• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2014

Who will win...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinjoe

Ward Prentice (10)
No problems with the electronic screen. Didn't mind being able to watch the replays. It was the annoying commentary going on all day!!! I heard a couple of Cranbrook parent pulled the wires from the speakers behind the stand, but they got onto it and put them back in again.
The commentary overwhelmed any crowd involvement. Totally banal intrusive and stupid. Promotional asides about Scots were really downmarket.
Ruined any atmosphere
I have spoken to a few Scots parents who were embarrassed that on a charity day Scots had spent $6000 on a big screen and inane commentary.
The image problem that Scots have within the GPS will not be helped by this sort of narcissistic behaviour

S

spirit of cupertino

I believe those cheques were drawn against his CBA Storm Financial asset account. What a pitty SJC didn't present them a week later. At any rate, he may feel that he has won his objective: front page story.

S

spirit of cupertino

No problems with the electronic screen. Didn't mind being able to watch the replays. It was the annoying commentary going on all day!!! I heard a couple of Cranbrook parent pulled the wires from the speakers behind the stand, but they got onto it and put them back in again.

Sore losers. Nothing wrong with running commentary when you're ahead apparently, or even if the game is close. Just ask Frank Hyde.

S

spirit of cupertino

I don't think the Cranbrook team are weak, maybe their first XV don't train 6-7 times a week, as I've heard is expected at Scots!Whatever happened to the normal 3-4 times a week for schoolboy footy. I guess I live in an old fashioned world.
How much money would Scots have spent on that enormous electronic screen that was installed for the day/permanently?

Sorry, but Cranbrook team very weak this year. Scots played four imports down as a goodwill gesture. Won't be so lenient next year, methinks.

James Kelly

Bob McCowan (2)
Playing with a live screen and commentary is probably something that most schoolboy players won't ever get to experience again. I imagine the boys would have got a huge buzz out of it regardless of the result. Not always all about the parents...

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Sore losers. Nothing wrong with running commentary when you're ahead apparently, or even if the game is close. Just ask Frank Hyde.
Thankfully his commentary would only be heard by choice.
It's very hard to do well ( as the threads on this site show) and anyone who's any good is not holding open the last weekend of school hols - so, inevitably, the commentary was not much good anyway.

James Day

Stan Wickham (3)
Surprised havent heard your typical view boys (whosethatguy AKA) defending all this talk about scots title credentials ? School holidays still running are they?

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
I don't think the Cranbrook team are weak, maybe their first XV don't train 6-7 times a week, as I've heard is expected at Scots!Whatever happened to the normal 3-4 times a week for schoolboy footy. I guess I live in an old fashioned world.
How much money would Scots have spent on that enormous electronic screen that was installed for the day/permanently?
That's the first time I've seen Cranbrook this year, and I'm not saying they are a weak team as they are dominating the CAS comp. What I saw was a pretty weak effort to be clear. Their game plan seemed to be to kick for field position, pin Scots down and pot penalty goals to accumulate pressure on the score board. That only works if you are going to man up defensively, and they just didn't do it, and let Scots counter. Training 4-6 , or 6-7 days a week wont help you make tackles if you don't want to make them. I'm still not sure if Scots were that good, or Cranbrook assisted them in looking that good. The other CAS teams would be thinking up the physicality and run at them, it worked well for Scots.

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Surprised havent heard your typical view boys (whosethatguy AKA) defending all this talk about scots title credentials ? School holidays still running are they?

Ahh yes, thanks for the bate buddy.

I honestly don't see what the furore is about - is anyone surprised that Scots smashed Cranbrook? I'm certainly not.

The simple fact is that on a team by team basis GPS is considerably stronger than CAS. I honestly think that Riverview, Newington, and perhaps even Joeys would put a similar score on Cranbrook, and any other CAS team for that matter - assuming of course that their full strength teams were played at GPS level intensity.

I'm frankly startled that Scots didn't win by more - they would have if they put their best team on.

Can people please lay off the consistent criticism of HH? It's fine if you don't think he's as good as people say he is, but he is still a very consistent and strong player. Like honestly you have to be mad to deny that defence is one of his strong points. He has consistently proven himself - be it playing for View against guys like Tepai and Tanne, against New Zealand schools against similarly sized wingers, or against Fiji where he was virtually a target for all the traffi - at no stage has his defence faltered.
The fact is, if you're looking for weaknesses in the View team HH certainly isn't the right place to be looking.

More to the point though, it's very hard to compare the two teams at this stage. The fact that Scots were successful out wide against Cranbrook really says nothing about how they will go against View.

Let's just wait and see.

For now, the two sides should have their sights set on Joeys and Shore - let's discuss those games instead, yea?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Ahh yes, thanks for the bate buddy.

I honestly don't see what the furore is about - is anyone surprised that Scots smashed Cranbrook? I'm certainly not.

The simple fact is that on a team by team basis GPS is considerably stronger than CAS. I honestly think that Riverview, Newington, and perhaps even Joeys would put a similar score on Cranbrook, and any other CAS team for that matter - assuming of course that their full strength teams were played at GPS level intensity.

I'm frankly startled that Scots didn't win by more - they would have if they put their best team on.

Can people please lay off the consistent criticism of HH? It's fine if you don't think he's as good as people say he is, but he is still a very consistent and strong player. Like honestly you have to be mad to deny that defence is one of his strong points. He has consistently proven himself - be it playing for View against guys like Tepai and Tanne, against New Zealand schools against similarly sized wingers, or against Fiji where he was virtually a target for all the traffi - at no stage has his defence faltered.
The fact is, if you're looking for weaknesses in the View team HH certainly isn't the right place to be looking.

More to the point though, it's very hard to compare the two teams at this stage. The fact that Scots were successful out wide against Cranbrook really says nothing about how they will go against View.

Let's just wait and see.

For now, the two sides should have their sights set on Joeys and Shore - let's discuss those games instead, yea?

Totally agree on your take on CAS and GPS schools and like you I'm also surprised that anyone was surprised about Scots flogging Cranbrook. Even pre Lambert Scots won this fixture - usually quite comfortably.

Also agree 100% with your defence of HH. He's the best around at this level, which is why he's played Australian schools for 2 years and would probably play next year if he was still at school. (Which I understand he won't be)

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Totally agree on your take on CAS and GPS schools and like you I'm also surprised that anyone was surprised about Scots flogging Cranbrook. Even pre Lambert Scots won this fixture - usually quite comfortably.

Also agree 100% with your defence of HH. He's the best around at this level, which is why he's played Australian schools for 2 years and would probably play next year if he was still at school. (Which I understand he won't be)

Just hope Geriant John sees the value of picking HH for the Oz sevens team next year in time for the Olympics!

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
My 2 cents worth ... The scots video scoreboard was great ... Awesome for all the kids who participated

I am sure they will all remember that, for many years ... as for the bulk it might be the only occasion they get to play with live coverage and a big crowd to boot

Having said that unless I am mistaken both Knox and joeys have video scoreboards now... So maybe the new norm

Either way I think it is a positive ...dont think scots will ever get a permanent video board, as those eastern suburbs residents are a tough bunch ... Nimby ..not in my backyard

The commentating was a bit weird but again probably just reflecting the day is a bit of fun ... Carnivale atmosphere...

..Full credit to the cranbrook boys who faced up to scots that field way bigger numbers, and have stars across all the age groups

Anyway I thought the whole battle of the hill was a success and full credit to scots on doing a good job hosting it

James Kelly

Bob McCowan (2)
My 2 cents worth . The scots video scoreboard was great . Awesome for all the kids who participated

I am sure they will all remember that, for many years . as for the bulk it might be the only occasion they get to play with live coverage and a big crowd to boot

Having said that unless I am mistaken both Knox and joeys have video scoreboards now. So maybe the new norm

Either way I think it is a positive .dont think scots will ever get a permanent video board, as those eastern suburbs residents are a tough bunch . Nimby ..not in my backyard

The commentating was a bit weird but again probably just reflecting the day is a bit of fun . Carnivale atmosphere.

..Full credit to the cranbrook boys who faced up to scots that field way bigger numbers, and have stars across all the age groups

Anyway I thought the whole battle of the hill was a success and full credit to scots on doing a good job hosting it

Could not agree more.

Its not new either and certainly not designed to belittle Cranbrook - I've seen this same setup with screen and commentary for the last 4 years at their rugby 7s event. The boys loved it and I didn't hear any complaints from parents on the stand i was on.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Could not agree more.

Its not new either and certainly not designed to belittle Cranbrook - I've seen this same setup with screen and commentary for the last 4 years at their rugby 7s event. The boys loved it and I didn't hear any complaints from parents on the stand i was on.

Apparently some cranbrook parents unplugged the speakers on the eastern side only to be thwarted by techies reconnecting them

Gregor

Ward Prentice (10)
3rd Round this weekend. Anyone want to predict the results and margins?
Joeys to upset View by 5
New by 20+
Scots by cricket score.

Status
Not open for further replies.