• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW CAS Rugby 2021

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Try to View 8 min after 30 phases. What a game. Ft View win 24/16. Best game of schoolboy rugby I have seen in 3 years.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
View have always been a bit of a handful for Barker the last few years. Wish I had been there. Sounds like a heart stopper.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
FT was 24/18.... Tremendous game. My heart is still racing. View deserved favourites for GPS title from what I have seen. O'Donnel was the difference between the sides. The clash of the 10s was a draw in my opinion. I take my hat off to the Barker defence. View had 2 or 3 stages in the game were they pressured the Barker line with 25 phases or more. Barker pushed the last pass to often, but that was their only criticism. The Reds had the View scrum on skates, winning at least 4 tight heads, but ultimately this did not convert into points due to small errors. I will say this though. Given Barker was without Wil Kennedy at 12, McIntyre at 15 and Hooper at 4, those lads would have made a difference. This game was all about courage and Barker showed plenty, as did View. Both sides will enter their respective comps as favourites. Yes I think Barker deserve to be favourites over Waves, but it will be oh so close at Hornsby.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
The lead in this game changed 3 times in last 15min. View lead 17/10 when Barker scored try. Katoa missed conversion. left the Reds trailing 17/15. Then after a poor lick off Barker worked ball up field in extra time and scored a 3 point penalty to lead for the first time 18/17. But on the restart, Barker cooughed up possesion, View then started a 30 phase onslaught without error. It was tremendous rugby from both sides. Huge defence by Barker but they could not force the turnover. The number of times ODonnell was dragged down inches short was incredible. Finally numbers outwide counted and View scored in the corner at 4.48pm. The kick was good. FT 24/18 to View. Best game of schoolboy rugby I have seen since 2018. Well done to both teams.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
FT was 24/18.. Tremendous game. My heart is still racing. View deserved favourites for GPS title from what I have seen. O'Donnel was the difference between the sides. The clash of the 10s was a draw in my opinion. I take my hat off to the Barker defence. View had 2 or 3 stages in the game were they pressured the Barker line with 25 phases or more. Barker pushed the last pass to often, but that was their only criticism. The Reds had the View scrum on skates, winning at least 4 tight heads, but ultimately this did not convert into points due to small errors. I will say this though. Given Barker was without Wil Kennedy at 12, McIntyre at 15 and Hooper at 4, those lads would have made a difference. This game was all about courage and Barker showed plenty, as did View. Both sides will enter their respective comps as favourites. Yes I think Barker deserve to be favourites over Waves, but it will be oh so close at Hornsby.

I have to agree with you, Riverview are a tremendous team and have always been in this age group. Barker are clearly a very good side. Waves were absolutely terrible today, but FULL credit to Oakhill, they never gave in and had the bounce of ball gone their way, they could have won it!
The Waves did everything possible to lose the game today, but weren't good enough to do that!

Barker are clear favs, and Knox given that Knox beat Riverview, albeit without Bowen (but I believe he also only had limited time today v Barker) are right beside Barker. That's it in a nutshell.

The Metre Eater

Ward Prentice (10)
Anyone else slightly put off by the performance of the ‘view old boys on the eastern side of the oval? I was sitting on the hill but it looked as though they were quite vocal, not to mention their short excursion onto the field after the last play.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Anyone else slightly put off by the performance of the ‘view old boys on the eastern side of the oval? I was sitting on the hill but it looked as though they were quite vocal, not to mention their short excursion onto the field after the last play.

TME, I wasn't at your game today, I was at Oakhill, but to be fair we have probably all seen our Old Boys be knobs at times, why, because they can, which doesn't justify it. I assume nothing came of anything so I wouldn't worry too much about it. I suspect most people understand that NEW Old Boys can be loose!
Over time they tend to trend towards normal human beings, and most are great men.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
The CAS v GPS clash is going to be a ripper this year. The CAS have the the better forwards but a combined Joeys / View backline will be very potent.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Trinity 20 edged out Shore 14, thanks to a Kidd hat-trick. So the men in green have won six straight, but go into the Associated Schools rounds likely to finish no higher than fourth. Waverley, of course, put 48 points on Shore, and Knox won its game 30-14. So today's result tends to confirm that this is a competitive Trinity side, but one that will be lucky to threaten the top three.

Love2Scrum

Alfred Walker (16)
Well, maybe. No doubt the kid has talent. But he's in Year 11. Let him prove a few things before we start getting Rugby Australia involved. I'm sure he'll be part of the pathways, and then it's up to him. But I'm not a huge fan of hyping the future of 17 year-olds.

Around the time of the fuss over Sua'ali'i, there was an interesting study of exactly how well the 17 year old NRL players had fared. Let's just say that for every Brad Fittler, there were a dozen players who had peaked at 17-18 and then declined rapidly. The last 17 year old who was hyped to this extent (Donaldson) is still in the process of trying to learn what it's like to win a Super Rugby match. These things take time. It's not in anyone's interests, especially the boy's, to lose perspective.

Totally agree and well said.

Love2Scrum

Alfred Walker (16)
The CAS v GPS clash is going to be a ripper this year. The CAS have the the better forwards but a combined Joeys / View backline will be very potent.

Hey Rod, It will surely be a ripper. Having watched Barker, Knox and Waverley this year, I will agree with you on the CAS forwards having said this they’ll be matched by their counterparts in the Backs.
As you would know and understand that you can’t have a Ferrari with a 2 cylinder engine.
This will be the difference between the CAS & GPS.

bring back rucking

Fred Wood (13)
I’m not sure Rod, having seen both joeys and view, O’Donnell and Jorgensen are standouts but I wasn’t blown away by the others.... from a knox perspective 10, 12 and 15 are exceptional and I expect the barker 10 to be the best of the lot by all reports plus 13 and others.... waves no doubt have plenty (haven’t seen either barker or waves yet and we all know how last year was from a viewing perspective)... any really good wingers around in the cas this year?

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Trinity 20 edged out Shore 14, thanks to a Kidd hat-trick. So the men in green have won six straight, but go into the Associated Schools rounds likely to finish no higher than fourth. Waverley, of course, put 48 points on Shore, and Knox won its game 30-14. So today's result tends to confirm that this is a competitive Trinity side, but one that will be lucky to threaten the top three.

Snort, that confirms that this Trinity side is VERY capable.
Shore is a solid GPS side and Trinity have won every game, so their confidence should be pretty high.'
That's great, maybe they can knock over the 2 front runners, in particular Barker, and then Knox.
Waves need to improve dramatically on todays performance, to be honest.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Snort, that confirms that this Trinity side is VERY capable.
Shore is a solid GPS side and Trinity have won every game, so their confidence should be pretty high.'
That's great, maybe they can knock over the 2 front runners, in particular Barker, and then Knox.
Waves need to improve dramatically on todays performance, to be honest.

I see what you did there, WLF. Always nice to be the underdog. Thing is, Waverley is unbeaten (188 points for and 72 against in its last five games) and has played stronger opposition than anyone else but Barker and Knox, who have both sustained losses. I believe you that Waverley struggled in beating Oakhill by 15. But Knox lost to Oakhill.

I'm still saying it's too close to call, with Waverley and Barker jointly the front-runners, Knox a step behind (but capable of an upset) and Cranbrook, Trinity and St Aloysius fighting for fourth.

ZHC

Peter Burge (5)
And a bit of side humour for today's Oakhill v Waverley clash.

There was a warning post about a loud female Oakdale supporter. Waves retorted with their well known banshee ;) So game on ;)

In the end it was a fizzer. A no show from the Oakdale lady, AFAIK. Though just after 1/2 time, there were a 2-3 loud screeches from the northern end of the grandstand, that scared the hell out of number of us fathers, and thought it was on. But that was it. The Waves banshee, though annoying was far from her best. Maybe saving herself for the CAS games at Death Valley. 1-0 to Waves on that.

On the game itself, as WLF reported. Oakhill with a bit more luck could have won. Waverley tried their best for the majority of the game to lose it with zero respect for ball security, and instead at times trying to play like the Harlem Globetrotters. Had to be seen, to see it, especially after their super effort against Kings. The final score flattering Waverley, as with 8 or so minutes to go it was only 17-12 with Oakhill in dominance. Waverley finally broke the shackles worked it down to Oakhill try line, and got a penalty. Even single Waverley supporter in the western grandstand yelled take the 3, to get the 8 point gap. Finally they did, to put the game a lot safer, and then they got a try on fulltime, which was converted to win 27-12.

So onto next week.... Hoping for a Cranbrook win....

Walshy81

Sydney Middleton (9)
FT from around the grounds;

Waves 27 Oak 12
View 24 Barker 18
Knox 30 Newington 22
Brook 33 St Pats 10
Trinity 20 Shore 13
Aloys 38 Greg’s 33