• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
to answer that question azzuri you have to be able to say which part is the dog and which is the tail
why is there always a food allegory in your posts

A1: in my estimation Grammar is neither dog nor tail; but very likely Brain. It seems however that recent history would dictate that brain will never win over self interest and the desire for world domination, hence my comment about Grammar's influence on these discussions.

A2: Good question, I'll mull that over while I'm washing down a nice plump piece of Fromage De Meaux on a crusty french baguette with a cheeky little Chateau Belair Monange St Emillion 2010, and get back to you.

Q1: How's the patient and is he already focusing on next years comeback tour in addition to life at University?

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
neither, I don't think: but Im never entirely sure.

the theory is if you get 400 in a year ($12,000,000 gross fees per annum per year) you should be able to find 5 who can play and if you add that to the 5 who can play in the year below you're only 5 short.
they will "appear" later

i thought the theory was if you need more enrolments? recruit some talented rugby players (i dare not mention how) = win the GPS/CAS... and then enrolment problems are solved.

Something like "Build it and they will come".

Has worked at least twice in the past couple of decades at two GPS schools.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
A 9 school GPS of which 6 play top level rugby, and 5 regularly win those matches. Seems like a compelling case to try and grow the game. Bring on the CAS and the ISA.

Growing the game is something that needs to be done a club level or in the state system. There's plenty of incentive and opportunity for boys in all 3 independent systems to play rugby - that fewer and fewer do reflects the demographic of their enrolments. Fiddling with who plays who, will not have any impact on how many boys actually play the game.

Given that none of the CAS or ISA schools have beaten one of the top 6 GPS schools this year and the fact that CAS and ISA schools generally have less teams than their GPS counterparts, the basis for this utopian competition is yet to be established IMO.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
neither, I don't think: but Im never entirely sure.

the theory is if you get 400 in a year ($12,000,000 gross fees per annum per year) you should be able to find 5 who can play and if you add that to the 5 who can play in the year below you're only 5 short.
they will "appear" later

What schools have an intake of 400 in a year??

GPS Observer

Herbert Moran (7)
It would, IMO, certainly generate a lot of interest if all 3 associations combined into one rugby competition.
And, in the top level GPS competition , it probably cant afford to lose anymore participants.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
A1: in my estimation Grammar is neither dog nor tail; but very likely Brain. It seems however that recent history would dictate that brain will never win over self interest and the desire for world domination, hence my comment about Grammar's influence on these discussions.

A2: Good question, I'll mull that over while I'm washing down a nice plump piece of Fromage De Meaux on a crusty french baguette with a cheeky little Chateau Belair Monange St Emillion 2010, and get back to you.

Q1: How's the patient and is he already focusing on next years comeback tour in addition to life at University?

The italian name but french tastes: perplexing - but you've given me a wine to look out for.
The question was not entirely idle: on what does the perceived "kudos" enjoyed by the GPS schools rest? I seriously doubt that it rests on some community wide knowledge of the historical strength of its rugby. I suspect that tradition has a lot to do with it, but australia has changed and is changing (subject always to Pauline and Sonya getting their way).
Tradition cuts some mustard but given that the fees are all pretty much the same what does the uninitiated customer want for their GPS education?
If you break open the AAGPS box you may find that the pieces don't all quite fit and if one school is no longer a GPS school and it substantially carries the academic kudos in the wider community what do you have then?
It is interesting that for all the rugby played in non-government schools in England they are all pretty fiercely academically demanding - more so even than Grammar in some cases.
A1: thanks for asking, seems good (as it did last time). Planning next season does seem a bit hollow but he's got plenty of time to work on that ATAR.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
^^^^If you go by what's on their website, most GPS schools seem to place academics above all else in the way to promote themselves. Only one doesn't. They all promote co-curricular offerings, but it's interesting to note that nearly all of the schools are in the process of offering more and more sports to their students. Accepting that schools have a finite number of places, then more sports means that the established sports will have reduced numbers moving forward. (That means rugby, rowing and cricket - a process which has been underway for 20 years and shows no sign of either slowing or reversing).

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Help,

There is no writer for the View v Newington game.

I don't want to mention any names but View writer (Bryon bloody Williamson) is selfishly swanning around the Greek islands (without my permission) and won't get an early flight back to do the match report.

There is no Newington writer.

So if anybody perchance is going to the game could they please put their hands up to do a match report please?

I will be gentle.

Or at least can a few people put some details and opinions in the forum (Saturday please) and I can pick out some bullet points and say they are from "An Observer".

Or Azzuri - you could find out the score and yarn on about it though you weren't there.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
^^^^If you go by what's on their website, most GPS schools seem to place academics above all else in the way to promote themselves. Only one doesn't. They all promote co-curricular offerings, but it's interesting to note that nearly all of the schools are in the process of offering more and more sports to their students. Accepting that schools have a finite number of places, then more sports means that the established sports will have reduced numbers moving forward. (That means rugby, rowing and cricket - a process which has been underway for 20 years and shows no sign of either slowing or reversing).
Someone suggested that TKS have a dedicated AFL field somewhere - probably had to knock down some hut previously used for smoking: Azzuri should know if it's true

sidesteppa

Watty Friend (18)
Finally uploaded the full footage of the 14 May round2 Newington v Riverview game. It's 39mins long [incl. team 'song' at the end].

Status
Not open for further replies.