids in the future. yes it gives each player exposure, but it also gives them something to look back on in the future and see their schoolboy footy created memories through the eyes of a lens.

HOK

Frank Row (1)
Hi All,

I'm the kid that actually made the documentary and appreciate all the support. Just to clarify, I'm in Year 12 and am friends with all the kids on the team, so I can understand why some may think I've gassed them up. I'm only 17, yet over the years I've understood the growing need for athlete marketing and exposure, and have assisted many boys on the squad in getting recognition from professional teams. In the end, that's who I'm doing it for. I'm not getting anything tangibly out of doing this as I'm still a student at the school, which I think that is important to consider if you want to try and slander the video. It's been a big commitment amidst HSC trials and my own athletic season, so I do hope everyone enjoys it. Please do keep sharing it around. Cheers again,

Tom

TheRugbysmoker185

Allen Oxlade (6)
Hi All,

I'm the kid that actually made the documentary and appreciate all the support. Just to clarify, I'm in Year 12 and am friends with all the kids on the team, so I can understand why some may think I've gassed them up. I'm only 17, yet over the years I've understood the growing need for athlete marketing and exposure, and have assisted many boys on the squad in getting recognition from professional teams. In the end, that's who I'm doing it for. I'm not getting anything tangibly out of doing this as I'm still a student at the school, which I think that is important to consider if you want to try and slander the video. It's been a big commitment amidst HSC trials and my own athletic season, so I do hope everyone enjoys it. Please do keep sharing it around. Cheers again,

Tom
to think someone has made this in year 12 is amazing, your gonna make it somwhere one day mate