• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Good to hear all of this IS. Perhaps something Grammar could do is reassess its academic scholarship program - I assume that it's just academically test based for those entering in Yr 7? Or do they do an interview as well and look at other talents?

I've known a number of very good rep level school boy rugby players and athletes who are in the A-C stream academically and are also talented in the fields of music, drama, debating etc. Perhaps Grammar should be assisting the academic all rounder rather than pure scholars. This would benefit Grammar long term wise and also the boys given the academic standards Grammar has established over the decades.

Its complicated as far as I understand it.
The year 7 intake is comprised of 60 boys from each of the prep schools and 60 boys from outside: making a year of 180 - which is well down on some schools. I am told, for instance, that SIC regualrly trial 180 kids for rugby in year 7, with 220 in a year.
Boys at either of the prep schools are assessed for their suitability to attend high school but they don't sit a formal entrance exam. Boys from outside the prep schools sit an exam and undergo an interview, with family. The person conducting that is a keen sports follower and is wary of anyone whose answer to what they do when their not doing school work is vague or patchy - so he's looking for kids who are not coached and are a little more rounded than the grammar stereotype would have it.
Now if you get past all that there are a number of scholarships - one for music. All but a very few scholarships are means tested which leads to a very interesting situation.
There are 3 academically streamed classes in year 7: the balance are general and are not graded. The vast majority of scholarship holders are not in the top 3 classes! That means that the widely held idea that Grammar attracts the best kids by offering them a free ride is quite wrong: the best kids are better than the majority of kids on scholarships.
The upshot is that for a school that says its aim is to prepare kids for university (and does not mean by that university rugby!) there's not a lot of scope for getting kids in and maintaining what they see as the ethos.
I think this means that it a hearts and minds exercise to get kids thinking about playing rugby when their backgrounds either dismiss all sport or favour soccer. One thing I find encouraging is that, despite the inroads of other sports, the boys do seem to take a much greater interest in rugby than their participation rate suggests: even the soccer players, for instance, will go to tahs games!
As you can gather I am optimistic for rugby at Grammar: i dont expect them to win premierships but i do expect them to get back to a point where schools who take them lightly pay the price.

The Yugoslavian Wolf

Herbert Moran (7)
Id really like to see Grammar have a go. They've lain dormant in the GPS Rugby as of late, after being a powerhouse for a number of years through the 80's/90's. If they can prove a point and get back into that 1st Grade competition, I believe it will be excellent for the sport. Having a few intellects within the AAGPS Rugby will ensure a different type of game compared with the brute force tactics of Newington, Joeys, Kings, Scots Riverview etc etc. Thoughts?

Wolf Out.

The Yugoslavian Wolf

Herbert Moran (7)
Id also like to add that im looking forward to seeing Josh Mitchell play for Newington this season. Although hes a very likely 1st XV member, it will be tough for him to make it into the centre with Taane and Tepai slotting in at 12 and 13 respectively. He will be a crucial player in the backline, his strong defense and good running game will also put him in contention for a GPS Rugby position. Anyone can look at the 2nd XV video of Newington on YouTube to note just how good this young man is.

Wolf Out.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
Id also like to add that im looking forward to seeing Josh Mitchell play for Newington this season. Although hes a very likely 1st XV member, it will be tough for him to make it into the centre with Taane and Tepai slotting in at 12 and 13 respectively. He will be a crucial player in the backline, his strong defense and good running game will also put him in contention for a GPS Rugby position. Anyone can look at the 2nd XV video of Newington on YouTube to note just how good this young man is.

I saw Josh out at Blacktown AAGPS athletics last week and he looks in really good nick! He has bulked up but lost none of his speed - I expect him to have a good season! Even if New persist with Milne at 11 remember that Ellis Abrahams is still there and he had a good year at 12 in 2012. I see Josh at 14 or 15, unless Abrahams goes to 15 where that raking left boot of his will come into play. Cheers, Wreckless :)

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
Id really like to see Grammar have a go. They've lain dormant in the GPS Rugby as of late, after being a powerhouse for a number of years through the 80's/90's. If they can prove a point and get back into that 1st Grade competition, I believe it will be excellent for the sport. Having a few intellects within the AAGPS Rugby will ensure a different type of game compared with the brute force tactics of Newington, Joeys, Kings, Scots Riverview etc etc. Thoughts?

Wolf Out.
Maybe think before you type...that last comment is beyond comprehension and I'm pretty sure most "intellects" at Grammar and New,Joeys,Kings, Scots and View would agree....

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Maybe think before you type.that last comment is beyond comprehension and I'm pretty sure most "intellects" at Grammar and New,Joeys,Kings, Scots and View would agree..
I assumed the whole post was a wind up.
I dont think the late 80's or early 90's produced too many Grammar powerhouse performances so i took it as a piss take. Maybe he meant 1890's.

Warwick

Peter Burge (5)

Wolf Out.
Grammar haven't been a powerhouse in GPS rugby since the 1970's. the rot started in the late 70's but real gained force in the 80's when more boys started playing soccer. The rot was aided by two Headmasters who basically hated rugby and sort cultural and and academic pursuits over sport. In 1999 Riverview beat a substandard ( Two props were flown down from TAS to fill out numbers and positions) Grammar side 109-0. At this point the then GPS Headmasters told Grammar to get their act together or be thrown out of the GPS. The Headmaster left that year some saying, because of his attitude towards sport and particularly rugby

They did briefly make improvements that lasted barely ten years but have sinced eroded. I been told by teachers over the years the attitude of some Grammar Teachers leaves a lot to be desired as coaches. Further Grammar Old Boys and parents have also indicated that Grammar's attitude within the school is one of apathy towards rugby.

A school that fields only Three or Two teams in each age group is going to struggle against schools who possess Gs, Hs, Is or even Js as in the case of View. So Grammar can institute all the reforms they like, but they will be pointless as there is a "quality about quanity".

So unless Grammar follow a policy of strength through team and playing numbers they engaging in nothing more than "Rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic".
What is needed at Grammar is to reinvent the School Culture that favours the "all Rounder" and sets mandatory numbers of rugby teams players.

If parents want only academic acheivement and no involvement in sport the Selective High School System offers such a system. I too want a strong Grammar sides playing GPS rugby but the school is going to have to make fudamental changes within itself, before we ever see a Sydney Grammar School that wins more than loses against top GPS opposition.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Grammar haven't been a powerhouse in GPS rugby since the 1970's. the rot started in the late 70's but real gained force in the 80's when more boys started playing soccer.

Geez - i have to defend the late 70's and early 80's.
In 1978 and 1980 SGS beat SJC @ Hunters Hill.
In 1978 SGS beat Newington @ Stanmore to deny them the premiership in the final game.
In 1980 SGS played SIC for the premiership in the final game of the season.
Grammar hasnt won more than its lost since the late 60's - back in those days the spread of ability, being suntantially random, among the schools meant that there were frequently premiers who had lost games.
Im afraid that the school has always emphasised academics but the requirements for academic excellence have increased: a fact most of the other GPS schools seem to ignore.
These kids are at school to get an education. The 5 or 10 each year from the whole system who ever make a living playing rugby seem to dictate the agenda.
Let it never be forgotten that Sydney Grammar School has produced more Wallaby Captains than any other school.

Warwick

Peter Burge (5)
Geez - i have to defend the late 70's and early 80's.
In 1978 and 1980 SGS beat SJC @ Hunters Hill.
In 1978 SGS beat Newington @ Stanmore to deny them the premiership in the final game.
In 1980 SGS played SIC for the premiership in the final game of the season.
Grammar hasnt won more than its lost since the late 60's - back in those days the spread of ability, being suntantially random, among the schools meant that there were frequently premiers who had lost games.
Im afraid that the school has always emphasised academics but the requirements for academic excellence have increased: a fact most of the other GPS schools seem to ignore.
These kids are at school to get an education. The 5 or 10 each year from the whole system who ever make a living playing rugby seem to dictate the agenda.
Let it never be forgotten that Sydney Grammar School has produced more Wallaby Captains than any other school.

Nobody is disputing Grammar's excellent record up to the 70s ( Including 14 premierships) and you are correct in the examples given . However from 1981 Grammar failed to win a GPS game until 1985. Was very competive in 86 & 87 but dropped off from them onwards and only at the best won three GPS matches in one season. But main point is that Newington, Knox, Barker Joeys and Trinity are also great educators of boys. The difference is a more balanced educational format at these schools. At Newington in the 70s we did community service in areas such as nursing homes and that was real education. No point being academically brilliant if you lack the social skills to mix in the modern Australian society of the 21st century. Yes brilliant academic education at Grammar, but rugby itself is education in the development of a young man and learning the and values of mateship, teamwork, leadership and believing in something greater than oneshelf are the cornerstone of a well rounded education.

Mate,I just find it so disappointing that such a once excellent rugby school has had these traditions trashed by attitudes of apathy

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Newington, Knox, Barker Joeys and Trinity

Surely you jest?
In every case, comprehensive non-selective high schools ranked higher than those schools in the 2012 HSC - this is an example of the delusion people are under concerning the academic results of the "rugby" schools.
Unless these schools attract the idiot children of the aristocracy their results should be no worse than comprehensive non-selective high schools. In reality they should do better than such high schools.
http://bettereducation.com.au/results/hsc.aspx

All schools, even academic ones, have community based programs.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Surely you jest?
In every case, comprehensive non-selective high schools ranked higher than those schools in the 2012 HSC - this is an example of the delusion people are under concerning the academic results of the "rugby" schools.
Unless these schools attract the idiot children of the aristocracy their results should be no worse than comprehensive non-selective high schools. In reality they should do better than such high schools.
http://bettereducation.com.au/results/hsc.aspx

All schools, even academic ones, have community based programs.

IS the highest ranked of these schools is Knox at 43rd with Barker close by at 45th - looking above them I can't see too many "comprehensive non-selective high schools"?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
IS the highest ranked of these schools is Knox at 43rd with Barker close by at 45th - looking above them I can't see too many "comprehensive non-selective high schools"?
True, my mistake.
Newington, joeys and trinity are all behind such schools.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
How does any of this relate to this years firsts competition. I guess he, the moderator, is happy to indulge you. I wish all had this benefit when completely off topic.

T

Tight head Lion

Can you explain the attached article?

http://www.theroar.com.au/2012/03/21/daniel-anderson-to-join-the-coaching-ranks-at-joeys/

Do you think if I up Daniel Anderson's hourly rate to $22.75 a hour, he will come and coach the local Under 9's?

DanielAnderson is actually a Maths Teacher and was employed to cover a long service leave. He taught a full load of 5 classes. (this is 42 periods out of 60 over a two week cycle.) This is 36 more than a head coach at another GPS school.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
DanielAnderson is actually a Maths Teacher and was employed to cover a long service leave. He taught a full load of 5 classes. (this is 42 periods out of 60 over a two week cycle.) This is 36 more than a head coach at another GPS school.

I guess as long as he was paid the standard salary of a Joeys Maths Teacher, he can't be considered an outside 'hired gun' coach.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
He's still on Ch 9 - to his credit he was the only one speaking english last night

Shows the benefit of having at one stage in your life a career outside of professional football.

It's what worries me about footballers going straight from high school to professional sport. Working in a regular job helps develop social skills, provides mentoring in general life skills from work mates and dispute resolution skills that don't involve punching someone.

smokinjoe

Ward Prentice (10)
Lloyd McDermott champions again coming from behind and beating Scots in extra time at 7s tournament today

Status
Not open for further replies.