• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
Gentlemen, I have been watching and reading your interesting comments for some time, and had many good laughs, it's a great forum.

I too have major concerns over the drop in school boy rugby participation.

Having read many suggestions, and apparent good mail on what might happen, my view is as follows:

This MUST be treated as a business, Junior rugby is simply being out-marketed by the other codes. Combining the GPS,CAS,ISA etc isn't the solution in my opinion. Indeed any such amalgamations have strong inherent problems in themselves.

The BIG picture is participation numbers, other codes are eating our lunch!

I would think the ARU has the responsibility of leading a future plan development and its execution.

The question now remains, is the ARU aware, if not, how should it be brought to their attention!

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Gentlemen, I have been watching and reading your interesting comments for some time, and had many good laughs, it's a great forum.

I would think the ARU has the responsibility of leading a future plan development and its execution.

The question now remains, is the ARU aware, if not, how should it be brought to their attention!

Welcome to the AAGPS thread @WLF.

There is also a thread dedicated to the "Continued Decline in Sydney Junior Rugby" where some of the comments and questions you've raised above have had a good kicking.... so jump on there and give your views an airing ;)

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
Welcome to the AAGPS thread @WLF.

There is also a thread dedicated to the "Continued Decline in Sydney Junior Rugby" where some of the comments and questions you've raised above have had a good kicking.. so jump on there and give your views an airing ;)
Thankyou Azzuri, I did see that thread but thought more attention is clearly payed to this thread.To your knowledge, or anyone's,has anyone done anything about this problem?

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
Thankyou Azzuri, I did see that thread but thought more attention is clearly payed to this thread.To your knowledge, or anyone's,has anyone done anything about this problem?

I think the main discussion on this thread is the merits or otherwise of the proposed GPS/CAS combined competition next season.

Participation in Junior Club rugby best left for the other thread.

Participation at School rugby here.

I have changed my thoughts on the combined comp and think there is some merit in it. For CAS (Schools) to improve they need to be playing the best schools, Clearly Knox is wanting to stepup and cant play anything other than pre season trials or friendly's against GPS (which really mean not much).

It is obvious (at least from this years outing) that CAS have plenty of talent and can field good representative teams. So a more diverse competition with more teams should be good for school boy rugby in general.

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
I think the main discussion on this thread is the merits or otherwise of the proposed GPS/CAS combined competition next season.

I have changed my thoughts on the combined comp and think there is some merit in it. For CAS (Schools) to improve they need to be playing the best schools, Clearly Knox is wanting to stepup and cant play anything other than pre season trials or friendly's against GPS (which really mean not much).

It is obvious (at least from this years outing) that CAS have plenty of talent and can field good representative teams. So a more diverse competition with more teams should be good for school boy rugby in general.

NIS I was including school rugby as Junior rugby, anyway I do mean GPS,CAS etc in my question. Clearly any amalgamations need to be very carefully thought through, ie we don't want some schools joining a new comp and being absolutely thumped, that may further reduce player numbers. If there are 2 divisions the issue may be that the gap gets so big that no 2nd div team will not really compete if moved up to div 1.
As we know there are already some GPS schools who already play in a lower div and probably would not be competitive if moved up. It could go either way, ie good or bad. Buy- in by the obvious GPS and CAS schools is critical and given the agendas of head masters, which can be very different, I think we need the ARU to create a player ground swell that results in increased player numbers.In other words MAKE player numbers increase.

If we look forward,and not far, it is apparent that some CAS schools in the 13's have only 2 or 3 teams in that age group, so by opens time looking really bad.

In my view it's the ARU who must lead this, and the same applies for the QLD schools, same trend is happening.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)

I don't like the idea at all as I think it will compound the problems we already have.

If you combine the two strongest associations to create a super comp wont it just increase the gap between the private system with its amazing resources and the rest who will have to rely on the chicken feed funding from the ARU?

Won't this also push the arms race to new levels. Especially when CAS schools don't have the same scholarship "rules" that the AAGPS has etc etc. This will have the effect of further concentrating talent in the private school system and therefore negatively affect the selections of non private school lads in higher rep squads like AU schoolboys. Bad,bad,bad idea in my books. Bringing CAS and AAGPS together won't do anything for the code at the junior level which is what desperately needs to be fixed.

IMO the future of the sport is highly dependant on addressing the issues that are strangling the talent pipeline at junior level and killing any opportunity of creating the broad base, code loyalty and inclusive juniors programs that soccer, five kick and Aerial Ping pong have and are creating.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
NIS I was including school rugby as Junior rugby, anyway I do mean GPS,CAS etc in my question. Clearly any amalgamations need to be very carefully thought through, ie we don't want some schools joining a new comp and being absolutely thumped, that may further reduce player numbers. If there are 2 divisions the issue may be that the gap gets so big that no 2nd div team will not really compete if moved up to div 1.
As we know there are already some GPS schools who already play in a lower div and probably would not be competitive if moved up. It could go either way, ie good or bad. Buy- in by the obvious GPS and CAS schools is critical and given the agendas of head masters, which can be very different, I think we need the ARU to create a player ground swell that results in increased player numbers.In other words MAKE player numbers increase.

If we look forward,and not far, it is apparent that some CAS schools in the 13's have only 2 or 3 teams in that age group, so by opens time looking really bad.

In my view it's the ARU who must lead this, and the same applies for the QLD schools, same trend is happening.

I don't think you need to be a rocket scientist to work it out.

Clearly the growth sports are Soccer and AFL. These are perceived to be safer and less likelihood of serious injury. Rugby administrators need to address this at junior level and make Rugby the contact sport of choice.

Weight grading is a very positive start, but more could be done.

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
I don't think you need to be a rocket scientist to work it out.

Clearly the growth sports are Soccer and AFL. These are perceived to be safer and less likelihood of serious injury. Rugby administrators need to address this at junior level and make Rugby the contact sport of choice.

Weight grading is a very positive start, but more could be done.

Yes, right on the money NIS and I agree completely with Azzurie, even though I don't know the gentleman and went to a CAS school, we don't need to re-shuffle the deck chairs, ie a new combined comp. WE need organic growth.The "safer" bit needs to be de- bunked for the mums who are completely controlling this agenda there are more knee and concussion injuries in soccer and afl.
Once again the ARU needs to drive organic/participation numbers, otherwise over time, game over!

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
All noble causes require sacrifice Azzuri. Gird the loins and man the barracades - we shall overcome!
Guys, l do love the banter and there will be plenty more I hope. I joined the forum to see if I can assist, or anyone has contacts/ clout to address the declining junior/school boy issue. I can banter BIGTIME if all this forum does do, ie no action on the important issue,but I would won't last too long if that's all it is. I do note that nearly ALL of the forum participants have yet to give an opinion,so please give us your thoughts. I am sure regardless of association, we are joined together. GO THE WALLABIES!

Show and go

Sydney Middleton (9)
Yes they are a talented group of players, but are you seriously suggesting that the Manly Harold Matts team is the only place where talented 15 year olds want to play?

Not a bad effort for Manly HM. to get 6 players in the NSW u16s team out of 25.

But "seriously "what would I know, only that 9/25 players selected for NSW played/trained for HM this year, that might tell u something .

SG ball training has now started for next year if this helps.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Guys, l do love the banter and there will be plenty more I hope. I joined the forum to see if I can assist, or anyone has contacts/ clout to address the declining junior/school boy issue. I can banter BIGTIME if all this forum does do, ie no action on the important issue,but I would won't last too long if that's all it is. I do note that nearly ALL of the forum participants have yet to give an opinion,so please give us your thoughts. I am sure regardless of association, we are joined together. GO THE WALLABIES!
Admire your enthusiasm and suggest you spend some time reading through a number of the forums staring with continued decline in Sydney Junior Rugby. You will see that amongst the banter many many opinions have been ventured on this issue. If you have some new and useful suggestions I'm sure they will be well received.

Rugby Mum 2

Bill Watson (15)
Agreed Azzuri, but how DO we get rid of all those Eastern Suburbs and North Shore Mums?

At your peril CatchnPass! Just think about cold pies, unwashed jerseys and socks, and a packet of Shapes instead of the usual lavish CWA inspired afternoon teas. I am feeling marginalised and may need to set up a support group.

Rugby mothers are part of the solution not the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.