• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2024

DoubleScrum&Coke

Frank Row (1)
Probably something like this: (in bold are ones that could swap positions)

1) ???
2) Warner (E)
3) Hayden Lavercombe (K)
4) Toby Brial (S)
5) Isaac Fonua (K)
6) Luca Cleverley (N)
7) Marshall Le Maitre (E)
8) Heinz Lemoto (S) / Justice T (J)
9) Angus Grover (I)
10) Rodwell (N)/ Jonty Fowler (I)
11) Tom Hartman (I)
12) Matthew Gough (J) / Zac Fittler (S)
13) Henry Conick (E)
14) Jay McKenzie (S)
15) Leo Jaques (S)

For loosehead prop, I have no clue, all I know of are some Scots boys such as Joel Jacobs or possibly Tom Duddy. I am not sure of any others from other schools. I'm a bit how ya going on Fittler, will have to wait and see how he goes.

Also, I personally think Brial is better in the lock, but I guess they can't not have Heinz or Justice in the team so he might have to suck it up

Any sensible and proper feedback will be good.
Lavercombe is a loosehead prop so think he would go in there. That would leave tighthead open

UpnUnder

Allen Oxlade (6)

1) ???
2) Warner (E)
3) Hayden Lavercombe (K)
4) Toby Brial (S)
5) Isaac Fonua (K)
6) Luca Cleverley (N)
9) Angus Grover (I)
11) Tom Hartman (I)
13) Henry Conick (E)
14) Jay McKenzie (S)
15) Leo Jaques (S)

For loosehead prop, I have no clue, all I know of are some Scots boys such as Joel Jacobs or possibly Tom Duddy. I am not sure of any others from other schools. I'm a bit how ya going on Fittler, will have to wait and see how he goes.

Also, I personally think Brial is better in the lock, but I guess they can't not have Heinz or Justice in the team so he might have to suck it up

Best feedback - Predicting these teams, before a shot has been fired, based on 12 month old form, for 16 / 17 year old footballers, is a fool’s errand. If selectors are even contemplating teams yet, they are doing it wrong.

Backintheolddays

Bill Watson (15)
Best feedback - Predicting these teams, before a shot has been fired, based on 12 month old form, for 16 / 17 year old footballers, is a fool’s errand. If selectors are even contemplating teams yet, they are doing it wrong.
Agree, but bet selections are already pencilled in as only a couple of games available before squads selected. Barring injuries or growth spurts it’ll be the same old

The Chairman

Tom Lawton (22)

1) ???
2) Warner (E)
3) Hayden Lavercombe (K)
4) Toby Brial (S)
5) Isaac Fonua (K)
6) Luca Cleverley (N)
9) Angus Grover (I)
11) Tom Hartman (I)
13) Henry Conick (E)
14) Jay McKenzie (S)
15) Leo Jaques (S)

Fowler from Ignatius?

UpnUnder

Allen Oxlade (6)
Of all the really dumb things RA is doing, this is right at the top of the list. Imagine fixing your mindset on who the best 17 and 18 year olds are based on last season. Other than the select group based on form last year, no one has played a game yet this year. The games this team will play will be in September this year. Basically the geniuses at RA have deflated the motivation of boys before the season proper has started. They’ve said, we don’t care how you’ve trained over summer, we’ve got our team. Bad luck if you were injured last year, or a late developer. We’ve got our crew. If you are serious, best you head OS, league is an option for you as well. of course they say names will be added but few will be and I’d wager none will be deleted. The selectors are human, changing the mind for most is very difficult. We were already going too narrow too soon, this just makes that problem worse.

Last edited:

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
all this when our best players need to play more not less…..
I don’t like the fact teams are named at this stage but I would push back a bit on the notion they are plying less. Most of these guys have been playing games for the last 18 months. That in itself can be a conversation because how does anyone earn their way up but more games is a good thing.

Another question. In general do the boys play for the Premiership or rep sides? Only 1,2 each year (from the GPS) will have a meaningful professional career even if they dominate at a Schools level. I’d say the Premiership myself.

Wish this squad was larger to give a feeling of it being open but I think it’s a long play recruitment wise by RA over caring about rep sides.

keenas

Frank Nicholson (4)
Of all the really dumb things RA is doing, this is right at the top of the list. Imagine fixing your mindset on who the best 17 and 18 year olds are based on last season. Other than the select group based on form last year, no one has played a game yet this year. The games this team will play will be in September this year. Basically the geniuses at RA have deflated the motivation of boys before the season proper has started. They’ve said, we don’t care how you’ve trained over summer, we’ve got our team. Bad luck if you were injured last year, or a late developer. We’ve got our crew. If you are serious, best you head OS, league is an option for you as well. of course they say names will be added but few will be and I’d wager none will be deleted. The selectors are human, changing the mind for most is very difficult. We were already going too narrow too soon, this just makes that problem worse.
Agree 100% there must be reason to select players on last seasons form so many things change in 12 months at that age, as usual RA are doing things that don’t make sense no wonder Rugby is popularity is in free fall !

moa999

Fred Wood (13)
Did people even read the article

"Identifying potential national players this early in the year allows us to closely track them across the school, association, and club seasons."

While the final squad won’t be confirmed until later this year, Fraser and his coaching staff will closely monitor players over the coming months, with others to be added based on performances in club and school competitions

UpnUnder

Allen Oxlade (6)

"Identifying potential national players this early in the year allows us to closely track them across the school, association, and club seasons."

While the final squad won’t be confirmed until later this year, Fraser and his coaching staff will closely monitor players over the coming months, with others to be added based on performances in club and school competitions
I read the article, it highlights the fixed mindset of RA selectors. Why monitor specific boys closely. Why not monitor all elite level boys closely. If you are playing GPS 1st level you should be under consideration. The point is, RA go too narrow too early and it shows at super and test level via a lack of competition for places. It also shows via the number of Wallaby standard players lost OS who should be in the net not out of it. I know of at least 2 boys who have battled injuries over the last few years, are back to good fitness and ready to rip in. They are pretty deflated knowing that the bulk of the squad has been picked before a shot has been fired in anger. Why announce the squad now if you are monitoring players over the next several months? Why back in your bias so early? It is just dumb governance.

UpnUnder

Allen Oxlade (6)
I don’t like the fact teams are named at this stage but I would push back a bit on the notion they are plying less. Most of these guys have been playing games for the last 18 months. That in itself can be a conversation because how does anyone earn their way up but more games is a good thing.

Another question. In general do the boys play for the Premiership or rep sides? Only 1,2 each year (from the GPS) will have a meaningful professional career even if they dominate at a Schools level. I’d say the Premiership myself.

Wish this squad was larger to give a feeling of it being open but I think it’s a long play recruitment wise by RA over caring about rep sides.
My point was that the boys on this list got to play more over the summer to the exclusion of others. Again, too narrow too early. There should be multiple NSW and QLD, city country etc sides contesting these games over summer. Yes, the % of Gen Blue etc underage players that go on to play professionally is low, all the more reason to cast the net wide at this point. There should probably be more consideration to colts U18 players as well, I think it is harder to perform once you get out of the school bubble and a better indication of later success. Any who… rant over

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Fair point. I would say though the best kids have always played more games than other due to being picked in academies, 7s, league or club reps.

I think everyone agrees we need more. I think there is the intention of more sides especially from NSW who aren’t really being challenged with the current arrangement.

keenas

Frank Nicholson (4)

I do not know of any sporting body that selects a representative team 12 months in advance ! Could this be a reflection of the decision makers ability to bring Rugby out of the predicament they are in from like minded decision makers of the past ? As the saying goes “if you don’t learn from your mistakes you are in big trouble “ and that is where A.R is now ! Hopefully not in the death throes

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
It’s a shame they’ve called it what they have. The name has a lot of people in a twist but it’s something that use to be done in much more successful days. Had various names like the National Talent Squad and got thrown under the AIS in Canberra. Players would all go to camps in Summer before the Schools season.

Rugbies problem is the multiple governing bodies that aren’t accountable to one another.

Cockatoo Run

Allen Oxlade (6)
Great recognition for the boys who played well in the recent u18 interstate series, but don’t read too much into it.

Last year Joeys had a backrower who was a late bloomer and not on the rep radar, then got injured and missed the first half of the GPS season and therefore the rep season. He then played the last 5 GPS games only - but people noticed - he got put into the Waratahs u18, straight into Waratahs Academy, and recently played Waratahs A and is bypassing Colts and straight to 2nd/1st grade Shute Shield and only 18.

Cream will still rise to the top if the kid is talented, resilient to selection setbacks like this and is rugby committed, despite flawed pathways.

Professor62

Ted Fahey (11)
Great recognition for the boys who played well in the recent u18 interstate series, but don’t read too much into it.

Last year Joeys had a backrower who was a late bloomer and not on the rep radar, then got injured and missed the first half of the GPS season and therefore the rep season. He then played the last 5 GPS games only - but people noticed - he got put into the Waratahs u18, straight into Waratahs Academy, and recently played Waratahs A and is bypassing Colts and straight to 2nd/1st grade Shute Shield and only 18.

Cream will still rise to the top if the kid is talented, resilient to selection setbacks like this and is rugby committed, despite flawed pathways.
Name? Is this Joe Mangelsdorf?
-Professor