• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2014

Who will win...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Joeys remains the gold standard regardless of the first XV performance cycles and the Arms Race that is being pursued by some other schools.

ARU are in deep doodoo if the Catholic schooling system in general, and Marist Brothers and Jesuits in particular, decide to drop rugby to focus on another winter sport.

Perhaps one of the more mathematically inclined Gaggerlanders could produce a KPI metric similar to the Shute Shield Club Championship calculations to monitor overall School Rugby programme performance, rather than just the performance of the rock-stars in 1st XV, which we have seen can so easily be manipulated with late entries and selective enrolments,
ie 1st XV results accounting for 25% of the overall mark for the School, 2nd XV is 10%, 3rd XV and 4th XV is 5%, 16's is worth 20% (A's 10%, B's 5% and C's 5%), 15's is worth 15%(A's 10%, B's 2.5%, C's 2.5%), and 14's and 13's are worth 10% each (A's 5%, B's 2.5%, C's 2.5%).

It doesn't need school systems to drop rugby - the participants are already voting with their feet.

This year Kings only go down to 13E rugby and 13 H soccer.

In all schools, 13s is usually the high water mark for participation. Kings will be lucky to field a 16Cs in 3 years time if the usual drop off occurs.

I posted this break down of 2014 participation rugby v soccer a few pages back. Not pretty reading for any rugby supporter and the trend everywhere (except at TSC) is going against us .

teams (rugby/soccer)

J 41/16
E 38/21
S 30/22
K 31/38
N 26/31
G 12/30
H 12/30
I ?

rickety knees

Peter Burge (5)
I have no problem acknowleding the excellent SJC Rugby program across the board. As someone mentioned before and i'd agree it is the 'gold standard' and is nationally and internationally recognised as so. Joeys is famous for Rugby, other schools are famous for Academia, Rowing, Glengarry, Debating etc...

Clubs and Schools go in cycles at the top of the tree. My club is often seen as the 'Joeys of the NHRU' - gold standard if you like. Its not good or bad, right or wrong its just the way it is and i applaud organisations that have this.

Im interested to find out why TSC is the only GPS whos rugby numbers aren't on the slide...or are they ?

**putting my gun away rugbymum**

old fella

Stan Wickham (3)
So it looks like 3 teams will contest the comp. with sides running up 'cricket' scores against the other remaining 3. What a sad situation. But I can only smile as others stood by and watched what happened to High Rugby while they built their 'temples'. Welcome to Third Grade - Shore and Kings, just a matter of time.

I have a slightly different take on this. Watching the View firsts (i am not a View parent) against Kings on Saturday, it was delighful to see an 'organic" group realising the potential that they have had since primary school. I was pleased to hear credible reports that View are ensuring that the rugby program this year does not drown out academics/summer sports etc. This might be the template to ensure the survival of GPS rugby in the longer term.

The "arms race" approach of others must surely be close to discredited. Although it was disheartening to hear a rugby mad Scots parent indignantly tell me recently that "everyone does it" and "you are all hypocrites" when it comes to arms race activities.

V

Vindíctam

The "arms race" approach of others must surely be close to discredited. Although it was disheartening to hear a rugby mad Scots parent indignantly tell me recently that "everyone does it" and "you are all hypocrites" when it comes to arms race activities.

Yup, that's the typical Scotts parent response I have been getting this past few months myself. World domination does not come cheap.

V

Vindíctam

There hasn't been any action on it for 5 days. Can we take the above two pages and repost, it is bad enough with the kiddies crap let alone the adults now having a go. :)

Agree. Apologies if this thread strayed out of bounds. Glad to see the touch judge putting up his flag.

Bigg Dogg 84

Frank Row (1)
You perhaps won't be so smug next year when half the scholarship holders of that fine financial institution called Scots depart. Now that you have been caught with your hands in the till, the level playing field should return…….

Joeys will come 3rd this year in the 1sts. And I will be praying especially hard for my Catholic friends at Riverview to smash Scots.

And BTW, Joeys won the 2nds comp last year, did well in the 3rds and 16As, etc etc etc etc. What were Scots stats or is all the focus on 1sts and not building school culture?

I hope the boys just enjoy their schoolboy rugby with out parents becoming too upset if their little boys lose. After all they are 'school boys'.

Scots also did very well in their 2013 3rd XV and 16s. (And their 1st XV)

Oranges

Frank Nicholson (4)
Joeys originally looked like having at least 16 opens teams but were advised by the convenor that the lower teams would end up playing each other on a regular basis as it would be hard to find them external competition. With this they were encouraged to consider alternative sports.

Rugby from the backrow

Sydney Middleton (9)
Were they near strength when beaten by SGS at weekend? Bit of a surprise?

I still struggle with the way Riverview grade (or don't ) some of their players. This often shows up after they leave school and go on to bigger and better things. This is where Joeys has their act together and while their 1st may be struggling at the moment most of their players end up in the right teams.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Were they near strength when beaten by SGS at weekend? Bit of a surprise?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No idea.
Grammar had a few to come back: the Grammar pack was completely overshadowed by the size of the view pack but they lived up to the old adage bout dogs, size and fights.
I was a little surprised.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Joeys won 25 out of 30 games .. and there is a problem?

By my calculations, that is win rate of over 80%, and ignores that there were a number of games where Joeys were matching up against higher Scots teams (eg Joeys 12ths versus Scots 8ths) .. not sure of the Glengary effect?

Either way, Joeys rugby dominance increases as the kids age . makes sense

so my conclusion Joeys programme is "alive and well"

and while yes I agree, Joeys need to do the "post-mortem" . Scots might also need to similarly ask why they didn't do better, outside of the 1st XV

maybe $cots needs to hatch a Glengary indoctrination programme :confused:

Is this Charlie Smith any relation of Ray Smith? . If so that would make Charlie a pure Scotsman . as Ray I believe played with Crichton's old man .back in whatever winning team that was ..87?
Dear Dear Sonny Dill....

It isn't a Rugby Programme. It is simply the WINTER sport that the school makes its first choice.

Programmes have hyperbaric chambers and player investment

GJLRED

Frank Row (1)
I liked the review of the New vs Shore game at #1220 and would add the following thoughts.

The New scum really placed significant pressure on Shore in set plays and at the breakdown. Shore had no clean ball and was heading backwards for most of the game. So it was hard to assess the Shore backs as they had no ball.

As mentioned in #1220 the New outside backs were too strong and found /made plenty of gaps.

It was an enjoyable match to watch. I look forward to seeing Scots and View play.

Gregor

Ward Prentice (10)
Joeys won 25 out of 30 games .. and there is a problem?

By my calculations, that is win rate of over 80%, and ignores that there were a number of games where Joeys were matching up against higher Scots teams (eg Joeys 12ths versus Scots 8ths) .. not sure of the Glengary effect?

Either way, Joeys rugby dominance increases as the kids age . makes sense

so my conclusion Joeys programme is "alive and well"

and while yes I agree, Joeys need to do the "post-mortem" . Scots might also need to similarly ask why they didn't do better, outside of the 1st XV

I believe Scots won 7 and drew 1. Even if you take into account the Glengarry effect and don't include the U15 sides, the Joeys win rate is still 70%.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
It's hard to argue against the results of joeys rugby program. It has shown depth well beyond any other school in living memory. The obvious question is what is happening at the 1st XV level. I hear that the 2013 yr 12, was the first year to go right through joeys and not see the school 1sts win a comp. if round one is any guide it looks like being on the cards again for the 2014 age group. It can be argued at times that the absolute depth they have makes getting the best combination of 15 together a challenge. Other schools seem to have a much clearer picture earlier, and are working on team dynamics and combinations much earlier. Could be way off mark, but even if you take out the alleged cherry picking of talent else where, joeys results over the last 7 years or so have been well below their historical standards. I'm not a joeys supporter but I do believe that a strong joeys 1sts floats all boats. They gave been the bench mark, and GPS needs them to be competitive at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.