• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW CAS Rugby 2021

Flavio

Ward Prentice (10)
Do you think if they had any concerns they would have played him today and risk anything happening seeing that there is 7 weeks (49 days) from the Cranbrook Game to the Waverly game. Its not as if they needed him today

Bolivia

Herbert Moran (7)
Do you think if they had any concerns they would have played him today and risk anything happening seeing that there is 7 weeks (49 days) from the Cranbrook Game to the Waverly game. Its not as if they needed him today

CAS 1stXV Captaincy perhaps.......

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Not sure why there's even a debate here. If it's the case that the player was passed by a doctor, there's no issue. That much is plan from the RA guidelines.

And I have no connection with Barker.

Hector

Frank Nicholson (4)
Alright, side-stepping some of the controversy, a small take on Barker winning at Willoughby.

(1) Barker from 1 to 15 (possibly with the exception of 13) were dominant and easily a class above. Their defence, their set piece, but probably most impressively their spacing in attack, was way too good for their opponents. Whenever counter-attack was on, Barker were sublime: spaced, accurate passing and full of speedy running.
(2) As Rod observed, the Red scrum was dominant. There weren't 5 tight-heads (if the ref didn't call some of them up there would have been 5 plus, but I had about 3 or 4). The Barker #3 is sensational, as probably is their whole front 5. If their whole front row is the CAS front row, I'll be behind them (note - I've only seen the Aloys games this year, so if the Knox and Waverley boys are better, they must be unbelievably good!).
(3) In open field, the Barker forwards were something else. The Barker #1 was the best player on the field, all day. He had multiple 30-40m runs in short succession. Not fair behind was #8, whatever the Blue Card scenario from last week happened or didn't, he was outstanding today.
(4) The Barker #10 was good, in fact very good, but even with all that front foot ball, he didn't dominate such that he was on another level, which some of us were expecting. In fact, I though the #9 probably changed the game more than Katoa.
(5) On a positive for the SAC boys, and for all the rubbish going on with some of the schoolboys posting their BS and sledging about CAS selection and doing them a disservice, #13 Wood for Aloys was easily their best, and not far behind was #12 Bruton. After Frankie the Aloys #10 went off in the first half, they each moved in one to result in a great tricky grubber kick try from Bruton to Wood, but Wood was absolutely all over the place all afternoon, and I think outplayed his opposite, the only one to come close to doing so in Blue and Gold. #12 Bruton had a bad ankle injury in the 2nd half as well. They had 4 reserves on before Barker had any.
(6) Rod said the game was called up early, and it might have been, but it wasn't readily observable. It was at 4.39pm when full time was called, and I only know that because I was noting the time for when Barker ran their reserves on. No changes until they subbed #1, #5 and #8 at 4.32pm when the score was already 68-8 (and I didn't see any other reserves coming on at any other stage).
(7) Lastly, that was an excellent SAC crowd at Tyneside, one of the largest turnouts for a home game in a long time. An indigenous jersey for the Aloys boys, a smoking ceremony by Elders beforehand, the indigenous Redfern Jarjum College little kids as well as the Aloys Yr 3 and 4 junior boys running out with the players through the tunnel to start the game and the big 'sorry' banner were all a class act.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Waverley 39-17 Cranbrook at Queens Park. The offloading game from the Waves forwards was what won it for them, bending/breaking the Cranbrook line, and freeing up space for the backs. Great play from Halatokoua with specific regard to this part of the game. Despite this, Flanagan was the clear standout on the field and ended up scoring two sublime tries. One chip and chase and another just taking a hit-up and nonchalantly breaking the line for a try. Also, the length on the passes from first receiver, frequently cutting out one or two players, punished Cranbrook's defensive spacing (focused on second/first reciever) and unlocked space which Waverley capitalised on.

On a side note, it was good to see a large contingent of Cranbrook boys at the game and making a bit of noise :) . What are your thoughts on that WLF;)?

RL and Bolivia,

Todays game, I thought, held no surprises. Cranbrook turned up as always in the local derby. A lot of feeling between these 2 teams, next time they meet will be in the pub or at a party!
Flanagan is just a talent, he has ability that can't be coached, and a great young man to boot.

I predict Cranbrook will win their last 3 games, lots of good players and plenty of ticker.
Waves tried hard but played as well as the opposition let them.

Can't see them beating Barker, Barker sounds just too skillful and a pack that will be too powerful.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
RL and Bolivia,

Todays game, I thought, held no surprises. Cranbrook turned up as always in the local derby. A lot of feeling between these 2 teams, next time they meet will be in the pub or at a party!
Flanagan is just a talent, he has ability that can't be coached, and a great young man to boot.

I predict Cranbrook will win their last 3 games, lots of good players and plenty of ticker.
Waves tried hard but played as well as the opposition let them.

Can't see them beating Barker, Barker sounds just too skillful and a pack that will be too powerful.

Too cute, WLF. Waverley will have - what? four? - of the CAS 1sts pack and Barker's forwards will be too powerful for them? Not buying that.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
GPS side is out. Bowen in 2nds. All joeys font row that was dismantled by Barker. Interesting selections. Odonnell out

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Too cute, WLF. Waverley will have - what? four? - of the CAS 1sts pack and Barker's forwards will be too powerful for them? Not buying that.

Snort, really... I'm not asking you to bite! If you were at QP today, what did you think?

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Same. You are foxing’ WLF. The game is gonna be sensational.

Yes Has, I would expect anyone who has any connection, or just interest, will be at this game.
Has been building for a LOOONNGGG time.
Crowd should be 1 of the biggest for many years.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Snort, really. I'm not asking you to bite! If you were at QP today, what did you think?

Sadly, no, I was at the Opera House dosing up on high culture. (Weird but true)

But I think the second row is the engine room. Dominate there and you win, and Waverley has the best two, plus one of the best three front rowers. And Waverley's offloading game is the best I've seen among the six schools.

Also, Waverley didn't leak 42 points to Cranbrook, as Barker did. I think the game will be tight, but I don't think Waverley will get blown off the park in the forwards.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Sadly, no, I was at the Opera House dosing up on high culture. (Weird but true)

But I think the second row is the engine room. Dominate there and you win, and Waverley has the best two, plus one of the best three front rowers. And Waverley's offloading game is the best I've seen among the six schools.

Also, Waverley didn't leak 42 points to Cranbrook, as Barker did. I think the game will be tight, but I don't think Waverley will get blown off the park in the forwards.

In my opinion, Waverley are still deserved favourites for the Shield. As Snort says their offloads are superb and their is no weak player in their side.