• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
Can someone tell me the game times at New this week - in particular 3rds? and place

IS - confirmed games & times at Stanmore concerning Grammar FYI! :

8.00am Newington 16C vs. Sydney Grammar 16A ( Johnson Oval )
11.00am Newington 15D vs. Sydney Grammar 15B ( Marrickville Oval )
11.15am Newington 14D vs. Sydney Grammar 14B ( Old Boys #1 )
11.30am Newington 13D vs. Sydney Grammar 13D ( Old Boys #2 )
12 noon Newington 5th XV vs. Sydney Grammar 2nd XV ( Johnson Oval )
12 noon Newington 15C vs. Sydney Grammar 15A ( Marrickville Oval )
12.15pm Newington 14C vs. Sydney Grammar 14A ( Old Boys #1 )
12.30pm Newington 13C vs. Sydney Grammar 13C ( Old Boys #2 )
1.00pm Newington 3rd XV vs. Sydney Grammar 1st XV ( Johnson Oval )

FYI - New are "versing" Grammar in most of the Football fixtures as well including a full sheet on Buchanan Ovals 1 & 2! :)

Have a great day! Cheers, Wreckless :)

NewMacca

Chris McKivat (8)
2 things gents.

What ended up happening with A. Kellaway and the suspected leg injury that occurred on the weekend?

Saw Kellaway walking around at Boronia Park, Hunters Hill tonight. Appeared stiff but not limping and certainly did not have any cast/brace on his leg. Would not be surprised to see him take the field this week, let alone next week.

Macca Out

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
IS - confirmed games & times at Stanmore concerning Grammar FYI! :

8.00am Newington 16C vs. Sydney Grammar 16A ( Johnson Oval )
11.00am Newington 15D vs. Sydney Grammar 15B ( Marrickville Oval )
11.15am Newington 14D vs. Sydney Grammar 14B ( Old Boys #1 )
11.30am Newington 13D vs. Sydney Grammar 13D ( Old Boys #2 )
12 noon Newington 5th XV vs. Sydney Grammar 2nd XV ( Johnson Oval )
12 noon Newington 15C vs. Sydney Grammar 15A ( Marrickville Oval )
12.15pm Newington 14C vs. Sydney Grammar 14A ( Old Boys #1 )
12.30pm Newington 13C vs. Sydney Grammar 13C ( Old Boys #2 )
1.00pm Newington 3rd XV vs. Sydney Grammar 1st XV ( Johnson Oval )

FYI - New are "versing" Grammar in most of the Football fixtures as well including a full sheet on Buchanan Ovals 1 & 2! :)

Have a great day! Cheers, Wreckless :)

That 12:30 game is New 13C's v Grammar 13A's and the 11:30 one is v Grammar's 13B's I think.

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
2 things gents.

Snip...

Who is still injured in the view 1st XV? Is last years no.8 Ben Hunt back in the 'hunt' for a 1st XV spot after his hand injury?

According to @thefencesitter's match report at post #2769 (which found its way into the rd 5 match report blog, thanks Lee Grant) "View captain, Hunt (8), made a strong return, churning through the defence with strong ball-running."

I expect Hunt to again feature prominently at Stanmore on Saturday.

News of the World

Frank Row (1)
Gents, its a pleasure to join this forum, the debate and information is cracking and interesting given the connection many on this site have to the competition.

Playing tennis last night and one of my team mates has a son at TKS. He gave me the inside knowledge that TKS's 2nd XV have lost both props to injury. One with a suspected shoulder and the other with a wrist injury. He said his son wasn't sure as these boys are currently sitting there HSC Trial Examinations.

It would be a pity for these boys to miss out on the last few games of their schoolboy rugby career if this proves true. Can anyone else shed some more light on this?

northman91

Frank Nicholson (4)
if they amalgamated CAS and GPS, and had a Div 1 and 2

you would get a much more interesting season

This year ..some GPS teams will have played one another 3 times, by the end of the year . pretty sure that Joeys and Kings will have done so.

anyway I blame the "shore" mentality . although really it is the whole old school tie thing .. I went to a GPS school, so I know it well, however it is so stupid

yes I love the tradition . you can go to Shore, and the Sergeant Major's office is still there, and the team lists still go up in the same spot, and wow now you have a Farr-Jones on the list

but it is all BS . yes hang onto some of the traditions, but got to move with the times

the focus of Sydney High is elsewhere, and that is fine . no doubt they will have the last laugh . however time for a SHAKE-UP

I don't think that the CAS has the depth or quality of teams to match it with the GPS. You mentioned "joeys vs knox" is a previous post, Knox are on the verge of losing more games than they have one this year. They struggle for a win against Cranbrook. Joeys would put 50 on them. The only team capable of competing in the GPS this year would be Barker and possibly Waverley. Another issue would be that a lot of these CAS schools only go down to the D's or E's in Rugby where as Joeys Iggies Shore Kings Scots (not so much Newington) all comforably go down to the G's in each age group.

I personally think that tradition is the best part of all GPS sport, especially in rugby. Joeys vs Riverview matches easily bring 10000 plus every year (when its at 3.15). The 10 round home and away comp has worked wonders this year. Every game is competitive, and every team pretty much has a chance of beating anyone on their day. I know Shore hasn't won a game yet but they still had a lead on newington with only 15 or so to go and nearly knocked off joeys earlier on.

Grammar have shown signs that they are attempting to develop their rugby program whilst im not so sure what High is doing.... but having a 3rd XV competition has now provided Grammar, High and TAS with a competition that they are now competitive in.
There's no need to combined the GPS and CAS when the current structure is working well!

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Working so well?
Your argument for that is that one of the foundation Schools 1sts are now competitive with other Schools 3rds?
But Sydney Boys continues to slide?
Another School plays their "real" 1's against other Schools 2's with less than stellar results (with mercenaries playing in the top side)
It's not even keeping the riff raff out any more.
Upholding tradition is one thing.
Ignoring the obvious is another.

GPStyle

Herbert Moran (7)
2 things gents.

What ended up happening with A. Kellaway and the suspected leg injury that occurred on the weekend?

Who is still injured in the view 1st XV? Is last years no.8 Ben Hunt back in the 'hunt' for a 1st XV spot after his hand injury?

Yeah Ben Hunt is back and raring to go hitting some solid form against Kings last weekend. He should be a bit of a menace against newington this week.

I was wondering if you got those 1st and 2nd backlines yet? Curious about who is replacing Lachy Anderson at 5/8 as he has carried the newington 2nds this year along with their no. 8 Tim Lee.

overs and unders

Stan Wickham (3)
I was a bit disgruntled today to find out that the dominating winger for New Josh Mitchell aka 'the bear' (as his on field name goes) has been dropped to the 2nd XV ....

GPSrow, could not agree more, but as we know via another forum he is an easy target of non-investment... he will kick arse and Ill be watching that game more so than the celebrity 1stXV "rugby league with the stars" fodder that we currently endure, he is playing outside centre so instead of being starved of the ball should see plenty and no doubt some of those big hits we all love to see. Good luck to him I say!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Are we finally reaching the realisation that rugby has passed the point at which the schools can be expected to produce the ARU's canon fodder?
The GPS looks like a race in 2 half way through the season and next year may be a race in one - though I sense some hope in the hearts of loyal supporters.
Rugby through its grass roots in this country has failed to adapt to professionalism.
When the code was amateur the demands were less - anyone who continued to play the game after school might eventually become a Wallaby (Kearns & Farr-Jones) irrespective of how they had fared at school. Now if you're not in the NSW schools side you won't make the Tahs and that's it - you might have to work for a living or get a trade or a tertiary qualification.
God forbid - when did life get so tough?

Rob hart

Billy Sheehan (19)
Okay gents here are my wobbly predictions;

New and View - this will go down to the wire I think View will be fired up and be a real handful for the New side - New lost to Scots and Shore held them very well, they are beatable by a team with real passion scots proved that - new by 2 in a blockbuster

Joeys and Shore - Joeys showed last week they can mix it with the best teams Shore will be desperate for a win and will push hard ...... joeys will be too good joeys by 12

Scots and kings : repeat of round 1 ....... might need a few hands in the scoreboard one watching one changing the numbers ......scots by plenty.........

Best of luck to grammar and High....... not sure who they are playing

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Okay gents here are my wobbly predictions;

New and View - this will go down to the wire I think View will be fired up and be a real handful for the New side - New lost to Scots and Shore held them very well, they are beatable by a team with real passion scots proved that - new by 2 in a blockbuster

Joeys and Shore - Joeys showed last week they can mix it with the best teams Shore will be desperate for a win and will push hard .. joeys will be too good joeys by 12

Scots and kings : repeat of round 1 ... might need a few hands in the scoreboard one watching one changing the numbers ..scots by plenty...

Best of luck to grammar and High... not sure who they are playing

grammar play newington

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
Working so well?
Your argument for that is that one of the foundation Schools 1sts are now competitive with other Schools 3rds?
But Sydney Boys continues to slide?
Another School plays their "real" 1's against other Schools 2's with less than stellar results (with mercenaries playing in the top side)
It's not even keeping the riff raff out any more.
Upholding tradition is one thing.
Ignoring the obvious is another.

As a TAS supporter I am obviously biased. I can only repeat what I said before, that creating the thirds comp allowing TAS, SBHS and SGS to play competitive rugby at their level has drawn a third of the GPS back to Rugby and created what is, I think, the most interesting competition of all. I think that's important for the very survival of GPS Rugby,

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
Yeah Ben Hunt is back and raring to go hitting some solid form against Kings last weekend. He should be a bit of a menace against newington this week.

I was wondering if you got those 1st and 2nd backlines yet? Curious about who is replacing Lachy Anderson at 5/8 as he has carried the newington 2nds this year along with their no. 8 Tim Lee.

Tim is having a great season - he's a try scoring machine! :)

overs and unders

Stan Wickham (3)
...ealisation that rugby has passed the point at which the schools can be expected to produce the ARU's canon fodder?

Unless powers that be acknowledge Union players v Mungos they will always chase the tail. Age brackets should be adhered too, Year 10 unless an absolute legend like Bel or a Kellaway they wait there turn, if you have signed a league contract then see you later in all ARU rep contests other than school, let those that want to play play and capture them after year 12. In its current format 5 this year in Aus Schools are gone to Mungos, the 5 spots they took chance of players probably giving up for education .... wouldn't you... its all a joke.
If you sign why do they keep bothering with them, half of them can not pass a ball from left or to right - just wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.