• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
Sorry I replied to the wrong post then GS. I feel like Newbie when he screws up. Sorry Newbs

yes, the break was good and having watched the GPS basketball, swimming and rowing final rounds I found myself over Easter looking forward to seeing some quality sport this winter.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
I was pleased to see last year's 1st XV players; David Morris, Joey Lussick (New) and Olly Kamp (Scots) swimming for their schools. This shows good school spirit given it is an 'additional/voluntary' sport as such and needing to front up on 5 Friday nights.

Out at Nepean I noticed Pat Curtin from last year's Joeys 1st XV also representing his school in their top crew for a very credible 2nd.

Not sure of other sports but interesting to muse how many of the current crop of players represent their school's top team in sports other than rugby? For instance, how many of this year's premiership winning Scots basketballers (on scholarship) will be in the 1st XV?

hits and trys

Bob McCowan (2)
George i believe from Scots Hamish Murray who was in the first xv last year played first basketball for scots and from Newington George Prassas, and Josh Mitchell were the Ballers from the new side also aspiring for a first xv spots

hits and trys

Bob McCowan (2)
on this topic who are the best all-round sportsman from each school ? most would have to be doing 3 sports to be up for nomination? would anyone have info on any of the schools ?

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Not sure, but as you use the word "verse" as a verb, I'm guessing you didn't go to Grammar. King's maybe?

No - more likely from Scots, Newington, Joeys or Riverview given that they all rank below King's in the academic tables

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
George i believe from Scots Hamish Murray who was in the first xv last year played first basketball for scots and from Newington George Prassas, and Josh Mitchell were the Ballers from the new side also aspiring for a first xv spots
thanks H&T, I have kept my comments to last years 1sts players with the intention of measuring how much they are 'all rounders' as well 'giving back' to the school. my records don't have any of these players in their official 1stXV team list from last year.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
on this topic who are the best all-round sportsman from each school ? most would have to be doing 3 sports to be up for nomination? would anyone have info on any of the schools ?
I will nominate David Morris from New for 2nd place after Ned (post #948). He has played 1sts for cricket, rugby and swimming for past 2 years.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
General observation: the sad thing about the increasing professionalism of amateur sport is that it has reduced most sportsmen to single-season performers. I can recall playing Grade cricket in the 1980s in a team that included four current or recent First Grade Rugby five-eighths (as we then called them). Almost all of us played a winter sport as well - Rugby or soccer, mostly, though the odd League player slipped in. Today it's almost impossible to do that - the seasons (and preparation for them) overlap to such an extent that even playing two amateur club sports at Grade level is very hard. Now it seems to be permeating school sport - "elite" junior sportsmen are focussing on their chosen sport throughout the year. No doubt in many or even most cases this will make them better at what they do. But there was a lot of fun involved in being able to play two sports at a decent standard. It's a pity that we're losing that.

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
Andrew Kellaway from Scots - 1st XV, 1st XI and Athletics in addition to Pipes and Drums. Olly Kamp is also in 1st Water Polo

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
General observation: the sad thing about the increasing professionalism of amateur sport is that it has reduced most sportsmen to single-season performers. I can recall playing Grade cricket in the 1980s in a team that included four current or recent First Grade Rugby five-eighths (as we then called them). Almost all of us played a winter sport as well - Rugby or soccer, mostly, though the odd League player slipped in. Today it's almost impossible to do that - the seasons (and preparation for them) overlap to such an extent that even playing two amateur club sports at Grade level is very hard. Now it seems to be permeating school sport - "elite" junior sportsmen are focussing on their chosen sport throughout the year. No doubt in many or even most cases this will make them better at what they do. But there was a lot of fun involved in being able to play two sports at a decent standard. It's a pity that we're losing that.

Very much agree - with my own sons I try to let them decide how much time they will spend on the sports they choose and when in the cross over they will go from one season to the next.
The reality is, I think, that until you get to an age they haven't yet reached most sports are looking for kids with good hand eye co-ordination and, generally, its the same kids in all sports even running and swimming.
A beauty of rugby is, though, that there is always room for every body shape!

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
I was assuming this involved the reciting of poetry at an opponent.
Finally a sport grammar might stand a chance in.

At risk of earning Georges ire and being consigned to the dribble category I would like to comment on the "versing" issue!

I have actually seen a particularly impressive exhibition of this! After a semi-final ( loss ) in the early 1980's the UWA players had a post season dinner/drinks at a Mexican restaurant in Subiaco. Players from the various tables rose throughout the evening to lead the group in songs and recite poetry and given the competetive nature of the group it soon became a case of each table trying to go one better! The standard of poems/recitations was very high and far from deterring or annoying the other patrons, the room soon became packed with other diners and even people walking past giving enthusiastic applause! The finale was a stirring rendition of "The Man from Ironbark" which brought the house down and a winner declared! Those of us on the losing tables considered that we had been "versed" comprehensively! The incident became known as "The Mexican Song Off"!

Footnote : Mexican food was a bit of a novelty back then - no-one really knew what they were ordering (except Margherita's)! The cheapest thing on the menu was a thing called a "Tostada" at $2.50. I distinctly remember one of the 2nd rowers complaining that he only had $2.00 left after buying drinks, and in order to save the 50c he asked for the Tostada to be served "plain and not tossed"! True story!

Thanks for indulging me! Cheers, Wreckless:)

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
Andrew Kellaway from Scots - 1st XV, 1st XI and Athletics in addition to Pipes and Drums. Olly Kamp is also in 1st Water Polo
sorry Pipes&Drums go in the same category as debating, concert & stage bands, cadets etc. These activities are not listed on the AAGPS website as 'sports'.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
No - more likely from Scots, Newington, Joeys or Riverview given that they all rank below King's in the academic tables
Although New moves up when IB is factored in. Many of their stronger student sit for this rather than the HSC. (Not sure why)

Of Newington’s candidature of 17, 14 boys achieved a UAC rank of over 90 with more than 50% of boys achieving a rank over 95.
Source NC webiste

Status
Not open for further replies.