• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW CAS Rugby 2021

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Rod, you've known me a loooooong time...i only speak the truth. Barker have to be favourites this year, with Waves just behind them.

That is true. Seems a long time ago we were working at the Greengate. Looking forward to Gala day this year. It will be a cracker.

Hankspank

Larry Dwyer (12)
Maybe, maybe. Look, I don't want to write anyone off, and Knox showed by beating Riverview that they're a handy side. But that loss to Oakhill suggests to me that they're a step or two behind Barker and Waverley.

I don't deny that Knox were strong coming through in this age group, but that means less than it used to. If you look back at the CAS Under-16 side two years ago, Waverley had 11 of the 25 representatives, which accurately reflected its position in that competition. Waverley beat Knox 38-14, incidentally. Barker had six, Knox four, Trinity three and St Aloysius one. I accept that this is an imperfect proxy for the strength of the age group, but on that basis you'd expect Waverley to boss it over everyone with Barker and Knox fighting over the scraps.

But, as we know, teams change a lot these days with newcomers into Year 11, and of course some schools with weaker age groups promote younger players over them into the Firsts (a few years back, for example, almost all of Cranbrook's 1st XV were in Year 11). The fact is, Barker has gone from having a really good core of players (those six CAS reps included Slack-Smith and Sangala) to being on par with Waverley. That said, I don't think it's out of the question that Knox could beat them.

As an outsider coming in I think you're basing way to much on the Trinity v Oakhill game for your form guide Snort.
The Oakhill team we have ( homegrown by the way) played the absolute worst game that day. The next week against Knox and last week against Joey's the best they have. 2 days a week training but Sunday toughened against hard club rugby teams for most of them since under 10's.
Joey's are perfection in their backline moves which I've seen the same one's since yr7. hard to defend but 5 days a week training them for 5 years makes it bloody hard to defend. You can unsettle it but not stop it every time.
Knox got out to the lead then got caught up in a game of footy and went away from systems ( a few big tackles will make that happen) Jack Black by the way is a very talented prop and an even more impressive young man.
Waverley this weekend should be a beauty. This cohort of Oakhill Oakhill boys are better suited to a physical game than a clinical game and won't leave anything out there.
As I see it Barker will kill CAS and that again is based on the boys they have and that I have seen over the years. Katoa easily the best 5/8 who can run, kick, hit the winger from 4 players in (saw him do that when he was 12!!) and rarely misses a shot at goal. Forwards are dominant ( second rower that came from Stannies is brilliant, Aniti in the front row has all the skill in the world and is now fit, the rest of the front row are very good and sam in the seconds is the equivalent of all of them if required.)
Only Waves next to put the last piece in the puzzle of what I have seen so far but that's the way I see it so far.
Katoa will be the reason Barker end up with the prize in your comp this year.
Good luck fellas and first round of ISA is Augies v Oakhill. These cross code games are bloody hard but at the end of the day it looks like a good thing for everyone to have a crack.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
As an outsider coming in I think you're basing way to much on the Trinity v Oakhill game for your form guide Snort.
The Oakhill team we have ( homegrown by the way) played the absolute worst game that day. The next week against Knox and last week against Joey's the best they have. 2 days a week training but Sunday toughened against hard club rugby teams for most of them since under 10's.
This cohort of Oakhill Oakhill boys are better suited to a physical game than a clinical game and won't leave anything out there.

You may be right. It's hard to judge a team when you've only seen them play one full game (and odds and ends on video). I certainly agree that Oakhill is a physical and committed team.

But your post also includes the reasons why I think Waverley will win on Saturday. If you have two teams that are more or less evenly matched physically (and Waverley is at least as physical as Oakhill), then you expect the team with the higher skill level to prevail, and on trial form so far, Waverley's skill level is a notch above Oakhill. That said, anything can happen on a Rugby field, and I'm sure this Oakhill side will give Waverley a tough day at the office.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
Rod. Dumb question. Is Barker allowing spectators not associated with current players at the matches or is it two spectators per player do you know. I am keen to watch the play on the 17th July. It has occurred to me I may not be permitted.

Flavio

Ward Prentice (10)
Rod. Dumb question. Is Barker allowing spectators not associated with current players at the matches or is it two spectators per player do you know. I am keen to watch the play on the 17th July. It has occurred to me I may not be permitted.

No restrictions just the usual Service NSW login, which is good because it makes you log out from the pub from the night before

Hankspank

Larry Dwyer (12)
You may be right. It's hard to judge a team when you've only seen them play one full game (and odds and ends on video). I certainly agree that Oakhill is a physical and committed team.

But your post also includes the reasons why I think Waverley will win on Saturday. If you have two teams that are more or less evenly matched physically (and Waverley is at least as physical as Oakhill), then you expect the team with the higher skill level to prevail, and on trial form so far, Waverley's skill level is a notch above Oakhill. That said, anything can happen on a Rugby field, and I'm sure this Oakhill side will give Waverley a tough day at the office.

Couldn't agree with you more mate. Wasn't pumping up the boys tyre's. Should be a good game

Running_rugby_1954

Dave Cowper (27)
Recognising that Barker have thrown everything, including the kitchen sink, at a chance to win this year as well.

The kitchen sink, the living room, the bathroom and a few extra rooms in the boarding house! It would be almost a bit embarrassing if they didn’t win considering the lengths they have gone to. Here’s hoping Knox, Waverley, or another CAS team can cause an upset.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Maybe, maybe. Look, I don't want to write anyone off, and Knox showed by beating Riverview that they're a handy side. But that loss to Oakhill suggests to me that they're a step or two behind Barker and Waverley.

I don't deny that Knox were strong coming through in this age group, but that means less than it used to. If you look back at the CAS Under-16 side two years ago, Waverley had 11 of the 25 representatives, which accurately reflected its position in that competition. Waverley beat Knox 38-14, incidentally. Barker had six, Knox four, Trinity three and St Aloysius one. I accept that this is an imperfect proxy for the strength of the age group, but on that basis you'd expect Waverley to boss it over everyone with Barker and Knox fighting over the scraps.

But, as we know, teams change a lot these days with newcomers into Year 11, and of course some schools with weaker age groups promote younger players over them into the Firsts (a few years back, for example, almost all of Cranbrook's 1st XV were in Year 11). The fact is, Barker has gone from having a really good core of players (those six CAS reps included Slack-Smith and Sangala) to being on par with Waverley. That said, I don't think it's out of the question that Knox could beat them.

Snort, you never fail to convince me of your logical prowess for things past and future.
Having recently read a number of viewpoints 1 thing, other than your overview, strikes me as obvious.

A number of well informed people are yet to be convinced that this CAS comp is clearly decided.
History may be just that, but sometimes for VERY good reasons.
I suspect this weekends results may also prove little as we approach the 1st round of CAS comp next weekend.

bring back rucking

Fred Wood (13)
Agree Wlf. But a very strong CAS side is brewing. Given the barker 10 sounds to be the real deal I assume that Morrison from
Knox will be squeezed to 15 even though the current knox 15 (Tucker) is more than capable... some interesting selection debates to be had. I would imagine that barker and waves make up the bulk of the side but bray, black, Morrison and McLeod would be my certainties from knox with Goddard, saunders and tucker more than capable at that level. I haven’t seen barker or waves yet so they may be stronger in the those positions (9,13,15). This CAS side feels similar to 2017

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Agree Wlf. But a very strong CAS side is brewing. Given the barker 10 sounds to be the real deal I assume that Morrison from
Knox will be squeezed to 15 even though the current knox 15 (Tucker) is more than capable. some interesting selection debates to be had. I would imagine that barker and waves make up the bulk of the side but bray, black, Morrison and McLeod would be my certainties from knox with Goddard, saunders and tucker more than capable at that level. I haven’t seen barker or waves yet so they may be stronger in the those positions (9,13,15). This CAS side feels similar to 2017

BBR, It's obviously not possible at the moment to pick a CAS side but 1 thing is for sure, the forward pack will be enormous and very powerful.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
So I assume by now most schools have a pretty good idea what their best XV is. Any team news for Saturday?

Hector

Frank Nicholson (4)
So I assume by now most schools have a pretty good idea what their best XV is. Any team news for Saturday?

Aloysius at home vs St Gregs is listed as:
1. Leo Maher
2. Edward Sisson
3. Austin Clarke (C)
4. Ned McDonagh
5. Mac Stephen
6. Charlie Bruton
7. Tom Mathias
8. Harry Hill
9. Hugh Albert
10. Francis Dunkin
11. Aidan Thomas
12. Charlie Bruton
13. Tom Wood
14. Bailey Hughes
15. Manus Bailey

Bruton is a good player, and has played both 12 and 6, but unlikely to cover two spots on Saturday (!) so someone must be coming in at 6 like Joey Fallon and this is a typo on the school listings.

Aloys scrappy and a bit ill disciplined against Stannies last week (and a bit of that from the opposition too). They'll need to fix that based on the report from St Gregs' last hit out. Defence greatly improved, but the attack needs to fire. 13 is a class player (15 not far away from that category as well) so plenty of involvement from them would help to get the attack more fluent and on the front foot.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
To all GPS and CAS supporters,

I just happened to see that the annual Rep game between these two associations is June 10, so not far off!
That means the CAS will have had 2 comp rounds and the GPS 1 comp round.

I know this happens every year, but in the good old days, it happened after the last comp game was played, I assume many can remember this occurence!

So whilst players have had a number of games under their belt, eg the cross association games etc, you wouldn't imagine selectors having been at many/any of these games, or necessarily the best games to be at, which makes me think these Rep teams are chosen way too early. I know politics always prevails as to who is already selected, even before strapping on a boot, but wow, to me this does not give all boys an equal opportunity to press for selection, and is way too early in the season.

This has been the process in recent years but can anyone explain why?

Keen for other peoples views!

By the way, we all enjoy defeating the other foe in these match-ups, but I would still much rather win my association!