• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW CAS Rugby 2021

Lovetap

Peter Burge (5)
I just seen the highlights of Kings v Waverley and wow. Everything I have been reading and hearing about the Waverley forwards seems to be true. From 1 through to 8 are very skilful ball players big , hard and fast on both sides of the ball. I believe 5 of the 8 are returnees from 2020. Outside backs looking like they are coming together nicely more time spent together on the field will pay off.
Kings looked to be a good side also but didn’t get the bounce of the ball go their way against a well drilled Waverley outfit.

The Metre Eater

Ward Prentice (10)
I can confirm the act you speak of, having seen the video replay, was definitely a low dog act and should be severely punished. No room in the game for that sort of cheap shot.

Is anyone able to send me a link to this video? I'm keen to make my own judgement on it.

TME

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
I know, I know, they're only trials. But try telling that to the boys playing them. For those boys, they're 1st XV appearances, and every one is valuable. The custom at Trinity used to be that you were awarded your 1st XV scarf after five games in the Firsts: well, Trinity is now five games into its season, which means that (if that's still the rule), there will now be boys who are entitled to wear the scarf for the first time. This stuff matters (and try telling Barker it doesn't matter beating Joeys).

Anyway, the big one this week is Barker and Riverview. Given that Knox knocked off Riverview last week, and Barker looks a better side than Knox, you'd expect a Barker win here. The trials are a handy measure of how the CAS schools are tracking against their GPS counterparts, and so far there's a healthy trend in favour of the Associated Schools. Mind you, apart from its (effectively) opposed training session against Cranbrook, Scots hasn't tested itself against any Associated School and by default seems to be emerging as favourite in this year's GPS. Still: Barker to knock off Riverview.

Waverley should account for Oakhill comfortably. Oakhill is a tough, competitive side who will put in a massive effort, but Waverley has too much polish to be bustled out of a game. WLF, take the earmuffs to this one - there's one Oakhill mother who starts screaming at kick-off and does not let up.

Cranbrook will get a morale-boosting win over St Pius. St Aloysius against St Gregory's is a good match-up, but St Aloysius should edge it. Trinity and Shore is also a good match-up, and this one is a coin-toss for me. Assuming Shore turns up, of course.

What have we learned from the trials so far? Well, I can't split Barker and Waverley, and it's hard to avoid the conclusion that the winner of the Round Three match at Hornsby will win the whole thing. Knox, Trinity and Cranbrook all have the ability to spring an upset, but not the strength in depth to win the Plume Shield. And the CAS team will be rather a good one.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
I know, I know, they're only trials. But try telling that to the boys playing them. For those boys, they're 1st XV appearances, and every one is valuable. The custom at Trinity used to be that you were awarded your 1st XV scarf after five games in the Firsts: well, Trinity is now five games into its season, which means that (if that's still the rule), there will now be boys who are entitled to wear the scarf for the first time. This stuff matters (and try telling Barker it doesn't matter beating Joeys).

Anyway, the big one this week is Barker and Riverview. Given that Knox knocked off Riverview last week, and Barker looks a better side than Knox, you'd expect a Barker win here. The trials are a handy measure of how the CAS schools are tracking against their GPS counterparts, and so far there's a healthy trend in favour of the Associated Schools. Mind you, apart from its (effectively) opposed training session against Cranbrook, Scots hasn't tested itself against any Associated School and by default seems to be emerging as favourite in this year's GPS. Still: Barker to knock off Riverview.

Waverley should account for Oakhill comfortably. Oakhill is a tough, competitive side who will put in a massive effort, but Waverley has too much polish to be bustled out of a game. WLF, take the earmuffs to this one - there's one Oakhill mother who starts screaming at kick-off and does not let up.

Cranbrook will get a morale-boosting win over St Pius. St Aloysius against St Gregory's is a good match-up, but St Aloysius should edge it. Trinity and Shore is also a good match-up, and this one is a coin-toss for me. Assuming Shore turns up, of course.

What have we learned from the trials so far? Well, I can't split Barker and Waverley, and it's hard to avoid the conclusion that the winner of the Round Three match at Hornsby will win the whole thing. Knox, Trinity and Cranbrook all have the ability to spring an upset, but not the strength in depth to win the Plume Shield. And the CAS team will be rather a good one.

Snort, thanks for the ear muff tip, but as AXEL well knows we have our own banshee who can be the match of anyone.
Axel will laugh at this one and if we are lucky, may even add comment!
Either way I hope they are near each other, so I can go in the other direction.
What's funny though is that the boys can't hear any of it, wouldn't follow any of the words of "advice" and nor does any of it make any sense, a world of it's own.

Otherwise on a more important note, your predictions sound pretty logical.
Assuming Jack Bowen is back for View, it will be interesting to see match up with the new Barker 10.
And NO injuries thanks to any side!

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
Snort, thanks for the ear muff tip, but as AXEL well knows we have our own banshee who can be the match of anyone.
What's funny though is that the boys can't hear any of it, wouldn't follow any of the words of "advice" and nor does any of it make any sense, a world of it's own.

Otherwise on a more important note, your predictions sound pretty logical.
Assuming Jack Bowen is back for View, it will be interesting to see match up with the new Barker 10.
And NO injuries thanks to any side!

I'll jump in before Axel and agree with you 100% WLF. Been sitting in front of the "banshee" at Death Valley before, wondering if I will ever regain the use of my ears. Perhaps if they were near each other they might cancel each other out - you know every action has an equal and opposite reaction etc etc.....

Walshy81

Sydney Middleton (9)

Well said Snort.

However, Brook is at Dangar to St Patrick’s, not Pius. I hope that doesn’t change you tip...(?)

The Trinity 1st XV scarf presented on 5 games - that’s different, I like it.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Well said Snort.

However, Brook is at Dangar to St Patrick’s, not Pius. I hope that doesn’t change you tip.(?)

The Trinity 1st XV scarf presented on 5 games - that’s different, I like it.

Oops. No, that changes the margin, but not the result.

I can't say what the Trinity scarf criteria are now, but for many years five games was the benchmark (and may still be). I believe that when substitutes were allowed for reasons other than injury, an appearance as substitute counted as half a game, so if you came on as sub ten times you earned a scarf. The scarf is a distinct award from colours, which were harder to earn.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)

I played at Sydney University when Dave Brockhoff was still patrolling the sidelines. Now Brock was a man you could hear when you were on the field. Not that his advice was all that easy to follow. He was big on body height, and used to yell things like, "Forwards! 14 inches lower in the rucks!" 14 inches?

My favourite Brockism came in a game when we had a defensive lineout inside our own quarter, which we managed to win. Our five-eighth spotted a gap and decided to run. Twenty seconds later our backs had gone the length of the field and scored a great team try. Now this was a problem for Brock, who hated backs (especially backs who didn't kick) and hated running the ball from your own goal line. But he had to say something. So he yelled out the most appropriate praise he could muster: "Fantastic lineout, forwards!"

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)

Riverview is a bogey team for Barker. The Reds always struggle against them. I hope the pundits are right and Barker win, but playing at View is a tough ask and given View are the favourites this year i won't hold my breath. Agree with WLF that the battle of the 10s will be very interesting. What year is Bowen in? Katoa is Y11.

Big Papi

Herbert Moran (7)
Riverview is a bogey team for Barker. The Reds always struggle against them. I hope the pundits are right and Barker win, but playing at View is a tough ask and given View are the favourites this year i won't hold my breath. Agree with WLF that the battle of the 10s will be very interesting. What year is Bowen in? Katoa is Y11.

rod, it's BP

Bowen is in Y12 and I'm not too sure that view are favourites, from looking at the GPS forums it looks like most are backing scots or joeys this year. But I'm glad that some people are backing the wolves.

BP

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
I'll jump in before Axel and agree with you 100% WLF. Been sitting in front of the "banshee" at Death Valley before, wondering if I will ever regain the use of my ears. Perhaps if they were near each other they might cancel each other out - you know every action has an equal and opposite reaction etc etc...

Yep WTF, there's no denying it exists, but be happy, you only cop it once in a season!

WLF

Arch Winning (36)

Bowen year 12.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)

It should be tight. If Bowen's back, that strengthens Riverview, no doubt. Interesting, by the bye, that Bowen is at Riverview - his dad of course was at Newington. There must be a left-footer somewhere in the family.

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)

Great commentary this year Snort. Keeps us all interested and updated without having to read all the comments on the thread.

This age group has always been the Knox/Waverley match up. So imagine round 1 will be key to who takes home the chocolates. Recognising that Barker have thrown everything, including the kitchen sink, at a chance to win this year as well.

axel

Jimmy Flynn (14)
panic not boys...i've been to lunch and i'm ready. Yes, i remember the screaming banshee from Randwick all too well...........she always managed ti ruin a good game of rugby. I honestly think Barker will put 30-40 on View this weekend. Their forwards seem to be the issue this year. Happy to be wrong however.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
panic not boys.i've been to lunch and i'm ready. Yes, i remember the screaming banshee from Randwick all too well.....she always managed ti ruin a good game of rugby. I honestly think Barker will put 30-40 on View this weekend. Their forwards seem to be the issue this year. Happy to be wrong however.

Stop talking us up Axel.....3 way tie is looking pretty good for CAS this year.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
This age group has always been the Knox/Waverley match up. So imagine round 1 will be key to who takes home the chocolates. Recognising that Barker have thrown everything, including the kitchen sink, at a chance to win this year as well.

Maybe, maybe. Look, I don't want to write anyone off, and Knox showed by beating Riverview that they're a handy side. But that loss to Oakhill suggests to me that they're a step or two behind Barker and Waverley.

I don't deny that Knox were strong coming through in this age group, but that means less than it used to. If you look back at the CAS Under-16 side two years ago, Waverley had 11 of the 25 representatives, which accurately reflected its position in that competition. Waverley beat Knox 38-14, incidentally. Barker had six, Knox four, Trinity three and St Aloysius one. I accept that this is an imperfect proxy for the strength of the age group, but on that basis you'd expect Waverley to boss it over everyone with Barker and Knox fighting over the scraps.

But, as we know, teams change a lot these days with newcomers into Year 11, and of course some schools with weaker age groups promote younger players over them into the Firsts (a few years back, for example, almost all of Cranbrook's 1st XV were in Year 11). The fact is, Barker has gone from having a really good core of players (those six CAS reps included Slack-Smith and Sangala) to being on par with Waverley. That said, I don't think it's out of the question that Knox could beat them.