• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark7

Stan Wickham (3)
King's lost to a talented Scots side 71-19. The King's back line was King's weakness as star players Foketi, Jones and Tulloch where out. King's Forward Pack had an average game but the Scots backs were to good for Kings as they broke through Kings back line time- after- time

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
King's lost to a talented Scots side 71-19. The King's back line was King's weakness as star players Foketi, Jones and Tulloch where out. King's Forward Pack had an average game but the Scots backs were to good for Kings as they broke through Kings back line time- after- time
Yowsers

Warwick

Peter Burge (5)
New beat View 36-29 in a heart stopper. In the first half New would be dominant for a period of play them would let view back into the game with some ordinary defence. 22-22 at half- time and New supporters were frustrated this side was making poor choices in defence which view exploited with three tries. At the start of the second half New came out on fire and put down two excellent tries, 36-22. At this stage New looked to be gaining ascendency and had they maintained this level of dominance a sore approaching 50 was within sight. But as with Shore last week and Kings in round 1, New seemed to switch off and this allowed View back into the game with a try 36-29. There the scored remained until fulltime. Nevertheless despite these lapses the Newington College 1st XV side of 2012 now enters into the schools History as GPS champions for only the second time and have gained our 9th premiership. And nothing will ever take that away from the boys who now memories they carry with them for the rest of their lives. Well Done Boys you have done your school,your team and yourselves proud.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
That was a good win by Joeys ; it was only for third place but both sets of boys played like the chokkies were on the the line.

The Ref 94 will give his match report in the blog but there were a couple of key moments. Once before oranges Shore attacked for a long time but tenacious SJC defence kept them out and a Joeys lad kicked the pill through. Next thing you knew Joeys were over at the other end.

There was another long Shore attacking session that was hurled back in the 2nd half.

In the wash up Joeys seized their big moments better and Shore lacked a bit of zing in the backs, though the kick through to the winger for their first try was full of merit.

Well done to Joeys for improving after being 1 for 3 earlier in the the season and to Shore - if there was a team prize for the season I would give it to them. They looked as well coached as any team I saw this year.

Well done to the Joeys 2nd and 3rds for winning their comps. They played some wonderful rugby today.

Jaghond

Ted Fahey (11)
Congratulations to New - Up 36 - 29 over a gallant View by the sounds of things.
Sorry Mrk - Kings totally outplayed across the paddock - by both Scots Backs & Forwards. Dunbar & Crichton particularly impressive - but you are correct , Scots backs simply sliced & diced the Kings backs at will. Running it from all over the field, with limited kicking ( a kellaway kick, chase and regather a gem).
Horwitz a simply commanding display at fly half - and put a sensational hit on one of the kings forwards trying to barge through. Scots scrum impressive today with a number of big scrums - despite their smallish size.
Kings obviously missed their 3 backs - but nevertheless, Tourish and co tried hard - but were simply outplayed today.
Good luck to all of the Year 12's with their HSC exams approaching.
Cheers
The Hound

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Correct me if I am wrong, but there hasn't been a single anomaly the entire season..ie every team has beaten the teams below them on the ladder and lost to the teams above them..that's rare.

Primetime

Allen Oxlade (6)
All those at Weigall today I'm sure can agree upon the quality an intensity of all the games. The usual rivalry was shown between Grammar and High. The seconds was a free flowing contest, as Grammar won comfortably by 53 to 5. The firsts was, despite the score line, a game that was both even and one way; while High kept their noses in it, it still appeared as though Grammar dominated the match, winning by about 34 to 12.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
Well done new...and congrats to tsc on a good season ....don't suppose you want a rematch do you new?.....over to 2013 thread....next season shaping once again towards an anyone's flag

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Agree - evidently there is no sanction at High for foul language.
Some of the war cries I havent heard since colts and even then they probsbly amounted to a a breach of the Summary Offences Act.
To be fair the bloke who seemed to be at the heart of the attempt to start the fight seemed to me to be an old boy, judging by the clothes he was wearing.
The jeering during the Grammar kicks at goal was another blight.

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
After todays games its time for Random2s summary of the 2012 season

NEWINGTON - GPS champions for the second time in three years. Look to be the team to beat all year and only had one loss in the trial against Scots. I think the best thing about them was the respect they had for their opponents. The only reason they dont get a 10/10 is because of the closeness in the games against Shore and View. With players like Moerea, Milne and Cannell to return next year, Newington will like there chances. 9.5/10

SCOTS - After the trials they looked liked they could be cellar dwellers for this year but after the big win against Joeys they became premiership threats. Unfortunately for them they couldn't get the job done against Newington. They had one of the best schoolboy back lines i have seen and their absolute thrashing against Kings today was a good way to finish. 8.5/10

JOEYS - Mixed feeling about this year. The loss to Scots was a real shock and they really should have gone to Stanmore to play for the title. For such a small forward pack they played well above their weight and i believe they were the best in the competition this year. It was a shame the backs couldn't connect early because when they did later on they became real threats. The win against Shore today restored some pride, but with many players in 1st and the premiership winning 2nds returning next year it should be a good one. Must congratulated Joeys on claiming 4 out of the 5 major winter trophies (2nds and 3rds rugby, 1st and 2nds football). 7/10

SHORE - their early form placed them as premiership contenders, but losing their last 3 games puts them back down to 4th. Their effort against Newington and their extremely physical showing today at Joeys are high points. The strength of their year 10s including Woodhill and the Clancys aswell as some great players in 2s and 16as show good signs for next year. If the Clancys do pathways theyre my pick for the 2014 season. 7/10

KINGS - looked like they were the team to beat after the trials, but only had 2 wins in the comp season. A few key injuries late hurt them. The hammering today against Scots is the nail in the coffin. If Jones does leave the school it will be a massive blow for there 2013 campaign. 3/10

RIVERVIEW - had three of the best schoolboy players in Australia yet they could only come away with one win. Lack of depth really hurt them this season and injuries to their big 3 really hurt them. In the game against Joeys Dempsey and Rourke were shut down effectively and i suspect the same had in their other games. A disappointing year for View, but i very strong 16s year group should give them some hope for next year. 3/10

GRAMMAR - they started out okay with fairly respectable loses to Newington and Shore. But a 100-0 loss to Kings and 97-0 loss to Joeys took all the hard work away. 114-5 against Scots wasnt great either. Big question mark over whether theyll be back next year, for the sake of their fairly strong 16s group i hope they are. 2/10

G

GPS1986

Firstly, I'd like to congratulate Newington on and a well earned and undisputed premiership, next year they will be in a good position for a repeat as well.

I was in attendance at Weigall today, and although for most of the day it was very enjoyable, the event previously mentioned by others in relation to the a particular high spectator and his actions was a bit of a shame. Oh well, still a good day of footy.

Primetime

Allen Oxlade (6)
Oh and may I give my full congratulations to Newington for such an outstanding season. While I may take exception to their policies, the conduct and demeanor of their boys is a pleasure to witness, and they show humility rarely seen in conjuction with such talent. Bravo.

northman91

Frank Nicholson (4)
Congratulations to the Newington 1st XV - Undefeated GPS Champions. It's great to see that now Scots and Newington are up there with the big 4 schools now making the majority of the games competitive. About 5 years ago Scots and Newington were generally a given win for the big 4, but now these days any of these 6 schools can knock each other off. It's also great to see Grammar, TAS and High also playing in competitions and on that note congratulations to Joeys for taking out the 2nd and 3rd XV competitions.

Special mention should be made about the character of the Grammar 1st XV. To be able to come back each week and play for the whole 70 minutes shows true heart and determination to play for their school and their team mates. Whilst they struggled towards the end of the season they had respectable losses to Shore and Newington before I believe injuries started to test their depth. I hope that they stay in the 1st XV competition and the there U16s age group is as strong as it is hyped up to be. It's also great to see TAS competing in the 2nd XV and High in the 3rd XV with both sides field very competitive teams.

Many people discuss the possibility of combining GPS/CAS/ISA competitions. However, as a GPS old boy, its the rivalries that we develop amongst these schools over the past 100 years that make GPS footy fantastic to watch. To have over 5000 people at a ground cheering on a side that around 1500 of their school mates have the upmost faith in is remarkable. These year 7 boys watch the 1st XV train and dream to run out in their final year on SJC 1 representing their 1st XV. Or slotting the winning conversion on White Oval to win the game for their school. It's these dreams and traditions that make the whole experience of school life and GPS sport so wonderful and creates memories that these boys will look back on forever.

Yes it would be a great game to see Newington play St Augustines or Oakhill. However for the boys at the GPS schools, the old boys, and the wider school community, they know that there is 7 rounds of rugby that count for them. Each week is treated like a Grand Final and thats what makes the GPS competition fantastic.

coachthinks

Frank Row (1)
The Grammar High game was a good spectacle, whilst I didn't see the off field incident the game itself was a beauty. Well done to Grammar, final score was 31-17 and not as reported above. What a great year of rugby all sound for all schools. Congratulations to New on their season premier ship

Status
Not open for further replies.