• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldColt

Sydney Middleton (9)
<video clip removed by Mods>
Was that an elbow in the tackle, or just a shoulder?

Mods Edit:Take up concerns about foul play with the school you may be associated with. The schools are well placed to objectively deal with these issues. Discussion of such on the forums will only end in tears.

S

sidelineview

Wouldn't that suggest that CAS had both field position and possession?

They did at the death. They earned it, but a few minutes earlier the play was at the other end of the field. It was an intense contest from two good young teams.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Top of the table clash between scots and kings (At scots) should be interesting.
Particularly given I gather scots finally have smith back in the centres.

What is story with simonsson... Didn't see him in the newington footage , and unless I am mistaken he did not make the league team?

Either way continue to think newington is going to take some big scalps. They looked pretty well coached to me... Isn't their coach the same one that coached nsw 1s and copped all the blame?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Either way continue to think newington is going to take some big scalps. They looked pretty well coached to me. Isn't their coach the same one that coached nsw 1s and copped all the blame?

He is, but coaching a team over a full season and pre-season is very different from coaching a rep team. The latter requires a different skill set as the coach has a very limited number of training sessions with the team. Coaches who over-coach in this scenario often struggle (not saying that' what happened in this case). It's much more a case of harnessing the strengths of the players and allowing them to run the game, rather than a highly structured and tactically disciplined unit.

S

sidelineview

Can we let it go?

Next year we will have the hybrid comp with both associations and that might be good for School rugby as a whole.

We'll have the same competitions, the same bold predictions, the same claims to fame and the same sooks.
And the players from the different Associations will join forces in the State and National teams and have a ball.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The players themselves know who the good players are, and those that are full of it and live on their reputations. The better players don't generally wrap themselves around the axle about who is an enrolment anomaly, the school 1st XV results >2 years ago, which School Sporting Association "won" the NSW All Schools Trials fixtures, or how many each association got into the various state teams for National Championships.

The parents and posters on here on the other hand.... ... ... do wrap themselves around axles about all sorts of trivial crap. They need to stop doing so. Carpe Diem not vivunt praeteritum gloriatur.

This is the 2016 AAGPS Thread. Stay on thread. Stop trolling.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Round 7 Tips
KJN
SJI
KAIS

Trusty 2 Bob's Tips (from the great Season 2016 coin off from May 13)
Round 7 23 Jul 16
KJI
KEN
KAIS

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
@NIS you're clearly stirring the pot and/or pulling the speculation chain as I can't imagine such an appalling travesty ;-)))) ever being confirmed.

My mail is that the heads of school have met and discussed a format involving games being played by both associations. Possible GPS would go back to 1 round comp. Apparently Grammar were agitating for change.

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
To whet the whistle(s):

image.jpg

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
A look at Round 7 - Ist XV's

Whichever way you look at it, the next 4 weekends should showcase some compelling Schools Rugby viewing. There's the undeniable "last time we play you in Schoolboys" factor that all the remaining games will have for the Y12's playing, and injuries to key players may have a role (nothing new), but individual reputations and ladder positions will count for sweet blow-all in the closeness of the contests to come.

3 'must watch' games coming right up.

Joeys v Shore (Rnd 2: Joeys 33 def. Shore 10)

The JoeBoys will be 'renewed' for the run home after their last gasp win over Iggies in Rnd 6. Joeys' back-line, most of them fresh from Reps, will just be itching to get their hands on the pill and cause havoc through the Shore 3/4 line and out wide.

Shore's piggies on the other hand, to be led by inspirational lock Suttor, and guided around the paddock by clever halfback, Haskins, will look to cut Joey's supply lines wherever they can.

The injury to Shore dynamo, Rixon, sustained in the National Schools Final shows how cruel the Rugby Gods can sometimes be, and if it turns out to be GPS Season-ending for him, his absence will leave a sizeable hole in Shore's attacking armoury. But Rixon is no 1-man team, and if anyone can run out the Season on guts, determination and "up and into 'em", it's the lads in Navy & White.

JoeBoys @ home should be too strong, and grab their complimentary 'Rowers Lots' at 5pm, Saturday. Joeys by 12.

Iggies v New (Rnd 2: Iggies 44 def. New 30)

Iggies might need to be 'swabbed'. 4 convincing wins to open Season 2016, followed by 2 narrow losses.

Ignore the Win / Loss though. Iggies' For & Against is undeniable (a Comp best +58), and they renew their recent rivalry with New in the highest-scoring games stakes with an average points per game aggregate in the last 4 contests between these two of 72.5 pts/game! These teams can attack!

Both sides have Rep stars aplenty, and can hurt one another with options right across the park, and New's #10, Kuenzle, who missed the Rnd 2 clash, will add depth and structure to New's game - both in attack and D.

For mine, it will come down to whichever team puts in their best, sustained, Defensive effort.

Rorke and Fenn to lead the D, and Iggies, to a 7pt win.

Scots v Kings (Rnd 2: Kings 31 def. Scots 13)

My 'Match of the Round'. A top of the table clash; both teams having dropped just the one this Season. But only one will still be able to boast that come this Saturday evening. There will be tears.

There's not too much in it.

Kings' near water-tight D has rarely been stretched this Season. But then, so too, Scots' Defensive linesmen are no slouches. The Against stats don't lie.

On points For - Kings 151, and Scots 138 - statistically, there's nary a Tally-ho ciggie paper between them, offensively.

Kings, since Season start, have been the real deal; the complete package. Scots have simply found a way, or more accurately, found the ways, including cleaning up the wasteful and wayward kicking game they took out to Kings back in Round 2.

Kings' have the 'star' go-to players, like Brown (Nick), Lombardi, Pietsch, Osborne, and Brown (Kyle), any or all of whom might carry their side on the day.

Scots embodies the appellation 'star team', and with injury clouds hanging low over a couple of key players, they'll need all of that and then some, to constantly turn up for each other for the full 70'.

Kings go into this one deserved slight favourites, I reckon, but I'll play the 'heart over head' card and call it for the Scots boys at home by 5pts or less.

And lastly, to all the boys, I hope you have a cracking last month of GPS Rugby, fun-filled with your mates - even the training sessions! Enjoy! ;)

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
My mail is that the heads of school have met and discussed a format involving games being played by both associations. Possible GPS would go back to 1 round comp. Apparently Grammar were agitating for change.

It would most probably not be a bad thing for the code at schoolboy level, however can you seriously see this being more than just idle, "mahogany paneled room, whiskey and cigar" chat at this stage, and how much sway would Grammar have in such a discussion?

IMO there would need to be a B-Double load of mind altering substances involved to get these two into bed. Given the long and tortuous history of these two unlikely bed mates can you possibly foresee such a momentous shift being agreed, organised and consummated for 2017?

And anyhow, what trinkets would they play for?

I suppose they could bolt the Henry Plume Shield to the back of the AAGPS School Challenge Trophy and then mount the whole hybrid catastrophe on a rotisserie in the silverware cabinet, while dueling banjos played quietly in the background.

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
Can we let it go?

Next year we will have the hybrid comp with both associations and that might be good for School rugby as a whole.

I have been hearing the same mail from both CAS and GPS sources - so where there is smoke?

A few version doing the rounds but the one getting the most oxygen seems to be around a conference style system where GPS and CAS play their own teams whilst also playing the other association teams once.

No idea how Grammar and High slot in - either in lower grades as we have seen in recent years or back to the old days in the 1st XV comp?

Another version was each association plays one round and then splits based on results. Would create a more even comp in the 1st XV - but the flow on in the lower grades/ages would not neccesarily be the same. Not sure if this is inclusive of ISA or not.

GPS Observer

Herbert Moran (7)
A 9 school GPS of which 6 play top level rugby, and 5 regularly win those matches. Seems like a compelling case to try and grow the game. Bring on the CAS and the ISA.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

I guess the story depends on who delivers the mail.
Mine is that SJC have been anti the 3rds comp since its inception and that some accomodation needs to be reached with respect to the GPS schools' differing outlooks on the role of rugby: does it drive enrolments or is it an adjunct to a rounded education.
Mine is also one of the mouths of one of the horses.
A similar difference of opinion exists in the CAS, as i interpret things said from that quarter. It seems that at one school in that association enrolments are being used to drive rugby....
With that in mind that school joins the similarly blinded GPS schools. The system I was told of theoretically involved promotion and relegation, I took that to be an escape valve.
Funnily enough, none of this talk will make any change to their respective academic performances. or their fees.......

Status
Not open for further replies.