• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Looks like agreement has finally been reached. Probably the right thing, although the sentimentalist in me likes the idea of all teams from opens to 13s of 2 schools playing each other in rugby and soccer on the same day.

My main concern with the 6 team 10 round competition is how do Grammar ever get back in? Just because their current administration neglects their sporting heritage, shouldn't condemn the school to forever in the wilderness. They have been a proud and successful GPS rugby school for over 100 years and ideally, in my view, they should be part of the 1sts. (Although not until they do something about their coaching program and lift themselves to the appropriate standard)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
True, but the current administration seem to treat sport with contempt. Over at High with a similar demographic and far less resources they are successful at non-rugby sports such as basketball and volleyball as they recognise the importance of sport to young men (even intelligent ones). The fact that there is any rugby still going at High is a tribute to the hard work of the rugby people there and support and encouragement from above.

Jaghond

Ted Fahey (11)
It should be a relatively simple task to show the GPS Headmasters that they deserve to be re-admitted - display competitiveness in the sport across the board - as they do in tennis, cricket, recently rowing etc.

The mechanics of amending the drwa for any competition is a relatively simple thing - if you are that way inclined - and has been shown with the preparation of the presentation to the GPS Headmasters (from whence the decision to accept the change to the Competition was made) - draws for both Rugby & Football for the whole season, for EVERY team, were tabled. To add in one ( or 2 or even 3) schools would be basically a mathematical exersize, with a huge degeree of patience & knowledge about the sysytem, thrown in.

Get the basics right, and there should be no reason why they couldn't - or even shouldn't, be permitted to participate. In my humble opinion, anyway.

And for the record - I sincerely hope that they take on the challenge and get back - SGS have too proud a history of sporting achievement to let this solidify into permanency.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Jaghond - firstly, I dont think its about readmission - no ones been expelled or anything like that.
Remember that TAS do not compete in the head of the river.
Secondly, I suspect that this was Grammar's decision rather than a decision of the other schools that they didn't want to play Grammar - there may be an element of semantics in that because I'm sure the other schools (but probably not all of them) let Grammar know that the last 2 years werent doing a hell of a lot for the game.
If you go back through the threads you will see that this decision was actually taken a year ago and then reversed because this year's Grammar leavers wanted to play 1st XV's and overbore the headmaster/sportsmaster's decision that they shouldn't.
Finally, it ill behoves any of the other schools to start focussing attention on grammar or high's rugby performances: see schools scholarship thread, head of the river results, cricket etc. But most importantly the AAGPS only exists as a historic throwback - it is only about history and tradition and being part of something bigger than the indvidual: if you were to start chucking schools out you would pretty soon undermine the whole reason for the existence of the system.
A better rugby competition could be built in a trice if anyone in the AAGPS wanted that - so clearly they dont!

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Jaghond - firstly, I dont think it's about readmission - no one's been expelled or anything like that.
Remember that TAS do not compete in the Head of the River.

They did this year, for the first time. Had a crew in the Third IV and came third!

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Absolutely agree that AAGPS is far, far bigger than rugby, which is what is say to rugby friends who want to restructure schoolboy rugby in some sort of promotion/relegation system. The relationship between these schools is special and irreplaceable, which makes it such a pity that 2 of them feel unable to compete at 1st and 2nd XV rugby. I'm sure that you are right and Grammar took the decision themselves based on scores this year. I think it's a tragedy that neither High or Grammar can compete. High are at the mercy of the State government bureaucrats, while Grammar seem to have played some part in their own demise.

To illustrate the point, in 2007 (I think) I went to Scots to watch a friend of mine's son play 16As for Scots against Grammar. Scots had never beaten Grammar in the age group since 13s and thought that it was their year. Grammar spoiled the party and won. (Tackled like demons and threw themselves into every ruck maul like men possessed) I spoke to my friend's son and I can tell you that he and his mates valued a win against High or Grammar more highly than beating Waverley or Knox, because they were 'GPS games' and had something undefineable about them. Once they got to opens they beat Grammar in the next 2 years.

I believe that all of the AAGPS schools want to see the association to continue and hope that an 8 team (or 9) competition can return at some time.

Until then, having 6 evenly matched 1st XVs is the next best thing. Newington won this year but 3 of the wins were by less than 1 try, so they could conceiveably have finished 3rd or 4th.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
OK from what I'm hearing it's basically next to no trial games and then straight into a 10 game home and away season - a historical season in terms of providing equal home /away advantages - given the length of the season including the GPSv CAS V CHS + National Championships + Oz Schoolboys games sandwiched in the school holidays between rounds it seems like the sides with the most depth from 1sts to 3rds and possibly least schoolboy reps may be best placed premiership wise?

gpsoldboy

Chris McKivat (8)
OK from what I'm hearing it's basically next to no trial games and then straight into a 10 game home and away season - a historical season in terms of providing equal home /away advantages - given the length of the season including the GPSv CAS V CHS + National Championships + Oz Schoolboys games sandwiched in the school holidays between rounds it seems like the sides with the most depth from 1sts to 3rds and possibly least schoolboy reps may be best placed premiership wise?

Based on this year's results in the 1's, 2's, 3's, 4's and 16A's & 16B's Joeys will probably have the most depth and should start as favourites?

main event

Stan Wickham (3)
Corey Tulloch NSW 2's five eight is making a move to number 7 next year due to being the leading pilferer for The Kings School first XV. Updated team for 2013
1. Lucas Bateman
2. Jono Burke
3. James King
4. Ben Stacy
5. Rob Black
6. Sam Connor
7. Corey Tulloch
8. David Ballantyne
9. Rory Davis
10. Charlie Friend
11. Jack McCalman
12. Will Davies
13. Taufa Tofu (tongan 18's player of the year)
14. Oliver Martin
15. James Kane

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
Corey Tulloch NSW 2's five eight is making a move to number 7 next year due to being the leading pilferer for The Kings School first XV. Updated team for 2013

Is this player new to kings?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
As reported previously throughout G&G there are a number of rumours circulating for rugby in 2013. These are:
a) GPS going to 2 rounds
b) Aust U17 tournament in Easter / ARU Gold Squad tournament at Easter
c) conference style tournament in term 3 (played after GPS,CAS,ISA have finished their comps)

I have looked at a 2 round option for GPS and it looks pretty ugly for trials etc. (I assume Athletics could be relocated to Term 4).

View attachment 2950
note: home team listed first

George Smith, With a "rejuvenated"/"revitalised" AJRU keen to get dibs on the U15 and U17 champs, ARU running U16's, and Aust SRU running U18 champs, what do your snouts and chicken entrail readers tell you about a potential softening of the release of U17 and U15 boys from GPS programmes for the National Club Championships.

With these fingered for Easter 2013 as per your option 1 calendar, they would be a good lead in fitness wise for the GPS competitions.

IIRC the SJRU season will not have started by Easter, so the U17 State Selectors would have to rely on 2013 form, and probably be heavily influenced by progress reports from the JGS/NGS programme.

I like the concept of an Easter Tournament but a National U17 champ would put a lot of pressure on the Clubs to get their act together over the summer when kids should be at the beach and doing summer stuff. Having it at the start of the season it would be like a 2012 U16 reunion rather than a 2013 U17 championship, allowing for a full rugby season of development after the U16 champs.

Was there any thought to doing the National U17's in the September Holidays?

Playmaker

Frank Nicholson (4)
1. Lucas Bateman
2. Jono Burke
3. James King
4. Ben Stacy
5. Rob Black
6. Sam Connor
7. Corey Tulloch
8. David Ballantyne
9. Rory Davis
10. Charlie Friend
11. Jack McCalman
12. Will Davies
14. Oliver Martin
15. James Kane
main event a truly interesting thought, there is no doubt Tulloch has the talent as i thought he was a chance at Australian schools. however i thought sam connor would be a better 4 or 5 as i think he is quite tall from memory??

main event

Stan Wickham (3)
Taufa Tofu is a talented musician on a scholarship from tonga who has later proven himself to be a formidable rugby player ! I think he will fit very nicely in the 1st XV and possibly even higher representation

Status
Not open for further replies.