• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2024

Scrum enthusiast

Frank Row (1)
I have been watching the athletics program very closely and have seen some unmatched speed by kings future 5/8 who ran a staggering 13.1 100 m. After such an (impressive) performance rumour is that he might be moved to the front row to those of similar speed.

RushingRob

Chris McKivat (8)
Knox and Waverley could probably compete with most gps schools across the age groups.

And it should be part of the promotion criteria that you need to have a certain amount of depth across each age. E.g 4 open teams, 3 under15/16, 4 under13/14.
Scots 14B flogged Waverley 55-0, you wouldn't expect that huh?

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
He did say “most” tbf.

There are always going to be strong and weaker years, I just think it’s not the way Schools Rugby exist to be built like American Colleges with 1 team being the Program.

The associations do exist to serve themselves and the students. The argument commonly becomes about developing talent and helping Rugby. In my opinion the various competitions produce more than their fair share of talent and it’s the NSWRU who should facilitate morerep programs beyond Schools to play more games and develop their next professionals and not just assume the private systems will do the heavy lifting for them with zero help financially or administratively.

anothernudge

Allen Oxlade (6)
He did say “most” tbf.

There are always going to be strong and weaker years, I just think it’s not the way Schools Rugby exist to be built like American Colleges with 1 team being the Program.

The associations do exist to serve themselves and the students. The argument commonly becomes about developing talent and helping Rugby. In my opinion the various competitions produce more than their fair share of talent and it’s the NSWRU who should facilitate morerep programs beyond Schools to play more games and develop their next professionals and not just assume the private systems will do the heavy lifting for them with zero help financially or administratively.
Certainly, some yrs are a lot stronger than others in club footy as well. I worry about some clubs for example Easts haven't even got a U14 team this year.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Those State Champs lose a lot of interest from 13-18 because there are boys that won’t play Club anymore.

It’s also where Aussie Rules is also making a dent wether we like it or not.

anothernudge

Allen Oxlade (6)
Certainly, I know there are things like what we have been discussing but for AFL like Swans Academy which is growing in popularity.

propsarespeedy

Ted Thorn (20)
Certainly, some yrs are a lot stronger than others in club footy as well. I worry about some clubs for example Easts haven't even got a U14 team this year.
I didn't know that, good to see a very deep U13's easts age group with 4 teams I believe. Easts U15's had a good team with boys from Scots, Cranbrook, Kings, and Moriah and the 16's have a team with talented players, many from Cranbrook. Easts always have great depth from u9 to U12 but there is usually a big trend of people quitting club footy in year 7 or 8.

anothernudge

Allen Oxlade (6)
That's good to know there are still some good age groups but I wonder why boys aren't interested anymore when they get to yr 7-8

Boats and Hoes

Bob McCowan (2)
King's athletics is up there with one of the strongest programs in the country...10 premierships in the last 16 years since the coach took over (have never placed lower than 3rd as well) - sounds like a good idea, particularly with Sid Singh competing in the Open High Jump this year
Was talking to Sid. He is quite distraught that he could not lead the school in the war cries at Athletics due to him being in the high jump, however I'm sure the chants will go on.

letsruck

Allen Oxlade (6)
Knox and Waverley could probably compete with most gps schools across the age groups.

And it should be part of the promotion criteria that you need to have a certain amount of depth across each age. E.g 4 open teams, 3 under15/16, 4 under13/14.
On top of all these issues its important to realise that many GPS schools would prefer not to merge so as to keep the prestigious name of the AAGPS as exclusive as possible as this is a point of marketing for many of these schools.

Last edited:

Footy head

Chris McKivat (8)
Good to see that Jesse Mclean made his nrl debut last night at the age of 18 who graduated newington last year! He is still mean to be in year 12 at the moment as he was young for his year. He did some very good things but unsure if he is yet big enough or strong enough to play that high of a level constantly.

anothernudge

Allen Oxlade (6)
On top of all these issues its important to realise that many GPS schools would prefer not to merge so as to keep the prestigious name of the AAGPS as exclusive as possible as this is a point of marketing for many of these schools.
Very true the 'AAGPS school' title brings in a lot of interest.