• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW CAS Rugby 2020

garyuren

Bob McCowan (2)
With Aloys playing Waverley this week, could there be a possible repeat of the Death Valley fixture from last year ??

FoleyBealeFolau

Ward Prentice (10)
So the only way in increase numbers of team is increase students, less BOTE (Less $$$$$) reduce competing sports get rid of AFL or maybe make it the sport of choice

What sort of New South Welshman plays AFL? I went away from following schoolboy rugby for a while and I have only got back into it in recent years and only when I did was I told about an AFL program at my old school Cranbrook. I can distinctly remember scoffing as to me it was markedly bizarre. I was re-assured at the time that all the teams 'got pumped' and that there was little involvement. Yet according to my son it appears the program is growing and apparently luring athletes which could potentially be good rugby boys and probably would of had they been born 30 years earlier.

So I ask the question why were AFL programs started in NSW's private schools? Who let them in? And why? Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this Victorian game inherently detrimental to the game we hold in such high regard. I can remember when the Swans first came to Sydney in 1982, everyone laughed that they got no crowds but now they get roughly 30,000 a night whilst the Tahs get 11,000. Who's to say that the same trend can't occur at schoolboy level?

ZHC

Peter Burge (5)
@Rugby League, very good questions.

What happened, was that many years ago, the AFL CEO at the time Andrew Demetriou, created a plan to put AFL into NSW, massively and permanently. AD first started in NSW country, approaching council with run down fields, that AFL would pay for their maintenance if AFL posts were put in. Then he approached schools, funding it all.

Meanwhile Rugby Union and Rugby League, for the majority of the people in the right places did SFA, as they thought NSW was safe from GAYFL. Well, as many of us knew, that would not be the case. The officials in both codes had their blinkers on, big time, Phil Gould saw it but no one listened to him. Meanwhile, AFL just ploughed in the funds, their administration a lot lot smarter than Rah Rah and League in looking after their money from broadcast rights.

Rugby League, have found their own Andrew Demetriou, with Peter V'landys now running their show. Doing an excellent job, though probably a tad late to stop AFL now.

Rugby Union, on the back foot still. IMHO, they need private funding to find a AD/PVL/John O'Neill person.

There Are Three Types of People:
- Those Who Make Things Happen i.e. AFL
- Those Who Watch Things Happen i.e. People like us and Phil Gould
- and Those Who Wonder What Happened i.e. The Rugby Union and Rugby League administrators

Anyway, enough of my ranting, a dry McWilliams sherry nightcap then off to bed.

Suggest, you do some research of your own.

Jonathan lumerick

Frank Row (1)
With Aloys playing Waverley this week, could there be a possible repeat of the Death Valley fixture from last year ??

Although I see this weekends game as being a one sided affair between waverly and Aloys, i think it should be noted that in the last 6 years (2014-2019) waverly have won 3 and aloys have won 3. I think id be silly to think aloys will fold over this weekend. Despite that I do see this weekends game to be a heavy defeat to aloys

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
rugby-png.10800

Interesting. Did you factor in that Barker is co-ed now? Also - Knox had 23 teams in 2019 when they came to Northbridge.

Trinity's demographic is not Rugby-friendly.

The school has had, since the 70s, a large intake from migrant backgrounds (especially Greek and Lebanese). Some of these boys have played Rugby; many have preferred soccer. It now has an extremely large intake from Indian and Sri Lankan backgrounds, which has been better for its cricket than its Rugby. 71% is a surprising number, but not out of the question.

Interesting bit of trivia for you: Rugby is the second most popular sport in Sri Lanka by player numbers after cricket (source: SL Ministry of Sport). When I was involved in Rugby in Asia we always had a couple of teams turn up to tournaments and they were pretty good. Probably not why those kids are going to Trinity but I was amazed when I tried to organise a tour to SL how many clubs there were.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Interesting. Did you factor in that Barker is co-ed now? Also - Knox had 23 teams in 2019 when they came to Northbridge.

Interesting bit of trivia for you: Rugby is the second most popular sport in Sri Lanka by player numbers after cricket (source: SL Ministry of Sport). When I was involved in Rugby in Asia we always had a couple of teams turn up to tournaments and they were pretty good. Probably not why those kids are going to Trinity but I was amazed when I tried to organise a tour to SL how many clubs there were.

All true. But who would you prefer in your side, the five best schools players from Sri Lanka or the five best from Samoa?

Flavio

Ward Prentice (10)

Barker had 2149 students last year, 1776 boys 373 girls, I took out the Junior School numbers. This chart is only for years 7-12

Knox dont make their sports fixtures public, but more teams brings it closer the average

Lovetap

Peter Burge (5)
Has anyone hear in this heard of Joseph Morris from Waverley 16A's who plays tight head. he was originally in b's but with the injured joel caltagirone-pantano he took his spot in the team. he then went on to play for Sydney u16's almost making gen blue. i think he'll have a strong chance of potentially playing 1st XV. anyone heard of him???
Just scrolling through past comments , I am wondering what has happened to Joe Morris ? Has he left Waverley ?

bring back rucking

Fred Wood (13)
Knox is putting out 25 teams of XV this weekend against Cranbrook, Barker, Waverley, Pius, Auggies and Oakhill

Plus an additional 94 players listed as reserves or injured.

So essentially they have the capacity for touch over 30 teams across the age groups in a simplistic "everyone plays" viewpoint.

14s is the lightest with 66. Opens the most with 143.

R

RuggerFan1

This is a spreadsheet I did last year, with data from Myschools and School team lists. It shows a correlation between the number of students, less the number that have language background other than English to the number if rugby teams. It make the presumption that BOTE students are less likely to play rugby. So you need about 60 available potential players for each team. KNOX is a bit of a stab in the dark and BOTE of Trinity seems way out of wack, if it were 40% it would be on the money.

So the only way in increase numbers of team is increase students, less BOTE (Less $$$$$) reduce competing sports get rid of AFL or maybe make it the sport of choice

rugby-png.10800
What does BOTE stand for

bring back rucking

Fred Wood (13)
Barker had 2149 students last year, 1776 boys 373 girls, I took out the Junior School numbers. This chart is only for years 7-12

Knox dont make their sports fixtures public, but more teams brings it closer the average

Knox has 2130 students in the senior school

garyuren

Bob McCowan (2)
Potential for an eventual merger between the ISA, CAS and GPS comps with there formation of one Greater Sydney Schools Rugby competition and tiers to that competition i.e. 1st grade Barker, Waverley, St Augustines, Joeys, Scots, St Stanislaus ? Problem with this system emerges however in terms of number of sides per school and the fact that, whilst St Augustines could compete, St Stanislaus would have a hard time competing - in general - ISA teams would struggle to match it but thoughts ?

Mr Serious

Peter Burge (5)
'Background other than English'

MP (Moana Pasifika)

Hey Pooper, I don't think BOTE stand for 'Background Other Than English' unless the statistics provided are wrong. As the percentage factor for Waves is extremely low which seems very unusual especially after seeing their u16A, 2XV and 1XV play the other weekend as each team predominantly consisted of big Polynesian boys. Would only assume that there younger siblings/cousins will be getting enrolled into the school if they match the Edmen rice scholarship requirement - to offer some size and strength on the rugby pitch HA HA.

Mr S :)

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Potential for an eventual merger between the ISA, CAS and GPS comps with there formation of one Greater Sydney Schools Rugby competition and tiers to that competition i.e. 1st grade Barker, Waverley, St Augustines, Joeys, Scots, St Stanislaus ? Problem with this system emerges however in terms of number of sides per school and the fact that, whilst St Augustines could compete, St Stanislaus would have a hard time competing - in general - ISA teams would struggle to match it but thoughts ?

You wouldn't snap your fingers and get a perfect competition overnight. You'd get a series of better competitions. If I were designing it, I suspect you'd have three tiers - one, the elite level, for the schools with big programs to which serious resources are devoted. The lower tier would be schools who want to play Rugby on a fairly casual basis, and generally have one team in each age group. And most schools would be in the middle tier, which would have to be organised into different conferences (based on geography and history). (You could split the middle tier into two tiers, but most schools in this bracket would be fairly evenly matched.)

Importantly, you'd change it over time, based on the size and scope of the school's program and consistent performance measured across a range of criteria.

The critical thing is to take short-term 1st XV performance out of the equation. That isn't how we should evaluate a school's Rugby program.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Hey Pooper, I don't think BOTE stand for 'Background Other Than English' unless the statistics provided are wrong. As the percentage factor for Waves is extremely low which seems very unusual especially after seeing their u16A, 2XV and 1XV play the other weekend as each team predominantly consisted of big Polynesian boys. Would only assume that there younger siblings/cousins will be getting enrolled into the school if they match the Edmen rice scholarship requirement - to offer some size and strength on the rugby pitch HA HA.

Mr S :)

Is Edmen rice any relation to Edmund Rice?