• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW CAS Rugby 2021

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
To all GPS and CAS supporters,

I just happened to see that the annual Rep game between these two associations is June 10, so not far off!
That means the CAS will have had 2 comp rounds and the GPS 1 comp round.

I know this happens every year, but in the good old days, it happened after the last comp game was played, I assume many can remember this occurence!

So whilst players have had a number of games under their belt, eg the cross association games etc, you wouldn't imagine selectors having been at many/any of these games, or necessarily the best games to be at, which makes me think these Rep teams are chosen way too early. I know politics always prevails as to who is already selected, even before strapping on a boot, but wow, to me this does not give all boys an equal opportunity to press for selection, and is way too early in the season.

This has been the process in recent years but can anyone explain why?

Keen for other peoples views!

By the way, we all enjoy defeating the other foe in these match-ups, but I would still much rather win my association!

Hi WLF. Yes the CAS sides are selected after the 2nd match of the CAS season which is June 5th. I agree with you that it is not ideal as some key match ups will yet to be played. That said the school sports masters get dictated by calendars which are pretty hard to juggle. It is why the trial games are important and most kids know this. What is even worse is the pathway to Gen Blue selection is very opaque, with some players probably already tapped on the shoulder to indicate subject to fitness/injury that they are in. Its why the traditional Aust Schools champs at Riverview has no relevance now as you can be in the Gen Blue side without participating in that tournament.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)

I just happened to see that the annual Rep game between these two associations is June 10, so not far off!

I know this happens every year, but in the good old days, it happened after the last comp game was played, I assume many can remember this occurence!

So whilst players have had a number of games under their belt, eg the cross association games etc, you wouldn't imagine selectors having been at many/any of these games, or necessarily the best games to be at, which makes me think these Rep teams are chosen way too early. I know politics always prevails as to who is already selected, even before strapping on a boot, but wow, to me this does not give all boys an equal opportunity to press for selection, and is way too early in the season.

By the way, we all enjoy defeating the other foe in these match-ups, but I would still much rather win my association!

Agree, WLF, but I think this is a consequence of the four-term school year and the need to play the Schools championship in the mid-year break. I doubt it can be changed. Nor does there seem to be a great will to change it: I agree with Rod's observation that the championships have now been devalued to an unfortunate extent.

I also think your last point is right. I remember a few years back, there was an Associated Schools side that needed (for the balance of the team) a player to play in a particular position. He argued that playing in another position would improve his chances of CAS selection. His coach told him: "Maybe. But no-one remembers who plays CAS. Everyone remembers who wins premierships."

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Agree, WLF, but I think this is a consequence of the four-term school year and the need to play the Schools championship in the mid-year break. I doubt it can be changed. Nor does there seem to be a great will to change it: I agree with Rod's observation that the championships have now been devalued to an unfortunate extent.

I also think your last point is right. I remember a few years back, there was an Associated Schools side that needed (for the balance of the team) a player to play in a particular position. He argued that playing in another position would improve his chances of CAS selection. His coach told him: "Maybe. But no-one remembers who plays CAS. Everyone remembers who wins premierships."

Snort and Rod, everything you have both said is spot on, much of which I did know, but i think we all agree Rep stuff is what it is. Typically most of a rep side is right but it's tough for a bolter, or someone who has been injured, who is over looked, even though he is probably better than a well connected player, and that is NOT, the fault of the player.

The comp IS what is really remembered!

Love2Scrum

Alfred Walker (16)

Totally agree with your comments WLF. As Rod Skillet mentioned, the Head Masters from the different school associations are bound by their yearly sporting calendars. I suppose not all people are rugby crazy like many of us on this forum. If it was up us the boys would be playing rugby all year round.

With the representative season in a month’s time I will say the selectors have hard task at hand especially in the CAS competition.

Having watched Barker, Knox and Waverley this year I’d have to say majority of the CAS 1st XV team will be made up players from these schools. All three schools mentioned have big, strong, mobile and skilful forwards who provide clean and clear ball for backs to weave their magic.

Somehow I can’t see the GPS 1st XV team matching the CAS team in size in the forwards which might be a difference however they should match them everywhere else on the park.

Cheers
Love2Scrum

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Totally agree with your comments WLF. As Rod Skillet mentioned, the Head Masters from the different school associations are bound by their yearly sporting calendars. I suppose not all people are rugby crazy like many of us on this forum. If it was up us the boys would be playing rugby all year round.

With the representative season in a month’s time I will say the selectors have hard task at hand especially in the CAS competition.

Having watched Barker, Knox and Waverley this year I’d have to say majority of the CAS 1st XV team will be made up players from these schools. All three schools mentioned have big, strong, mobile and skilful forwards who provide clean and clear ball for backs to weave their magic.

Somehow I can’t see the GPS 1st XV team matching the CAS team in size in the forwards which might be a difference however they should match them everywhere else on the park.

Cheers
Love2Scrum

You are a gentleman L2S,

What I luv is your GPS passion, truth being that all these boys. from both associations, are very good players, have probably minimal team cohesion, so who knows in a Rep side!
I admire that you have watched a number of games that involved our CAS schools, I can only assume you are a proud Shoreman!

If you really want the low down on who is the best team and the best players in the CAS, best to talk to Rod Skellet and Snort who have seen their own teams v numerous other schools, many times.

Love2Scrum

Alfred Walker (16)
You are a gentleman L2S,

What I luv is your GPS passion, truth being that all these boys. from both associations, are very good players, have probably minimal team cohesion, so who knows in a Rep side!
I admire that you have watched a number of games that involved our CAS schools, I can only assume you are a proud Shoreman!

If you really want the low down on who is the best team and the best players in the CAS, best to talk to Rod Skellet and Snort who have seen their own teams v numerous other schools, many times.

Thanks for your kind words WLF.

I May be hard but I’ll give credit where it’s due. For those of you who have read my comments this far, please note that I’m only making my comments on the games I’ve watched so far. For players ie students who read this forum please don’t let my comments or others let you down. Train hard, play hard and continue to believe in yourself and never give up.

WLF, Skillet, Snort & Yourself always give this forum a neutral and honest opinions (Some May Disagree) Keep it up guys.

Cheers
Love2scrum

axel

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Knox 1st XV v Newington tomorrow.
Lachie Scott
Noah Smith
Jack Black
Miles Ball
Tobey Row
Ned Ericsson
Charlie Herdman
Will Feather
Tom Goddard
Tom Morrison
Will Constable
Jarrah McLeod
Archie Saunders
Peter Poulos
Luke Tucker

bring back rucking

Fred Wood (13)
Is it fair to say that the return of the injured Bray at hooker would be the only change to that side axel? He came to my sons game on crutches a couple of weeks ago.... how long is he expected to be out? Terrific player

Gilbert93

Frank Row (1)
With the recent talk about the CAS and GPS Rep game, interested to hear what people think would be the starting lineups, or at least the MUST inclusions?
Snort, Rod and WLF normally have some great contributions around this space.

I also tend to agree the games are too soon in the season, however, it always makes for interesting games after this Rep season, sometimes it can be the great equaliser with sore or injured bodies coming back to their school systems?

Notably Barker vs Waverley will compete as the first CAS round back after these games, and injuries vs fresh bodies could very well decide the fixture.

Another interesting question - Will the GPS team include Suaalli ? He has played at least one game for Kings this season.

axel

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Is it fair to say that the return of the injured Bray at hooker would be the only change to that side axel? He came to my sons game on crutches a couple of weeks ago.. how long is he expected to be out? Terrific player

Hi bbr, yep, thats the only change I'd expect. Not sure how much longer he'll be out, a few weeks I think.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Eli Segala should make his comeback for the Barker 1st XV at 13 this weekend having played in last years final game against Knox. Galloway will shift to the wing from the centres. Lachlan Hooper is still out which is not good given he is a class lineout exponent. Should be a cracking game at View on Saturday.

Lovetap

Peter Burge (5)
With the recent talk about the CAS and GPS Rep game, interested to hear what people think would be the starting lineups, or at least the MUST inclusions?
Snort, Rod and WLF normally have some great contributions around this space.

I also tend to agree the games are too soon in the season, however, it always makes for interesting games after this Rep season, sometimes it can be the great equaliser with sore or injured bodies coming back to their school systems?

Notably Barker vs Waverley will compete as the first CAS round back after these games, and injuries vs fresh bodies could very well decide the fixture.

Another interesting question - Will the GPS team include Suaalli ? He has played at least one game for Kings this season.

CAS rep team you would probably start with the 2020 merit team and fill the spaces of the year 12 boys that have moved on.
would the Barker and Waverley 10’s NRL contracts impede their possible selections ?
On another note I hear Waverley had an opposed session against Randwick 1st colts with good results.

SkyBlue

Banned
CAS rep team you would probably start with the 2020 merit team and fill the spaces of the year 12 boys that have moved on.
would the Barker and Waverley 10’s NRL contracts impede their possible selections ?
On another note I hear Waverley had an opposed session against Randwick 1st colts with good results.

Katoa is not on an NRL contract. He even quit SG Ball for Penrith in order to fully commit to union. Like I previously stated in the GPS forum, all reports say that union is his first choice. So the answer to your question is Katoa will be eligible for selection, and will be in that CAS 1st XV.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
As an outsider coming in I think you're basing way to much on the Trinity v Oakhill game for your form guide Snort.
The Oakhill team we have ( homegrown by the way) played the absolute worst game that day. The next week against Knox and last week against Joey's the best they have. 2 days a week training but Sunday toughened against hard club rugby teams for most of them since under 10's.
Joey's are perfection in their backline moves which I've seen the same one's since yr7. hard to defend but 5 days a week training them for 5 years makes it bloody hard to defend. You can unsettle it but not stop it every time.
Knox got out to the lead then got caught up in a game of footy and went away from systems ( a few big tackles will make that happen) Jack Black by the way is a very talented prop and an even more impressive young man.
Waverley this weekend should be a beauty. This cohort of Oakhill Oakhill boys are better suited to a physical game than a clinical game and won't leave anything out there.
As I see it Barker will kill CAS and that again is based on the boys they have and that I have seen over the years. Katoa easily the best 5/8 who can run, kick, hit the winger from 4 players in (saw him do that when he was 12!!) and rarely misses a shot at goal. Forwards are dominant ( second rower that came from Stannies is brilliant, Aniti in the front row has all the skill in the world and is now fit, the rest of the front row are very good and sam in the seconds is the equivalent of all of them if required.)
Only Waves next to put the last piece in the puzzle of what I have seen so far but that's the way I see it so far.
Katoa will be the reason Barker end up with the prize in your comp this year.
Good luck fellas and first round of ISA is Augies v Oakhill. These cross code games are bloody hard but at the end of the day it looks like a good thing for everyone to have a crack.

Hi HS,

Tomorrows game v the Waverley side looks like a very close affair, the game against Trinity clearly looks like a 1 off, teams can have a bad day and I believe Oakhill was way under strength when they played Barker!
Is Oakhill at full strength tomorrow? Hope so, then at home, they should probably be favs.

Fair to say that Barker will kill CAS, as you are clearly well versed with the boys in the Barker team, especially Katoa.
Other than Barker and Knox, who Oakhill have played, are you as well versed about the other CAS teams?

Love2Scrum

Alfred Walker (16)
Katoa is not on an NRL contract. He even quit SG Ball for Penrith in order to fully commit to union. Like I previously stated in the GPS forum, all reports say that union is his first choice. So the answer to your question is Katoa will be eligible for selection, and will be in that CAS 1st XV.

Goosie,

Katoa was part of the U17 Penrith Harold Mathews Squad.

He did not quit Penrith to fully commit to Union. His Parents are all for education as well as sports and that’s the reason why he joined Barker College and good luck to the kid and the school.

I can only hope that Katoa is committed to the world in Union and I hope Rugby Australia are watching this kid because he sure does have talent.

Cheers
Love2scrum

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
I can only hope that Katoa is committed to the world in Union and I hope Rugby Australia are watching this kid because he sure does have talent.

Well, maybe. No doubt the kid has talent. But he's in Year 11. Let him prove a few things before we start getting Rugby Australia involved. I'm sure he'll be part of the pathways, and then it's up to him. But I'm not a huge fan of hyping the future of 17 year-olds.

Around the time of the fuss over Sua'ali'i, there was an interesting study of exactly how well the 17 year old NRL players had fared. Let's just say that for every Brad Fittler, there were a dozen players who had peaked at 17-18 and then declined rapidly. The last 17 year old who was hyped to this extent (Donaldson) is still in the process of trying to learn what it's like to win a Super Rugby match. These things take time. It's not in anyone's interests, especially the boy's, to lose perspective.