• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Geez - i have to defend the late 70's and early 80's.
In 1978 and 1980 SGS beat SJC @ Hunters Hill.
In 1978 SGS beat Newington @ Stanmore to deny them the premiership in the final game.
In 1980 SGS played SIC for the premiership in the final game of the season.
Grammar hasnt won more than its lost since the late 60's - back in those days the spread of ability, being suntantially random, among the schools meant that there were frequently premiers who had lost games.
Im afraid that the school has always emphasised academics but the requirements for academic excellence have increased: a fact most of the other GPS schools seem to ignore.
These kids are at school to get an education. The 5 or 10 each year from the whole system who ever make a living playing rugby seem to dictate the agenda.
Let it never be forgotten that Sydney Grammar School has produced more Wallaby Captains than any other school.
The 1st XV came equal 3rd in 1985 (don't think they used For / Against, just comp points) and also in 1986. Not bad, but not at the pointiest end.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The 1st XV came equal 3rd in 1985 (don't think they used For / Against, just comp points) and also in 1986. Not bad, but not at the pointiest end.
Couple of good players in those years - Brad Harrison played first grade for Gordon and was physio to Oz Schools or some other rep side

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Couple of good players in those years - Brad Harrison played first grade for Gordon and was physio to Oz Schools or some other rep side
Each year had about 6-7 in GPS teams; in '85 the #9 and 10 played GPS then NSW Firsts, 9 made train-on for Oz Schools; in '86 the same 10 made Oz Schools too.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Each year had about 6-7 in GPS teams; in '85 the #9 and 10 played GPS then NSW Firsts, 9 made train-on for Oz Schools; in '86 the same 10 made Oz Schools too.
10 was Moffat wasn't he?
Lost interest after school I believe.
Went to the rats but hardly played.
Who was the 9?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Loved his surfing too much!
Tim Ewington. Played for Norths, I believe. Or was it the Rats too?
Norths - he may have played for Warringah first - but he was playing breakaway there when I coached him in the early 90's.
I coached Harrison in colts and quite a few other Grammar boys from those years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The GPS Rower

Herbert Moran (7)
I saw Josh out at Blacktown AAGPS athletics last week and he looks in really good nick! He has bulked up but lost none of his speed - I expect him to have a good season! Even if New persist with Milne at 11 remember that Ellis Abrahams is still there and he had a good year at 12 in 2012. I see Josh at 14 or 15, unless Abrahams goes to 15 where that raking left boot of his will come into play. Cheers, Wreckless :)
any talk on where to place robertson in the team

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Shows the benefit of having at one stage in your life a career outside of professional football.

It's what worries me about footballers going straight from high school to professional sport. Working in a regular job helps develop social skills, provides mentoring in general life skills from work mates and dispute resolution skills that don't involve punching someone.

Sounds like our PM

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
any talk on where to place robertson in the team

Robertson will be somewhere in the mix - coming off the rowing season he will be fit and ready to go! There will be a lot of competition for places in the backs with most of last years team back again and plenty of guys pushing up from last years 2nd's and 3rd's.

Batman

Bob McCowan (2)
due to there now being 6 teams in the 1st comp that means one of big guns has to come last.
the prediction for last is either shore or riverview. Shore and view lack the depth to last the long grueling 10 game season. Riverview are bolstered by a large amount of year 11 boys and backed up by some year 10's in the seconds.

ruggun11

Peter Burge (5)
Marist College Ashgrove from Brisbane are in sydney to verse some of the big name teams this week. What chance do they have?

providence

Herbert Moran (7)
DanielAnderson is actually a Maths Teacher and was employed to cover a long service leave. He taught a full load of 5 classes. (this is 42 periods out of 60 over a two week cycle.) This is 36 more than a head coach at another GPS school.

Doesn't this very clearly demonstrate where Joeys are getting it wrong?

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
Having read the posts for this year (by way of catching-up) it appears many new G&G bloggers have diverted the discussion from fact based commentary to self-serving and inaccurate dribble.

I suspect if G&G continues to denigrate the highly accurate and insightful nature of past season's threads then those prior years' bloggers will just tune-out.o_O

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
Pre-Season preparation and Player Safety

With the 'official' season kicking off with 2 trials only I was wondering which schools have shown some initiative and are preparing their squads properly for the 2013 season?

[my premise for this muse is on the basis that 2 'trial' games is not enough preparation for 16-18 year old elite players and that the GPS rugby convenors, along with their Headmasters, are showing scant regards for player safety if they prohibit their 'opens' rugby squads from assembling until after the AAGPS Athletics carnival].

Freddo Frog

Ward Prentice (10)
Pre-Season preparation and Player Safety

....................showing scant regards for player safety if they prohibit their 'opens' rugby squads from assembling until after the AAGPS Athletics carnival].

George I know at least some schools are allowing the Athletes to do both athletic and rugby training. They'd be short-sighted (to say the least) if they didn't. The rugby boys have been training as squads since early this term anyway haven't they?

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
Freddo, some schools haven't formed as a squad yet. Some are only doing Athletics training as they have been prevented doing their separate training. These schools have not come together to start contact drills nor any skills work. I shudder to think how they will cope with the soft tissue injuries that will result. Maybe they are banking on the 3 week break after round 2 to regroup??

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Freddo, some schools haven't formed as a squad yet. Some are only doing Athletics training as they have been prevented doing their separate training. These schools have not come together to start contact drills nor any skills work. I shudder to think how they will cope with the soft tissue injuries that will result. Maybe they are banking on the 3 week break after round 2 to regroup??
Where have you been George? We have all missed you. And yes you are right. I find myself starting to wane. Sad, but the rhetoric that spews from a couple of souls solely intent on shit stirring has, whilstnonce had me going, now sadly leaves me just reading. Did you have a nice holiday though George? Thats the most important thing :)

Status
Not open for further replies.