• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

pilf_enthusiast

Bob McCowan (2)
I'm surprised there hasn't been many mentions of young Darcy Breen in this forum, he's outdone all expectations making GPS 1 and NSW II. The converted back-rower has a big future ahead and I look forward to watching his next year and a half of AAGPS rugby.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
I'm surprised there hasn't been many mentions of young Darcy Breen in this forum, he's outdone all expectations making GPS 1 and NSW II. The converted back-rower has a big future ahead and I look forward to watching his next year and a half of AAGPS rugby.

You actually mentioned him In post 1805 where you said....

"With all respect to Darcy Breen, I think he is too young and inexperienced. He needs time to mature as a player and adapt to the front row position"...

pilf_enthusiast

Bob McCowan (2)
You actually mentioned him In post 1805 where you said..

"With all respect to Darcy Breen, I think he is too young and inexperienced. He needs time to mature as a player and adapt to the front row position".

Since that comment, Breen has been given time to mature and he has adapted to his front row position very well. All I wanted was others opinions on him not to point out messages from 2 months ago.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Personally, I have never understood how AFL is given a clean bill by mothers: the potential for injuries is horrendous. You are fair game from any one of 360 degrees, there is shepherding off the ball, there is leaping in the air with not apparent control on contact etc etc.
Many may not have noticed that a poor bloke in WA was rendered a quadriplegic playing aerial ping pong last weekend: http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/af...e/news-story/40f783d65b63d1307df4326c0cbbf0ff

And just searching "WAFL quadriplegic" got many many hits.

Somehow the game manages to escape any harm to its image from the prevalence of serious injuries.

Not so many obvious and large PI boys IS - a perceived but as you say illusionary safety factor.

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
Since that comment, Breen has been given time to mature and he has adapted to his front row position very well. All I wanted was others opinions on him not to point out messages from 2 months ago.

As a Scots devotee I think Darcy has had a tremendous season and deserves the selections and honours he has achieved.
He has held his own against all adversaries in the set piece and as a former back row is very mobile for a prop.
Always good to have front rowers come through and perform in Year 11 with another year to learn the dark arts of scrummaging and gain strength in the gym.
He should be vying for even higher honours next year.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)

Breen and Edwards should be the 2 props for both GPS 1 and NSW 1 next year, and from there who knows. Both had good campaigns at this years Nationals.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Rather, they should be selecting a teacher who is a combination of a brilliant academic that knows their subject, a team player amongst his staff with excellent interpersonal skills and a sports enthusiasts. This combination is rarely chosen.

Because if you have those characteristics you're making a squillion in the wider world

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The AFL media are more publicists for the code than journalists. There's more chance of Chinese state media criticising Chinese foreign policy than there is the AFL media publishing anything harmful to the image of the game.

My understanding is that's because the AFL have more journos than Newscorp has worldwide providing copy to the media outlets

OAUI

Allen Oxlade (6)
Suggest there is too many boof-heads blocking the door for more women to be involved or directing them to the social committee at junior clubs. It is a massive loss to our development we are not further down the track by not
having more women and mums at the top of juniors. Mosman president and Warringah juniors pres are both ladies and not only well versed but bring perspectives that are well worth hearing. Elizabeth Broderick, recent ARU board appointee and former sex discrimination commissioner needs to get on board. She was a sideline mum for many years at a big Sydney junior club and do what she has done with the armed forces - enact change.

AFL are winning at school level because of the product they have, the support they give schools which usually means the teachers hand over 8 classrooms of kids while young AFL types take over and run them ragged for a couple of hours while teachers attend to their school work. Principles love it for that as well as low contact / injury risk. God help us when soccer get more money from a free to air deal and pump it into development. And when is rugby going to get a Super Rugby derby's, involving Aussie teams, regularly on free to air ?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
AFL are winning at school level because of the product they have, the support they give schools which usually means the teachers hand over 8 classrooms of kids while young AFL types take over and run them ragged for a couple of hours while teachers attend to their school work. Principles love it for that as well as low contact / injury risk. God help us when soccer get more money from a free to air deal and pump it into development. And when is rugby going to get a Super Rugby derby's, involving Aussie teams, regularly on free to air ?

fixed

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Suggest there is too many boof-heads blocking the door for more women to be involved or directing them to the social committee at junior clubs. It is a massive loss to our development we are not further down the track by not
having more women and mums at the top of juniors. Mosman president and Warringah juniors pres are both ladies and not only well versed but bring perspectives that are well worth hearing. Elizabeth Broderick, recent ARU board appointee and former sex discrimination commissioner needs to get on board. She was a sideline mum for many years at a big Sydney junior club and do what she has done with the armed forces - enact change.

NSW JRU President is a woman and has been for some time. You can decide whether junior rugby is in a better state than it was several years ago.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
^^^Shore have 3 AFL teams this year, (2 last year and 1 the year before). I understand that Newington will offer AFL as a sport to Year 7 next year.

Shane Smeltz

Fred Wood (13)
^^^Shore have 3 AFL teams this year, (2 last year and 1 the year before). I understand that Newington will offer AFL as a sport to Year 7 next year.
And I know for a fact Riverview is fielding more AFL teams; a dad I know sent his Yr 10 sons to Canberra for the week in the April school holidays for a Schools AFL tournament. The boys are Swans products (and built like it).
My understanding is the Riverview Yr 10 team/s plays in a Saturday club comp. The school I am sure would be more than happy to participate in an inter-school Saturday AFL comp with perhaps other GPS schools.
Less boys playing rugby sadly - these particular boys should be playing second row in the 16As.

Status
Not open for further replies.