• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

FootyForever

Stan Wickham (3)
Newington could've won that match and Riverview should've been happy to play on.

From what I know, Riverview were keen to play on but the Newington MIC called the game off..

Either way I am sure the Riverview boys were keen to play on and credit shouldn't be taken away from them, due to a Newington player who threw several punches at a helpless player on the ground before it escalated into a team-on-team push and shove.

But what we should all agree on, is that it was a good game of rugby, that shouldn't have ended in that matter.

thefencesitter

Allen Oxlade (6)
I dont think he "totally lost control": there was a very undisciplined effort - with one very effective punch to the face from a New player - to which some exception was taken by View. That kid was marched. There was some "argy bargy" after that but I saw nothing other than a bit of pushing and shoving.
3 or 4 View coaches then marched onto the pitch - I dont care if they are teachers they should not do this: it looked poor and it added to a sense that the game was out control.
These same View coaches had been egging things on from inside the rope - hurling "advice" at the ref about what should be done about things. Including taunting the New 10 when he threw a pass that missed its mark with calls of "he's lost it now".
Very poor form and if this is the behaviour in the top flight of GPS rugby then frankly you can keep it.
One of them seemed to ask the ref to call it off after the scuffle was what I saw.

Coaches of both teams went onto the field, but it was the New MIC who called game off - perhaps he thought the worst was yet to come

NewMacca

Chris McKivat (8)
Newington could've won that match and Riverview should've been happy to play on.

Not sure if you noticed Newington's Tim Rapp go straight across to the View coaches before having a word with the ref then another word with View. May have been a better decision as a couple of New boys looked ready to give it more. The multiple video cameras could see some extra discipline being taken later in the week.

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
This may sound stupid but I need clarification. Because the New vs. View 2nd XV game was at Newington and it had been called off early by Riverview. Doesn't that mean it is a draw?

NewMacca

Chris McKivat (8)
I know you New boys will be up in arms about this but i got to say that number 1 field is not the best.
The surface seems a bit sus. It's got a bad slope to the south east and east.
Its a perfect ampitheatre that just needs a little tarting up.
How about a little grandstand on the grass slope for old codgers like me?

Completely agree, my younger brother constantly complains about the surface though mentioned there was a great improvement this year cricket pitch wise. Also the other Newington pitches are quite bad as well. In my opinion the worst surface would be the Shore pitch, my brother came off covered in scratches and believes the pitch he played on in Tonga was better

GPStyle

Herbert Moran (7)
Yes it was defintely mutual and view come away with the points setting up a cracker game with joeys next week!

NewMacca

Chris McKivat (8)
Why yes I did.

Seemed like a very close affair in the 1st half with both sides making errors and for Grammar they seemed to capitalise on it very well. After oranges it saw a complete turnaround for Grammar with Newington having no possession and Grammar getting more points on the board. Would have been a good game if Newington had just evened up the score a little bit!

Heard there was some poor sportsmanship from the New boys once they started gong down, could you confirm?

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
Heard there was some poor sportsmanship from the New boys once they started gong down, could you confirm?

I could see mouths moving and tempers flaring but 'poor sportsmanship' or a bit of GPS banter isn't going to hurt Grammar beating New 31-0. If i was Grammar I would just say "look at the scoreboard". Always works.

NewMacca

Chris McKivat (8)
I could see mouths moving and tempers flaring but 'poor sportsmanship' or a bit of GPS banter isn't going to hurt Grammar beating New 31-0. If i was Grammar I would just say "look at the scoreboard". Always works.

haha nail on the head there

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Didnt see that.
I was pretty heartened by the Grammar effort - a completely untried 12 and 13 combination.
Its interesting to look at how much better their structure is this year thanks, i think, to more time with Fear and his trusty assistant.
SGs 15A's put 60+ on New C's

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
COACHES

1. All coaches (and particularly those who are not on the teaching staff) should ensure that they are fully aware of the expectations and practices of the school in which they are coaching. Coaches should remember that school sport plays an important role in a boy's education and is for the benefit of boys rather than adults.
  2. Coaches should teach sound sportsmanship along with games skills; chivalrous conduct is an important element of school sport.
  3. Coaches are asked to bear in mind that even senior school students need guidance; make clear the school's expectations regarding courtesies, punctuality, behaviour and dress.
  4. Leadership and responsibility on the part of the captain should be encouraged. Coaches should refrain from running every detail or interjecting from the sidelines. (It is acknowledged that traditions and practices differ between, say, basketball on the one hand and, on the other, cricket and rugby.)
  5. Coaches should not engage in excessive and ritual "psyching up" of a team.
  6. If a match is lost, coaches should avoid giving the impression always that it could have been won if the team had played with more determination. (The opposition is sometimes just too skilful!) Similarly, coaches should avoid stating or giving the impression to players that bad refereeing decisions cost them the game.
  7. Coaches should avoid any hint of criticising the umpiring or refereeing of a match - particularly in front of boys or parents.
  8. A coach's aim should be always to coach in such a way that boys are able to learn for themselves.
  9. Coaches are encouraged to establish and regularly to renew cordial relations with the coaches of opposing team.
Source AAGPS code of practice.

Coaches of young men have a greater responsibility than just skill and playing development. It used to be the practice in GPS matches that coaches remained silent other than some mild encouragement to their team and perhaps a 'well played' when a player from either team excelled.

footytime

Stan Wickham (3)
in relation to the riverview 2nds coach entering the field, I believe he acted in the correct manor to defend one of his players.

It is important to remember that these are minors, and the coach has a duty of care for his players. He saw that it had gone past being a argy bargy and knew he needed to act.

Also as one of the riverview players was sent off for being the third man entering, I a faint suspicion that if a newington player responsible was not red carded aswell he would have taken his team off the field simply because the 'game' aspect had gone out the window.

I insist that the riverview coach handeld the situation perfectly and should be applauded for his care for his players well being.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The rules are against you.
And if 4 view coaches are entitled to go onto the field of play to assert their players rights (ignoring that they had fuelled it with cat calling) why not 4 new coaches to make sure their players rights are protected too.
Any advance on 8 people entering the field of play in contravention of all laws and rules?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.