• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2024

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
12-5 cattledogs. Halftime.

both teams chancing their arm in attack. Plenty of errors. Best on ground 13 from Joeys. A handful. View backs struggling for cohesion at times. Fun times in the stand with Joeys/View sitting next to each. First time since the 70’s. Banter has been very funny.

Backintheolddays

Bill Watson (15)
Interested to see how New go this year and whether they can translate age group form to Opens.
Cannot see anyone getting past Scots all the same.

propsarespeedy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Scots 16A’s 12-0 Cranbrook in a 30 minute game with some set piece training taking place before the game. Scots structure not there yet where as Cranbrook looked decently organised and played with some solid heart. Huge potential in the Scots 16s team. Scots first and seconds both got up big, firsts looked great. Debutants Tom O hara and Mark nikas both did very well, and all the usual suspects in looked good form, few injuries but all in all a good hit out, Scots a very entertaining team.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
My thoughts

To begin with I do not use names in my match reports. Never will. Keeps me from getting into hot water. I try and use proactive language rather than negative. My pronouns are #funny#bastard

The trials was exactly that. Both teams were full of ring rust but the Joeys boys seem to be slicker. Must have dipped themselves in WD40 sheep dip in the sheds. The hands from both teams was found wanting at times but this was to be expected. On occasions though there were some excellent off loads hauled in like a net full of yabbies.

1712384894367.png

Set pieces were typical at this stage of the season.....rusty and in need of a big tune up. Lineouts were generally simple but it was notifiable Joeys do get their lads up sky high and can spoil the opposition throw. Joeys will need to work at the throw but both teams would have been happy with the start. Scrums were even as well. Nothing major to report. Loose play from the forwards was well matched. Joeys 2, 7 and 5 had big games with a high work rate. Joeys 8 was very effective at times and will prove to be a handful. His run in the second hlaf was notable as the blue and white speed hump proved no obstacle. View 1, 4 and 6 tackled their hearts out plus spoiled a lot of Joeys ball. The View pack punished Joeys at the breakdown winning many turn over penalties. In addition the sniping from the base of the breakdown was very effective which led to easy metres. Joeys forwards were effective with their soft hands though with offloading all game. Must have changed to soap from the old, cheap Sunlight used for generations. They never wanted to die with the ball. In the first half a try in the right corner could be traced all the way back to forward interplay down the left flank and then the ball was spun wide with a lumbering second rower taking a breather of the wing finishing it off.

1712384804689.png

Back were even at times. Joeys though were though more organised. Stand out was 13 who was dangerous every time he touched the ball. Joeys have some speed on the wings but the attack stems from 12.13. The View ten was the better of the halves. Inventive and an astute kicker. he almost stole the game late with a well weighted chip kick over an oncoming cerise defense. Half was good at times but it was hard with the ball being muddied by the relentless wave of cattle dogs. The View 9 did a remarkable job.

1712385110850.png

Highlight of the game (other than Matty's halftime goal kicking show) was watching and hearing the interaction between both school cohorts. Game was not compulsory for both schools but plenty did come, including that bloody drum! Anyway late in the match with game tightening up the school groups engaged in an old fashioned war cry battle not seen since the battle of Stanmore in 1979. Boys seemed to enjoy the chance to interact in a lighthearted way.

Shout out to those who said hello. Once again the View boys showed their courage.

Final score 25-19 to the dogs. Draw would have been a fair result as well.

Last edited:

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Scots 16A’s 12-0 Cranbrook in a 30 minute game with some set piece training taking place before the game. Scots structure not there yet where as Cranbrook looked decently organised and played with some solid heart. Huge potential in the Scots 16s team. Scots first and seconds both got up big, firsts looked great. Debutants Tom O hara and Mark nikas both did very well, and all the usual suspects in looked good form, few injuries but all in all a good hit out, Scots a very entertaining team.

1712385469465.png

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Nailed it Joker.

Joeys 13 very classy game.

From a View perspective if they can get the set piece settled and the pack working as a unit like last year, the 9,10 will give them plenty of opportunity for points.

Shame we didn’t have more games today. Think we’re in for another good year. Two round competition is great when it’s like this.

Does anybody know if or how the games will be streamed? I’m sure lots are wondering. HOTR was on ‘Streamer’ and it was pretty good and seems a big platform already.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
@Joker Can you comment for the people who didn’t get to see the game about how St Joseph’s First XV makes up to last years? Back in the title fight this year?
A dark horse. The dark empire and the big cattle of Parramatta hold favoritism.!Joeys will provide doubt for them. 2018 and 2019 were years when Joeys were not favs but did.

While Joeys may lack in physical size and bulk they make up for it in skill and speed. A typical Joeys team really. Joeys don’t produce monsters like some do in the science lab. Just a hard working, super fit, aggressive and well skilled team. Not 15 players. 1 team. I saw potential today and a greater sense of teamwork so early in the season.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
Did the full team play for firsts? where did Heinz line up?

InsiderScoop

Chris McKivat (8)
My 2 cents of the Joeys vs View game. Best players on the day from Joeys were 4,5,9,12,13, from View it was 1,4,8,10. Joeys were rather fluent in attack where View lacked structure in areas of the field. The accurate high balls and set piece we saw last year will need some improvement over the break. Watch out for the No 4's from both sides, they play well above their weights and are very skilful. Plenty of dropped balls saw missed opportunities but nonetheless good to see some View Joeys action. Young View No. 8 was an impressive defender and strong over the ball. The big Joeys 12 impressed me with his skillset, strong carries and read the defence well (passing wise). View 12 can tackle. In terms of depth and 2ndXV, Joeys bench played very well.

Arthur Greer (5), Ethan Tombs (13) and Max Mason (10) were clear standouts amidst a messy game.