• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
LG,

I dont have to much knowledge of the NSW schools process as it pertains to NSW selection; what is there position with respect to a lad being unavailable to trial as a result of misfortune (as in Moeroa's case)?

I am also bearing in mind your above mentioned post with regard to selectors being out and about prior to the trials.

My experience with other associations (i.e. club rugby and league for that matter) is that selectors generally have a squad of players already pencilled in prior to final selections.

Surely it would have to be the same here? In saying this I am always mindful that the coaching staff always tends to determine the flavour of the team!

The selectors had the teams picked before yesterdays trial games. Unfortunately they have to make their choices after watching only 3-4 weekends of GPS trial games but this has been the position for a couple of years now due to the timing of the CAS v GPS v CHS games and subsequent National Schools Championships. Because of these time constraints my understanding is that at the end of the GPS season the selectors pencil in draft GPS 1's and 2's squads for the following year based on those boys who will still be eligible to play Opens in that year. These draft squads provide a form guide for the following years selectors who then add and subtract players based on the form they see in the few trials that they get to watch. It also enables them to measure existing talent against those new to opens or GPS rugby such as Taan Milne who has more than matched his centre opponents in the pre-selection trial games.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
I am 100% sure that the NSW selectors already know what he can do at LHP and they will pick him there if they need him there. They don't wait for trials between GPS, CAS etc to start watching the boys either: they'd cover as many schools trial games as they can. I bet there was one at Hunters Hill today for example.

But, like me, they will be interested in the GPS experiment to see how Robertson goes at THP.

Usually coaches like a fellow as mobile as Robertson to play on the LH side because they have only one arm in the scrum and can get away from it quicker than a THP can, and therefore have an influence on play sooner. But if their greater need is a THP to steady the scrummage and that mobile fellow is the best around they could give him the 3 jersey.

With trials how they are I don't doubt that Piggy will appear on the GPS LH side sometimes.

Lee I don't understand your "they have only one arm in the scrum" comment as every prop whether LH or TH binds outside the scrum with their external arm. Their other internal arm is bound onto their own hooker. The thing that constrains a THP is that his head is engaged between the opposing hooker and LH which limits his ability to disengage quickly from a scrum. Whilst a LHP does not have this disadvantage the job of every good TH is to ensure that his opposing LH' s outside shoulder is locked under the TH's external binding arm to limit the LH exiting the scrum too quickly.

I watched Robertson with interest yesterday and he certainly has a great front rowers physique, is a good scrummager and defender and also runs the ball quite explosively. I would not however call him mobile - sure when he was near the ball he performed well but otherwise he ambles far too much between rucks IMO to earn the "mobile" front rower moniker. He's a great talent but I think his future lies at THP.
I also think that Matt Sandell is being wasted as Joeys THP - he is much more mobile than Robertson has a higher work rate and better all round skills. His only downside may being a touch too tall for loose head. I saw him play some games last year where he was just outstanding and I'm positive that in at least one of those he played 4 or 5?

( Edit: Lee I can understand your comment if you meant shoulder rather than arm?)

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
GPS Rugby Teams 2012.

Key: Shore (E), Grammar (G), High (H), St Ignatius’ College (I), St Josephs’ College (J), Kings (K), Newington(N), Scots (S)

GPS 1st XV
Oscar Pryor-Lees (N), Ben Carolan (J), Tomas Robertson (J), Harrison Rourke (I), Fergus Lee-Warner (K), Jack Dempsey (I), Tom Murphy (J), Mitchell Whitely (I), Andrew Ferris (K), David Horwitz, (c) (S), Josh Wilde (J), Tanne Milne (N), Lalakai Foketi (K), Harry Jones (K), Andrew Kellaway (S)

GPS 2nd XV
Oliver Barker (I), Tevita Vea (N), Matthew Sandell (J), Declan O’Donahue (J), Callum Buckling (E), Jack McCalman (K), Harry Randall (c) (K), Liam Moylan (K), Angus Pulver (E), Andrew Deegan (J), Alex Vlahos (N), Jack Reddin (I), Sam Barclay (J), Oscar Pople (N), Matthew Hood (N)

GPS 3rd XV
Willie Ahosivi (N), Jackson Fitzpatrick (c) (E), Douglas Streeter (E), Lachlan Cannell (N), Patrick Fishburn (E), George Prassas (N), Xavier May (I), Angus Crichton (S), Tevita Makasini, (J), Corey Tulloch (K), Tom Cleary (J), Sam Gerry-Burgess (I), Steane Davis (E), Will Rayner (S), Max Wyllie (K)

Res
Lachlan Strachan (K), Hosea Fotukava (I), Nathan Kelly (I), Rohan O’Regan (N), James Goldie (J), David Morris (N), Joey Lussick (N), Will Davies (K), Daniel Gautschi (G), Robert Arnold (E)

1st's: Joeys 4 Kings 4 View 3 New 2 Scots 2
2nd's: Joeys 4 Kings 3 View 2 New 4 Scots 0 Shore 2
3rd's: Joeys 2 Kings 2 View 3 New 3 Scots 1 Shore 4
Res: Joeys 1 Kings 2 View 2 New 3 Scots 0 Shore 1 Grammar 1

Totals: Joeys 11 Kings 11 View 10 New 12 Scots 3 Shore 7 Grammar 1

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Kings 19 beat Joeys 12. Again Joeys forwards were dominate, especially in the first half, but the backs continued to struggle. Kings just played a smarter game, they kicked well and played effective rugby. Joeys were up 12-5 at half time but Kings fought back in the second half after Murphy came off. Both teams handled the conditions much better than a few weeks ago. In attack Joeys outside backs were fairly strong while for Kings Tourish came into first receiver alot and always found a way through. Joeys bests 1, 7, 14 Kings bests 7, 14,15. With the GPS teams selected tonight i wouldnt be surprised to see Wilde and Jones on the wings and i think Murphy may have won the battle for the 7 jersey. Cant pick a winner between Barclay and Foteki but both had solid games.

I can't agree that Joeys forwards were dominant - in fact the game was won on the back of Kings defensive efforts in both halves and their forwards overall dominance in the second half - even after losing both their starting props to injury - holding Joeys scoreless at home in the second half is testament to this. Both of Joeys tries were also scored out wide on the right whilst Kings three tries were scored through their forwards two of them through the middle of Joeys pack near the posts.

I was very impressed with Joeys backs particularly in the first half but probably a bit surprised that they went wide so often given the wet conditions- still they had plenty of possession and field position to do so and their handling was excellent with Deegan (10) and Kay(12) both shining. In the forwards Murphy was outstanding as were Goldie and Carolan who certainly deserved his selection at 2 in the GPS firsts. Makasini also went well at 9 and has a good future ahead of him.

For Kings both Tourish (15) and Tulloch (10) kicked very well to get Kings into great field position. Tulloch in particular was very astute with his boot in the second half. Their backs didn't see a lot of the ball in either half which was probably a result of the amount of possession Joeys had in the first half and Kings kicking for field position and keeping it in the forwards in the second half. As you pointed out Tourish (15) was a handful when he ran the ball. Jones (14) didn't get a lot of opportunity but looked dangerous in the few touches he had. He copped a facial injury close to half time and didn't return after the break. In their forwards Moylan (8), McCalman (6), Lee-Warner (4) and Matson (5) - who scored a great individual try running 35m after charging down a Joeys clearing kick - were all excellent. The most tired player on the field after the game had to be their seconds tight head (Bateman) who really stood out in that game then played most of the second half in the heavy conditions after Strachan came off injured.

Both sides had 11 players selected in the GPS sides which is indicative of the talent they have. It will no doubt be a great contest when they meet again hopefully on a drier track - on this occassion though Kings forwards got the better of their Joeys counterparts.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Bloody hell! there was no parking as usual at Hunters Hill, all the bloody SUV's take up all the room!

Found a spot eventually, courtesy of the lady in the SUV Volvo who realised that you cant park a car like that in Spot just big enough for ford focus!

Anyway went to the boot, and guess what, no umbrella! Not to worry rain was only light and I'll sit in the stand anyway!

Its now 1.15pm back in my car, #%^*€£> soaked to the gills; stand was chockers; who would have thought; so I stood in the rain and then the downpour!

Can someone please post a report! Was so looking forward to this game!
Sorry Newbie, I had a spare umbrella in my new audi Q7 that I could have loaned you (hahahahaha)

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
I can't agree that Joeys forwards were dominant - in fact the game was won on the back of Kings defensive efforts in both halves and their forwards overall dominance in the second half - even after losing both their starting props to injury - holding Joeys scoreless at home in the second half is testament to this. Both of Joeys tries were also scored out wide on the right whilst Kings three tries were scored through their forwards two of them through the middle of Joeys pack near the posts.

I was very impressed with Joeys backs particularly in the first half but probably a bit surprised that they went wide so often given the wet conditions- still they had plenty of possession and field position to do so and their handling was excellent with Deegan (10) and Kay(12) both shining. In the forwards Murphy was outstanding as were Goldie and Carolan who certainly deserved his selection at 2 in the GPS firsts. Makasini also went well at 9 and has a good future ahead of him.

For Kings both Tourish (15) and Tulloch (10) kicked very well to get Kings into great field position. Tulloch in particular was very astute with his boot in the second half. Their backs didn't see a lot of the ball in either half which was probably a result of the amount of possession Joeys had in the first half and Kings kicking for field position and keeping it in the forwards in the second half. As you pointed out Tourish (15) was a handful when he ran the ball. Jones (14) didn't get a lot of opportunity but looked dangerous in the few touches he had. He copped a facial injury close to half time and didn't return after the break. In their forwards Moylan (8), McCalman (6), Lee-Warner (4) and Matson (5) - who scored a greGat individual try running 35m after charging down a Joeys clearing kickg - were all excellent. The most tired player on the field after the gamge had to be their seconds tight head (Bateman) who really stood out in that game then played most of the second half in the heavy conditions after Strachan came off injured.

Both sides had 11 players selected in the GPS sides which is indicative of the talent they have. It will no doubt be a great contest when they meet again hopefully on a drier track - on this occassion though Kings forwards got the better of their Joeys counterparts.
CTPE
At what stage in this match did the 4, 5, and 8 do anything of merit? The three lineouts against the throw, scrum totally dominated by Robertson, Carolan and Sandell causing Strachan off. I am sorry but whilst these lads might be big, I am of no doubt that they will have to spend many hours on the scrum machine to compete. If not for Strachan and McCalman doing a lot of the dirty work, who knows? Some good kicking in the 2nd half from Tourish and a bit of catch up Rugby from Joeys honestly made TKS look a lot better. I think that there is a lot to be taken from this game and I Agree with a lot of the kids from SJC that O'Donahue could feel a little hard done by, but good luck to boys in the GPS sides....

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
CTPE
At what stage in this match did the 4, 5, and 8 do anything of merit? The three lineouts against the throw, scrum totally dominated by Robertson, Carolan and Sandell causing Strachan off. I am sorry but whilst these lads might be big, I am of no doubt that they will have to spend many hours on the scrum machine to compete. If not for Strachan and McCalman doing a lot of the dirty work, who knows? Some good kicking in the 2nd half from Tourish and a bit of catch up Rugby from Joeys honestly made TKS look a lot better. I think that there is a lot to be taken from this game and I Agree with a lot of the kids from SJC that O'Donahue could feel a little hard done by, but good luck to boys in the GPS sides..

Matson (5) was in everything carting the ball up and making some great hits. Moylan (8) lead the Kings pack from the front in both defence and carries. They both scored tries - Matson from a great charge down and Moylan carrying three Joeys forwards over the line next to the posts - nothing of merit eh? Lee- Warner (4) provided plenty of mongrel at the breakdown which you obviously missed - the GPS selectors however didn't. Your'e absolutely kidding yourself about the scrums -tight heads won = 0. Take off the pink and blue blinkers and give credit where it's due as others who post here do when commenting objectively about a game.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Lee I don't understand your "they have only one arm in the scrum" comment as every prop whether LH or TH binds outside the scrum with their external arm. Their other internal arm is bound onto their own hooker.

( Edit: Lee I can understand your comment if you meant shoulder rather than arm?)

You have to read between the lines - sure his left arm is bound but he just has to let go his grip, he has freedom to do that - it is the right arm that is the one caught in the scrum. I would have added the word "caught" had I thought that anybody would have been unsure about what I meant. Obviously I should have.

Yes Sandell played lock last year but he scrummages OK at the schools level. He's obviously part of an 8 man pack using all the best players in a way that the scrum is strong. Typical Joeys. He's mobile but not as fast as Robertson who some Riverview backs could not catch when he burst out of a ruck to score a try last month. I've never seen Sandell do that ... so far.

I don't think his senior future will be as a prop as he doesn't have the build - whereas Robertson was born to prop up a scrum.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Take off the pink and blue blinkers and give credit where it's due as others who post here do when commenting objectively about a game.

CTPE,
What makes you think that your view IS the right one?
I stand by my remarks and honestly think that maybe I hit a raw nerve. A charged down kick was the difference and whilst you bathe in the glow of a trial match, it makes me wonder. And for your information, I went to this game to see the forward clash. I came away quite happy seeing "the ambling" as you so eloquently put it, Tom Robertson play. Ask young Eddie Jin how he feels today as you could see the sheer delight when he swapped sides of the scrum.
And finally no, I have no allegiance to SJC, so please remove the pale blue and white glasses. To all others that may choose to read this, make your own decisions.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
And for your information, I went to this game to see the forward clash. I came away quite happy seeing "the ambling" as you so eloquently put it, Tom Robertson play. Ask young Eddie Jin how he feels today as you could see the sheer delight when he swapped sides of the scrum.

Quite obviously it was not only the blinkers but the incessant rain that disrupted your vision - Jin started at tight head and remained there until he left the field with a leg injury late in the second half.

And finally no, I have no allegiance to SJC,

Your posts since joining the forums last month suggest otherwise.

F

fernando

What about Josh Schwager from Joeys?? He was one of the only 16 year olds playing 1sts and was a stand out in my opinion.
is still recovering from injury and will be back supposedly for the trial against shore

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
is still recovering from injury and will be back supposedly for the trial against shore

It's a pity that he's missed out on the GPS selections but he still has an excellent future ahead of him in rep rugby at a very high level.

Vanuatu Chiefs

Sydney Middleton (9)
Firstly, congratulations to all boys selected. The memories & experiences gained will undoubtedly linger long after they have played their last "Golden Oldies" match & assume armchair critic status like some of the rest of us.

Secondly, with the trial games now well under way & the spread of form/results, we are now 72 pages into this thread without a ball having been kicked in anger in the comp proper & Joeys2012 comment in his 1st post in 8/11 "next year will be the best competition the GPS has seen in many years" is looking more & more prophetic.

S

Steve McGregor

how did riverview vs scots does any one have reporst. who were the standouts from each team?

kings vs joeys was a blinder of a game kings forwards were terrific defensively and just were in the game longer than joeys were. this year truly is shaping up to be big!

Status
Not open for further replies.