• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
hey i know 'who that guy' is. Is an insider from riverview's senior school. Please post more insider information, it would be good to get some insight from a current view boy on their 1sts team. Cheers!
Be careful what you wish for GPSR, a couple of years back this thread was that full of shit flying from all the schools it was embarrassing. (Particularly those with heavy boarding loads) it became a nightmare to read.

Steele

Frank Row (1)
Oh '93, High's last great chance at winning the comp. Finishing a gallant second, losing only one game to Scots. Who can forget the Joeys first XV being brought into a post-game huddle at Mackay, to be told how to break the news to their fathers, uncles and brothers that High had just smashed them. Those were not tears of joy. So sad we will not see that day again.
Sorry for the history lesson, but some great memories.

Paddogreen is on the money. Any tips? Remember that 93 High side, and the matches at Bellevue Hill & against Joeys at McKay. High down 15 blot half time, only to win 22-15.
History recalls Highs 1st's in early 90's runners up 2 or 3 times. Used to hand out some neat flogging s, bigger margins than the glorious hat trick High premierships in 71/2/3 !
Ah, back in the day...

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Thanks for that. A few names here that I'm not familiar with, how many of these were in 16s last year?

1. James King (16As)
2. Jono Burke (1sts)
3. Lucas Bateman (1sts/2nds)
4. Ben Stacy (2nds)
5. George Lehman (16As)
6. Sam Connor (2nds)
7. Jack McCalman (1sts)
8. David Ballantyne (16As)
9. Rory Davis (2nds)
10. Corey Tulloch (1sts)
11. Cameron Mullen (16As)
12. Will Davies (1sts)
13. Charlie Friend (2nds)
14. Tom Bucknell (2nds)
15. James Kane (16As + 1sts)

Jasdec

Ted Fahey (11)
I saw Jack Bowditch from Riverview at the GPS athletics on Saturday and he looks a monstrous size. Any Riverview contributors know what he is weighing atm?[/quote]

Spoke with a Riverview parent who advised 122kg give or take a steak or two.

Rugby Mum

Watty Friend (18)
Thanks FK! I'm tipping it will be at Warners Bay under the slag heap from the nearby ( closed ) smelter! Lead and zinc fumes and water table - perfect for growing young men! Seriously - it's a good venue and Country have had many seasons there! I hope it's a great day's rugby and I'm glad that Shore are " taking it to the people"! I'd like to see more of this sort of cross pollenation! Cheers, Wreckless :)
Noon: Under 17s Country v Shore, Brad O'Hara
1.15 Under 18s Country v Shore, Shannon Goard
Country JRU trials at Woongarrah Oval Hakone Road Woongarah.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
Noon: Under 17s Country v Shore, Brad O'Hara
1.15 Under 18s Country v Shore, Shannon Goard
Country JRU trials at Woongarrah Oval Hakone Road Woongarah.

Good one RM! Can you or Hugie give us results/match reports? This is mouth watering - kudos to NSWCJRU and Shore for organising these games! :)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It may be of some interest to readers of this thread to know that according to Grammar, in this week's newsletter, their age group A's will be playing other GPS schools' C's and other schools' A/B's.
This suggests that it will be at least a generation (6 years) before there is any change in Opens.

footychixbeers

Stan Wickham (3)
Riverview 1st team this year has shown themselves as a force to be reckoned with. As of yesterday, the current forward pack is weighing over 838kg, with 6 of the 8 weighing over 100kg and 6/7 not far off.

The back line, whilst not the biggest in the GPS - under the likes of Tepai, Milne and Mitchell at Newington - certainly has the makings of a premiership side. 10, 12 and 13 (McGregor, Hutchinson and Molloy) are 3 of 35 members of the National Gold Squad - the best rugby players in the state - and go together like bread and butter. On that note, of the 35 people in NGS, 5 are in the Riverview 1sts, surely that in itself is enough to undermine any teams confidence.

Whilst having one of the tougher draws, Round 1 definitely won't be a walk in the park for Newington, and coming in as the underdogs (for the entire season at that), Riverview will definitely show some mongrel

EDIT: Mistaken - 5 People in NGS from Riverview

strokeside

Larry Dwyer (12)
It may be of some interest to readers of this thread to know that according to Grammar, in this week's newsletter, their age group A's will be playing other GPS schools' C's and other schools' A/B's.
This suggests that it will be at least a generation (6 years) before there is any change in Opens.
Lachie Fear is trying his best and I'm sure that, before him, John Warr did the same. As you know, close to 70% of SGS's yr7 enrolment comes from the 2 Prep schools, it is the Prep school enrolments that have to change. Even if they do start attracting more physically able pupils, then that will only bring Grammar back, after a school generation, to the level of competition that ALL GPS schools, should, and were intended to be. My first rather abrupt introduction to a very "successful'' enrolment criteria, was several years ago. The 2 Grammar prep schools used to select a combined team,(yr6) to play the combined Newington prep schools. Grammar won! Naturally enough the following year was much anticipated, but the Newington 13a's were unrecognisable. I don't point the finger and don't have much of a problem with parents selecting a high school in year7. My advise to Grammar is to boarded the enrolments through the Prep schools (several years to have any impact) but immediately throw the net much wider for the 30% from outside the prep schools. The weekend advertising for enrolments did include the wording "interested in sport" congrats, a very small step in the right direction.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

donj

Allen Oxlade (6)
Riverview 1st team this year has shown themselves as a force to be reckoned with. As of yesterday, the current forward pack is weighing over 838kg, with 6 of the 8 weighing over 100kg and 6/7 not far off.

The back line, whilst not the biggest in the GPS - under the likes of Tepai, Milne and Mitchell at Newington - certainly has the makings of a premiership side. 10, 12 and 13 (McGregor, Hutchinson and Molloy) are 3 of 35 members of the National Gold Squad - the best rugby players in the state - and go together like bread and butter. On that note, of the 35 people in NGS, 7 are in the Riverview 1sts, surely that in itself is enough to undermine any teams confidence.

Whilst having one of the tougher draws, Round 1 definitely won't be a walk in the park for Newington, and coming in as the underdogs (for the entire season at that), Riverview will definitely show some mongrel

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
./...snip.../.
On that note, of the 35 people in NGS, 7 are in the Riverview 1sts, surely that in itself is enough to undermine any teams confidence.

./...snip.../.

The composition of the Sydney NGS and JGS players has not been publicly released this year that I am aware of.

That is a good effort by the boys from View. Does anyone have a school by school breakdown of the boys in the NGS and JGS?

Said it before, this year View will spring some surprises, but with many of their top echelon players in Year 11 and 10 this year, 2014 seems to be the year that View will peak.

donj

Allen Oxlade (6)
Good luck to them but I wouldn't get too carried away. The three back line boys you mention were members of the view u15a side last year who couldn't score a point against joeys and got hammered. They may be members of NGS but a lot of that joeys u15a now 16a didn't bother playing club rugby or NGS several of their backs pursue other sports one of them is a contracted manly rugby league player and state rugby league rep the joeys 16s have never lost since 13s and certainly were never bothered by the likes of Hutchinson and mcgregor. Point is if view have to rely in playing those boys up they will struggle as I say best of luck to them but I don't think they will undermine anyone's confidence.

gpsoldboy

Chris McKivat (8)
The composition of the Sydney NGS and JGS players has not been publicly released this year that I am aware of.

That is a good effort by the boys from View. Does anyone have a school by school breakdown of the boys in the NGS and JGS?

Said it before, this year View will spring some surprises, but with many of their top echelon players in Year 11 and 10 this year, 2014 seems to be the year that View will peak.

Scots = 0. [maybe other posters can nominate the number of NGS/JGS boys at their schools?]

gpsoldboy

Chris McKivat (8)
Good luck to them but I wouldn't get too carried away. The three back line boys you mention were members of the view u15a side last year who couldn't score a point against joeys and got hammered. They may be members of NGS but a lot of that joeys u15a now 16a didn't bother playing club rugby or NGS several of their backs pursue other sports one of them is a contracted manly rugby league player and state rugby league rep the joeys 16s have never lost since 13s and certainly were never bothered by the likes of Hutchinson and mcgregor. Point is if view have to rely in playing those boys up they will struggle as I say best of luck to them but I don't think they will undermine anyone's confidence.
I heard that Joeys didn't let their players participate in NGS because it was held on weekday afternoons although some were apparently involved in JGS because it was held on Sunday mornings?

donj

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yes. Joeys don't like their boys being involved outside joeys. Their time will come as I said they were never troubled by the view boys who are in NGS.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Lachie Fear is trying his best and I'm sure that, before him, John Warr did the same. As you know, close to 70% of SGS's yr7 enrolment comes from the 2 Prep schools, it is the Prep school enrolments that have to change. Even if they do start attracting more physically able pupils, then that will only bring Grammar back, after a school generation, to the level of competition that ALL GPS schools, should, and were intended to be. My first rather abrupt introduction to a very "successful'' enrolment criteria, was several years ago. The 2 Grammar prep schools used to select a combined team,(yr6) to play the combined Newington prep schools. Grammar won! Naturally enough the following year was much anticipated, but the Newington 13a's were unrecognisable. I don't point the finger and don't have much of a problem with parents selecting a high school in year7. My advise to Grammar is to boarded the enrolments through the Prep schools (several years to have any impact) but immediately throw the net much wider for the 30% from outside the prep schools. The weekend advertising for enrolments did include the wording "interested in sport" congrats, a very small step in the right direction.
What advertising?
Fear is doing a great job - the best job anyone could do in the circumstances.
I'm afraid that more recently there was no overall approach to rugby in the high school and Fear's dedication and interest in all ages and abilities is showing up what has been going on.
Not sure how much you know about the demographic of either of the prep schools: in some recent years there has not been a first XV at St Ives. If that's one third of your intake and there's a third from outside who have never played the game (which is pretty much the position) you're in a hole: SIC had 180 boys trialling in year 7 in 2011 - that's the whole year at Grammar - take out 120 who dont play and you can immediately see the issue.

Whose That Guy

Herbert Moran (7)

Huchinson and Mcgregor played in the 15's and hutchison was playing under a knee injury and mcgregor getting poor ball he was unable to do anything, rugby is a 15 man game not a one man game, and molloy played 1sts and 2nds last year and his foot work with the ball is better then anyones foot work ive seen

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
pretty fair assessment of last years 15's view v joeys.. I saw that game as well..the view forwards were totally dominated on that day meaning the backs had liitle chance to ignite..there's no question that view 1st 15 have had good wins over a number of strong B division teams..although I would think Augustines would test most GPS sides so that was a good result..they should as a minimum be very competitive against all the GPS sides, and I think have the ability to trouble the best teams out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.