• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Were these send offs or sin-bins? What were they marched for?

Scots no 2 Crossley was sent off in the first half for kicking a Kings player on the ground.

Scots no 6 Kamp was sent off in the second half for punching. Kings no 1 Strachan was yellow carded in the same incident.

J

jim boy

The Kings 1sts looked great out wide, and I think you can forget about the scrums when there not an 8v8 contest, but didn't the Scots front row dominate in the 2nds. Kings really struggled and failed to hold up the Scots Props collapsing too many times. It looked really ugly. But like the Kings 1sts the backline really looked good and dominated with ball in hand. They got them home with 4 second half tries.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Kings appear to have improved out of sight when they first played Newington in the first trial. Their 16A's were undefeated last year are their firsts heavily based on this team.

Kings lost that trial at New 19-12 but only had about 30% of the possession and a big penalty count against them. You're right about their round 3 contest at Kings having a big bearing on the premiership as will Kings round 5 game at View.

Only 5 of Kings current firsts are from their last years undefeated 16As - Matson, Bateman and McCalman in the forwards and Tulloch and Jones in the backs. Plenty of improvement from their firsts and seconds players from last year as is evident from the recent rep selections.

S

Sydneybra

Kings lost that trial at New 19-12 but only had about 30% of the possession and a big penalty count against them. You're right about their round 3 contest at Kings having a big bearing on the premiership as will Kings round 5 game at View.

Only 5 of Kings current firsts are from their last years undefeated 16As - Matson, Bateman and McCalman in the forwards and Tulloch and Jones in the backs. Plenty of improvement from their firsts and seconds players from last year as is evident from the recent rep selections.

They were lucky not to get a hiding from New with all the tries blown and opportunities that weren't taken by the New backs

therugbyman

Stan Wickham (3)
The first half of the Joeys/Shore game was quite scrappy. Joeys were winning 17-5 with about 5 to go in the half but shore capitalized on errors by the Joeys lads and finished the half only down by 2 points, 17-15.

The second half was very much one sided with the Joeys backline starting to show its capability. New inside center A.Pay played well recieving short balls from Deegan into to holes on numerus occasions. This lead to Joeys tries and much of the game being camped down Shores end. Outside center Barclay had a blinder breaking tackles and making them all day.

The shore back three and inside center were, in my opinion, the stand outs for shore. The back three started most tries with their counter attacks and kick returns. The shore inside scored the first try of the day with a barnstorming run from about 20m out breaking a few tackles along the way.

Standouts for Joeys- 1,7,10,12,13
Standouts for Shore- 11,12,14,15

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Shore 15 Joeys 31 [Halftime 15-17]

Joeys scored 4 tries to 2 at Northbridge to win their final GPS trial, but they wouldn't be completely satisfied with their performance.

Shore were the better team at the start and had a try on the board early, but at 10 mins. Joeys broke out and scored a brilliant try after the ball went through about 6 pairs of hands for 14. Newsome to score. Then Joeys' 13. Barclay scored an individual try when nothing was on. With the wind behind them, yet 5-17 down, Shore looked due for an uncomfortable afternoon. Then just before oranges a nicely placed kick for touch put them near the Joeys goal line and they broke through for a try soon after.

There was no scoring in the scrappy 3rd quarter but the Shore boys flagged in the 4th and Joeys finished over the top of them. 8. Watts scored a try through traffic and 13. Barclay finished them off with a 2nd individual try from nothing.

It was a bitter windy day and and a lot of the lads had trouble passing long with cold hands. Handling errors compromised attacking chances, but the loose ball offered break out opportunities for defenders. Holding onto the pill in the collisions was not easy either. Both teams should be congratulated for how they dealt with the weather - and the tacky surface, which made footwork difficult, especially around the cricket pitch area.

9. Pulver was not available for Shore, nor was the Joeys 6/8 O'Donahue, with a cork, nor their 9. Makasini. It was good to see 5. Schwager back for Joeys. It looks like he has put on some pork, but hasn't lost his skill, as he started the move that led to the Watts try in the 2nd half.

For Shore

• 15. Davies was hard to stop most times he had the ball and was almost too successful because whilst escaping from defenders he ran away from his supporting players also.

• 14. Oldham did some smart things and none better than setting up 12. Koukoulis with a perfect pass for a beautifully worked try...... that wasn't - because it was called back for an earlier incident. It deserved 5 points that effort.

• 10. Clancy was dangerous when taking on the line and drawing players so he could pass short, but his long passes in the wind with cold hands was often ropey. His tactical kicking in the wind was good except when he gave up 50 metres when kicking the ball dead in goal.

• 12. Kououlis was hard to stop in traffic and once I thought he should have passed near the Joeys goal line, but proved me wrong by forcing his way through for the try.

For Joeys

• The front row of 1. Robertson, 2. Carolan and 3. Sandell was dominant in the scrums and when Sandell had to be replaced after oranges and Carolan moved to THP, the Joeys scrum was just as imposing. Carolan had a great day individually and was always diligent in getting into position to do stuff, which sounds simple until you watch a lazy fatty doing the opposite and see the effect of the difference. Like Robertson he also made his mark with ball in hand.

• 4. Bartlett earned his promotion to the Ones for his work in the lineout alone. He bullied the Shore throwers and diverted some of their ball to his team.

• 6. Goldie was a complete pain in the arse all day- and I say that in a complimentary way. He made a nuisance of himself and spoiled many little endeavours of the Shore boys, not always lawfully, but in total, effectively.

• 12. Pay had a strong debut in the Ones and should hold his place on that showing. The nuggety inside centre is fast and elusive and made a few significant breaks. The fellow he replaced, the robust 15. Kay, made a good fist of the fullback role and broke a couple of tackles on attack, though he has more work to do in his role as a custodian.

Shore will have to improve their handling to take advantage of more of their chances. Their set piece work will have to get better also. Their forwards put in good efforts at the breakdown but they weren't as co-ordinated as the better drilled Joeys' forwards were, both with and without the ball. They have to be more alert against surprise moves by players like Barclay of Joeys. They also must not doze off in supporting their own ball runners.

Joeys will have to improve their goal defence because both Shore tries were scored from close quarters and too easily. They also have to make do with fewer players at the ruck as they have wanted defenders wide out in every trial game this year. A better back line that that of Shore would have punished them more.

Their discipline has to improve also. They were pinged too often for going off their feet, especially in the first half.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Kings have a touch greater rep talent in the backs than Scots with everyone of their backs being involved in the Oz Schools Championships. Ferris, Foketi and Jones also played for Oz Schools.

You are right about Kings 12 Will Davies - he had an excellent game both in attack and defence and easily ran around Kellaway to score. Harry Jones didn't see a lot of ball but was dangerous every time he touched it and left Kellaway grasping at thin air went he stepped him one on one to score. To be fair to Kellaway he was often left alone facing a heap of Kings traffic as their backs ran riot and he was Scots most dangerous attacking player - would love to see him go looking for the ball a bit more.
no doubt Scots were disrupted without Stewart(?) but they still had 2 oz schools players out there didnt they?
Based on 25 minutes with all the numbers issues my hunch is that Davies will be the key to the TKS season.
Kellaway should have had him. Plenty of time and he was 3/4 of the way to having the right angle but with jones pace that's easy to say after the event and from the stands.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Goldie was a complete pain in the arse all day- and I say that in a complimentary way. He made a nuisance of himself and spoiled many little endeavours of the Shore boys, not always lawfully, but in total, effectively.

I'm sure there must be a subject that all Joeys loose forwards take in this style of play :) It has been very effective for them for many, many years and perhaps only the All Blacks do it better.

G

G-78-XV-V

Is there currently available, or will someone maintain a thread, or a current site, that will keep a GPS table up-to date. eg; scores, championship points and for / against etc??

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
We tried that last year with the idea that forum members could pitch in and make the amendments week by week but that fizzled out because forum members didn't participate. It was for the Twos and U/16s also and hardly anybody contributed after a while.

We could look at doing it for the Ones only with the moderators doing it, I suppose. Is that OK? Or because it's the Ones only it could be in the form of a sticky.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
We tried that last year with the idea that forum members could pitch in and make the amendments week by week but that fizzled out because forum members didn't participate. It was for the Twos and U/16s also and hardly anybody contributed after a while.

We could look at doing it for the Ones only with the moderators doing it, I suppose. Is that OK? Or because it's the Ones only it could be in the form of a sticky.
Could we start the season with the table being based on Naplan so Grammar and HIgh can be in first and second?

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Is there currently available, or will someone maintain a thread, or a current site, that will keep a GPS table up-to date. eg; scores, championship points and for / against etc??

The AAGPS have a table for the firsts and seconds premiership which they update weekly. With the 3rds now playing for a title and trophy I expect that their results will probably be put up this year as well. The table from last year can be found at this link:

http://portals.studentnet.edu.au/sports/uploads/DocArchive/DOCARC0003260.htm

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Scots no 2 Crossley was sent off in the first half for kicking a Kings player on the ground.

Scots no 6 Kamp was sent off in the second half for punching. Kings no 1 Strachan was yellow carded in the same incident.
Obviously Kamp ain't that smart. I wouldn't punch Strachan come hell nor high water. Have a go atthe bloke! I think only Robertson from Joeys would have his measure.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Shore 15 Joeys 31 [Halftime 15-17]

Joeys will have to improve their goal defence because both Shore tries were scored from close quarters and too easily. They also have to commit fewer players to the ruck as they have wanted defenders wide out in every trial game this year. A better backline that that of Shore would have punished them more.

Their discipline has to improve also. They were pinged too often for going off their feet, especially in the first half.
Good to see you tucked up in the stand yesterday LG. One question. I was speaking with quite a few older people there, and not one person could ever recall a player carrying the ball, being penalised for "going over" as in the case of No.8 Watts had in the first half. He was the ball carrier when he hit the ground, the silly fellow with the whistle, blew it and signalled that he left his feet. I really think that both sets of spectatators just shook their collective heads and thought Little Jonny Kaplan had taken over the game. Your thoughts, or any one else's?

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
I'm sure there must be a subject that all Joeys loose forwards take in this style of play :) It has been very effective for them for many, many years and perhaps only the All Blacks do it better.
Oh come on, You have one the best I have seen with young Jack McCalman, this lad is born to annoy the shit out of you. Honestly the best 7 at your school if not in NSW. One day the coaches will wake up that he only gives <1 penalty a half, stays on his feet, and belts blokes. Love him, hate him, definitely the best at TKS

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)

What is the procedure as far as a judiciary goes? Seems that " kicking a player on the ground" would attract more than the red card sanction! Apologies in advance for my ignorance! :confused:

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
What is the procedure as far as a judiciary goes? Seems that " kicking a player on the ground" would attract more than the red card sanction! Apologies in advance for my ignorance! :confused:

Last year Oli McCarthy got a weeks suspension after getting red for a spear tackle. Think it might be just a one week ban for anyone who gets red.

S

Scare Crow

The Kings 1sts looked great out wide, and I think you can forget about the scrums when there not an 8v8 contest, but didn't the Scots front row dominate in the 2nds. Kings really struggled and failed to hold up the Scots Props collapsing too many times. It looked really ugly. But like the Kings 1sts the backline really looked good and dominated with ball in hand. They got them home with 4 second half tries.

It looked that way to me, but I think Kings have a problem up front 1-3 in both teams, the rest of the 1sts and 2nds combined well and have got better and better during the trials. In the 2nds Black was a clear standout on the side of the scrum, he had a really good go against Scots and Joeys and could easily slide into the 1sts. Davis played nicely at 9 as did Tregonning at 15. However they need Jin (injured) back in the 1sts and need some size up front in the 2nds who were clearly too small to get the job done at Scots. Wait until they get to Newington in round 2, if Scots could cause that much trouble what will New do ? but if they get this area sorted I reckon both teams have a shot at the Premiership.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Last year Oli McCarthy got a weeks suspension after getting red for a spear tackle. Think it might be just a one week ban for anyone who gets red.
It surely depends on the offence.
It used to be the school's decision as to the punishment.
Subject to the spear tackle having been deliberate I would have thought kicking someone was in a much more serious category but I didn't see the incident.

Status
Not open for further replies.