• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Someone had to say it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bah humbug.jpg

10to12

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Add to that Brown and Jeavons Fellows. The great pity for many of these boys is that they were the victim of the worst coached NSW 1 side in living memory. The Newington and Cranbrook coaches created absolutely no structure or pattern. It is evident from the videos that natural talent got this team through to the final where they encountered a well drilled highly committed NSW2 side. The most disgraceful call out is that Jaffer Williams did not touch the ball in the final after being one of the most dangerous players all tournament. By contrast Rixon was superb. Players play, coaches coach - who created culture? On field leadership? Obvious that senior leadership on the field was lacking. Using Taukamo as a 12 battering ram has failed for New all year. His strength as a finisher is undeniable, coaching error. Denied T a spot for sure. Fenn plenty of carries but little support, Haskins playing behind an unstructured pack and substituted when his aggressive running game could have come into play late in games. Jeavons Felllows was everywhere when he was on yet not given opportunities. Terry a victim of limited game time as Crash 12 ball vs width was the clueless coaching pattern. Whist we should be proud of those who made sides from GPS, the fact that other players who missed selection have had their chances harmed by people who should be at pinnacle of Schools coaching.and one is from GPS. Immediately replace with the GPS coaches in Combined States - the bolters of the tournament who delivered structure and created passion.
Well said. Head coach has been pretty ordinary these last few years. Hasn't got a clue

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Cream will rise to the top. I just don't get the BS that playing in a 3rd XV comp, or playing for a 1st XV at the bottom of the table makes you a bad player.

Fair Dinkum, some people need to give themselves an uppercut and put their entitled prejudices behind them.

and here we have @ HJ heavily disguised as his WWE alter ego Rowdy Randy Savage being interviewed by Mean Gene about the said "cream". Powerful stuff @HJ.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Well said. Head coach has been pretty ordinary these last few years. Hasn't got a clue
This coach (& his assistant IIRC) have been in charge of NSW Teams at U16 and opens for a few years now.

While I am no Bob Dwyer or Rod McQueen, some of their tactics, game plans, selections and replacement strategies over the years has left me somewhat perplexed.

Folks with a Tin Foil Hat to wear will find conspiracy whenever they go looking for it, but we only get to see a brief part of the players time at Nationals. We don't get to see how Player X performs at training, or how they conduct themselves around the accommodation. In many respects, how coachable the player is and how do they fit into the overall team culture is as important as is natural talent. Some would say it is more important, and that better people make better rugby players.

These off field aspects that punters, friends, parents and associates don't see shape the attitude from the coach to the player, and how they are managed on game day. These could be contributing factors why a player doesn't get as much game time as they or their parents would believe they warrant.

Coaches can only work with the product they are given. "Not having a clue" may be a little harsh, but there is a growing body of evidence building.

While it is "nice" to have an entry in the scrapbook and a trinket to display from being selected for an ASRU team, not making the team is a first world problem, and sometimes it can be a blessing in disguise to not be associated with an underperforming team.

Quality players that do not make ASRU teams can be seen as a good thing by the Sydney Club Colts Directors because these players will only attract a 4 Player Point value as opposed to 6 if they make ASRU, and IIRC the loading is only for 1 season as opposed to two seasons for ASRU representatives. Club Colts directors are wily enough to recognise that ongoing performance by the players at their club is completely unrelated to their Schoolboy rep CV.

RugbyPurist

Bob McCowan (2)
This coach (& his assistant IIRC) have been in charge of NSW Teams at U16 and opens for a few years now.

While I am no Bob Dwyer or Rid McQueen, some of their tactics, game plans, selections and replacement strategies over the years has left me somewhat perplexed.
<snip>
Coaches can only work with the product they are given. "Not having a clue" may be a little harsh, but there is a growing body of evidence building.
<snip>
Actually have no clue is accurate. The coach is from Newington. He has seen The great Tyrone at both 12 and 14. Simply put Tyrone is a devastating player on the wing, and has not been as successful as we may have hoped at 12. This was proved at school level and at GPS they used him on the wing with effect. That Newington coach knew how to use him. Now Tyrone finds himself overlooked for higher honours due to the position one of his own school's coaching staff put Him in. If you are gong to put your hand up to coach at that level shouldn't you be able to make simple positional decisions. Unfortunately NSW1 didn't have. McGregor to carry the on field leadership and direction this year to make up for lack>> of game plan....and what schoolboys team's number one desire wouldn't be to get the ball to Yirribi in the final. Really beyond bad.

footy4life

Chris McKivat (8)
Actually have no clue is accurate. The coach is from Newington. He has seen The great Tyrone at both 12 and 14. Simply put Tyrone is a devastating player on the wing, and has not been as successful as we may have hoped at 12. This was proved at school level and at GPS they used him on the wing with effect. That Newington coach knew how to use him. Now Tyrone finds himself overlooked for higher honours due to the position one of his own school's coaching staff put Him in. If you are gong to put your hand up to coach at that level shouldn't you be able to make simple positional decisions. Unfortunately NSW1 didn't have. McGregor to carry the on field leadership and direction this year to make up for lack of game plan..and what schoolboys team's number one desire wouldn't be to get the ball to Yirribi in the final. Really beyond bad.

I was incredibly surprised when I became aware of the fact that Tyrone didn't make Australian schoolboys or Australian barbarians. An incredibly devastating player on the pitch is capably of some incredible things. A player who if not used to start in either of those sides would be a very good player to use off the bench as an impact player either in the centres or on the wing.

sidesteppa

Watty Friend (18)
@sidesteppa which game will you be recording this weekend?

Newington v Trinity
Grammar v Cranbrook
Scots v Waverley

what are the other match ups this weekend?
Um, not Shore [pun intended], this time last year I went to Scots/Waverley but they gave all their stars the weekend off. Possibly might do the same myself.
Is there any news on Luke Rixon's injury? Shouldn't impact on his pace, luckily.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Um, not Shore [pun intended], this time last year I went to Scots/Waverley but they gave all their stars the weekend off. Possibly might do the same myself.
Is there any news on Luke Rixon's injury? Shouldn't impact on his pace, luckily.

Does any one know where and when the Newington v Trinty Games are being played. Further, will the teams be at full strength as in the past I watched more of a joint 1st XV & 2XV Team play. Also usually, the 13As,14s,15s &16As play as well. Any information is very much appreciated.

footy4life

Chris McKivat (8)
Does any one know where and when the Newington v Trinty Games are being played. Further, will the teams be at full strength as in the past I watched more of a joint 1st XV & 2XV Team play. Also usually, the 13As,14s,15s &16As play as well. Any information is very much appreciated.

The Newington vs Trinity games will be held at Newington this year this Saturday. I can't tell you whether or not the team will be full strength but it'll certainly be close. I am fairly sure all the representative players are playing. Also yes all the age group A's teams will be playing with the 13A's commencing at 11am.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
i recall he started a year 9 scholarship kid in the School 1's a few years ago, so the kid obviously had ability.
Fast forward to year 12 after 4 years of 10 sessions a week!
The kid could still only pass one way.
So he's no genius.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
The Newington vs Trinity games will be held at Newington this year this Saturday. I can't tell you whether or not the team will be full strength but it'll certainly be close. I am fairly sure all the representative players are playing. Also yes all the age group A's teams will be playing with the 13A's commencing at 11am.

Thank you, footy4life,the information is deeply appreciated

Regards

Black & White

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Newington College v Trinity Grammar School

1st XV NC 48 beat Trinity 5
2nd XV NC 57 beat Trinity 5

16As NC 71 bTrinity 12
15As NC 22 b Trinty 12
14As NC 43 b Trinity 10
13As NC 21 b Trinity 5