• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW CAS Rugby 2021

Flavio

Ward Prentice (10)
Respect to Alos for giving it a go and smart move to call time as they were running out of reserves. However poor form to note the year of commencement of the Alos team in the program, if they have an issue its not really the place to raise it.

Then on the final page of the program they talk about their Bursary program which they state is not to win trophies, premierships or boost ATAR's but seeing they require students to be assessed on academic potential doesn't add up. (Note I am an Aloys old boy and many in my year don't like the academic focus the school is heading in, as most of our diverse year would not qualify today)

20210605_172324_resized.jpg

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Haven't seen him play this year, but Schocher (W) must be in line for one of the CAS sides. He certainly knows where the tryline is.

FoleyBealeFolau

Ward Prentice (10)
Waverley 39-17 Cranbrook at Queens Park. The offloading game from the Waves forwards was what won it for them, bending/breaking the Cranbrook line, and freeing up space for the backs. Great play from Halatokoua with specific regard to this part of the game. Despite this, Flanagan was the clear standout on the field and ended up scoring two sublime tries. One chip and chase and another just taking a hit-up and nonchalantly breaking the line for a try. Also, the length on the passes from first receiver, frequently cutting out one or two players, punished Cranbrook's defensive spacing (focused on second/first reciever) and unlocked space which Waverley capitalised on.

On a side note, it was good to see a large contingent of Cranbrook boys at the game and making a bit of noise :) . What are your thoughts on that WLF;)?

Running_rugby_1954

Dave Cowper (27)
The well being of students is Barkers first priority. Barker has already lost McIntyre as a result of a genuine concussion ruling. They know the rules and play by them. This is also endorsed by all CAS headmasters. So lets not get into a uninformed discussion on this site about who is eligible to play. There is plenty of people who know better than us who make decisions. Lets focus on what goes on in the field of play. Looking forward to seeing what the CAS selectors decide tonight. It will be a cracking game at Knox next Thursday.

Yeah, nah.

Any player shown a blue card is not allowed to return to play for 19 days under ARU guidelines. Barker yet again flaunting the rules to suit themselves. CAS headmasters agree to that rule Skellet.

Hopefully the CAS convenor has been informed so he can step in and stop Barker from taking player welfare for granted. Absolutely disgraceful.

19 year olds playing in an under 18 comp.
Coaches communicating with microphones
Players given a blue card returning in 7 days.

It’s like there is a trend of poor behaviour that does not get called out.

Tame Brumby

Stan Wickham (3)
I don’t think the above is correct re a blue card. If a player gets a blue card then they can’t take any further part in that game. They then have to be assessed by a doctor. If a doctor diagnoses a concussion then the 19 day protocol starts. If no concussion is found then the player is free to return to training.

You would sincerely hope and assume that any player getting a blue card is assessed conservatively but fairly.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Yeah, nah.

Any player shown a blue card is not allowed to return to play for 19 days under ARU guidelines. Barker yet again flaunting the rules to suit themselves. CAS headmasters agree to that rule Skellet.

Hopefully the CAS convenor has been informed so he can step in and stop Barker from taking player welfare for granted. Absolutely disgraceful.

19 year olds playing in an under 18 comp.
Coaches communicating with microphones
Players given a blue card returning in 7 days.

It’s like there is a trend of poor behaviour that does not get called out.

And which headmaster have you spoken to directly that suggests Barker is flaunting the rules??? If you cannot put up. Shut Up.

As I said, Barker looks after player wellfair first and foremost. Until you RR19 put up written evidence to the contrary, Barker is playing within the rules. Players are assessed medically. If you are unfit you do not play.

Running_rugby_1954

Dave Cowper (27)
CONCUSSION CASE REVIEWS
In very rare occurrences it is possible that concussion or suspected concussion was incorrectly reported. This can be either from an alternative diagnosis or a reporting error. In such circumstances, the concussion case can be reviewed.
• Alternative diagnosis - if a player shows signs and symptoms of concussion and if the results of subsequent assessments (3 hours after injury and 36-48 hours after injury) the medical doctor making these assessments determines that the abnormal assessment is not related to a concussion, the following procedure MUST be followed;
o Doctor must identify and document an alternative diagnosis for the abnormal assessment(s).
o ThisdocumentationisprovidedtotheappropriateCompetitionManagerorMember Union.
o The Competition or Member Unions appointed Concussion consultant will then review and either uphold or overturn the concussion decision.
o Uponsatisfactionthatthereisnoevidencetosuggesttheplayerssignsandsymptoms were not associated with concussion the case is updated to ‘not confirmed’ and the player may return to contact training and match play.
• Reporting error
o The Match Official, Medical/First Aid Staff, Team Manager/Coach are contacted by
the Competition Manager to verify that the player did not show any signs or
symptoms of concussion.
o Uponsatisfactionthatthereisnoevidencetosuggesttheplayersufferedaconcussion
the case is updated to ‘not confirmed’ and the player may return to contact training and match play.
SANCTION(S)
This Rugby Australia Concussion Procedure is considered a Rugby Australia Safety Policy and/or Guideline for the purpose of Rugby Australia’s Code of Conduct. Intentional or reckless disregard for this may result in disciplinary action pursuant to Rugby Australia’s Code of Conduct.

Hopefully everyone reads that last line.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yeah, nah.

Any player shown a blue card is not allowed to return to play for 19 days under ARU guidelines.

But that's not quite what the guidelines say. They're not completely clear, I have to say, but as I read them, a player can be cleared of having concussion if he (or she) is cleared by an appropriate doctor not less than "two sleeps" after the impact. The 19 days only applies if a player is not cleared. So, here, I assume what happened is that the player was assessed on Monday or Tuesday and cleared. If that happened (and I have no direct knowledge of this), then there's no issue.

That procedure makes sense, I guess, because the referee (usually) isn't a doctor and can't diagnose concussion. He can only make a call on what he sees, and the precautionary measure of issuing a blue card is just that, and not a definitive diagnosis.

Running_rugby_1954

Dave Cowper (27)
And which headmaster have you spoken to directly that suggests Barker is flaunting the rules??? If you cannot put up. Shut Up.

As I said, Barker looks after player wellfair first and foremost. Until you RR19 put up written evidence to the contrary, Barker is playing within the rules. Players are assessed medically. If you are unfit you do not play.

Yeah nah rod. What a load of crap.

Everyone who was at the game and seen the tape knows that Ned was clearly concussed, he clearly stumbles- a sign of concussion. So hopefully they have followed the steps above. Will send through a complaint to rugby aus. They will be in contact.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
But that's not quite what the guidelines say. They're not completely clear, I have to say, but as I read them, a player can be cleared of having concussion if he (or she) is cleared by an appropriate doctor not less than "two sleeps" after the impact. The 19 days only applies if a player is not cleared. So, here, I assume what happened is that the player was assessed on Monday or Tuesday and cleared. If that happened (and I have no direct knowledge of this), then there's no issue.

That procedure makes sense, I guess, because the referee (usually) isn't a doctor and can't diagnose concussion. He can only make a call on what he sees, and the precautionary measure of issuing a blue card is just that, and not a definitive diagnosis.

Snort. You assumption on what happened did happened. Ned was assessed Saturday evening and on Monday. Cleared both times.

Bolivia

Herbert Moran (7)
Game over.
Waves 39 Cranbrook 17.

Well done Waves today. Too big and too strong. Brook fought hard all day, but went missing for 10-15 mins after Half time - and that's all Waverley needed. The rest of the game was fairly even.
As for the refereeing..........

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Respect to Alos for giving it a go and smart move to call time as they were running out of reserves. However poor form to note the year of commencement of the Alos team in the program, if they have an issue its not really the place to raise it.

Then on the final page of the program they talk about their Bursary program which they state is not to win trophies, premierships or boost ATAR's but seeing they require students to be assessed on academic potential doesn't add up. (Note I am an Aloys old boy and many in my year don't like the academic focus the school is heading in, as most of our diverse year would not qualify today)

View attachment 12360 .

thats actually quite funny. I am a Barker Old Boy and we're bemused at the clear decline of rugby in the junior age groups - the U14s my god.... watching your seconds get pumped but firsts winning is odd. ( i assume the barker seconds won this week tho).

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Yeah nah rod. What a load of crap.

Everyone who was at the game and seen the tape knows that Ned was clearly concussed, he clearly stumbles- a sign of concussion. So hopefully they have followed the steps above. Will send through a complaint to rugby aus. They will be in contact.

So you have not spoken to any headmasters, you have no idea on the true medical assessment of the player involved and you call Barker College as "flaunting the rules.. Looks like the rantings of the uneducated. No more oxygen for you. Credibility ZERO.

Running_rugby_1954

Dave Cowper (27)
So you have not spoken to any headmasters, you have no idea on the true medical assessment of the player involved and you call Barker College as "flaunting the rules.. Looks like the rantings of the uneducated. No more oxygen for you. Credibility ZERO.

Want me to post the tape of the kid stumbling over after he got his head caught badly in a tackle instead Rod?

Take off your red glasses for once mate. We know it’s hard when they are stuck on with super glue.

Bolivia

Herbert Moran (7)

You are ignoring the incident. He was barely able to get up and almost fell over.....he displayed obvious signs of being concussed. That is why he was blue carded.
I'm glad he is fine, and that it wasn't more serious, because it didn't look good!

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Want me to post the tape of the kid stumbling over after he got his head caught badly in a tackle instead Rod?

Take off your red glasses for once mate. We know it’s hard when they are stuck on with super glue.

You are all missing the point. What ever you saw on the field was not reflected in the expert medical opinion that this lad received on two occasions after the game. Its that medical opinion that counts. Not "how it looked on the field." Barker looks after their players, as is represented by the treatment of McIntyre. To suggest otherwise is completely wrong. To show how all headmasters are on the same page, in the interest of the Aloys boys who suffered several injuries, and may well of suffered more, todays game was finished early. It could have only been a player welfare issue that caused that. My view on player welfare is not coloured by glasses. Its influenced by facts. Most of the commentators here are short on facts. Mores the pity.

Running_rugby_1954

Dave Cowper (27)
^^^^^

That’s not how blue cards work Rod.

Rugby aus will be in contact mate. Let Dean know will you?

Looking after player welfare against aloys? Like they did last year?

Attachments

• 1609F9B6-C5AD-44BE-96F3-FFAD3D2FB833.jpeg
    1609F9B6-C5AD-44BE-96F3-FFAD3D2FB833.jpeg
    156.2 KB · Views: 252