• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW CAS Rugby 2021

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Knox won 17-14. that’s not very encouraging

Joeys versus Knox Grammar will kick off at Bankwest Stadium at 5:20pm this coming Saturday as a curtain raiser to the NSW Waratahs match. Joeys have been in Tamworth this past week training and playing local colt teams. Country boys maybe slightly unskilled but God damn, they are big units. Joeys would be right at home.

Rugby Ref

Herbert Moran (7)
Knox won 17-14. that’s not very encouraging

The score appears close, but Knox were always in control. Full credit to the St. Pats lads, as they were mismatched - size-wise - and this was very noticeable when they lined up to shake hands before the kick off. Knox got off to a great start, breaking the first up tackles and making deep metres into Pats territory. The Knox #3 is a big, tall lad, and made lots of carrying metres. Knox were 17-0 at oranges, and even bombed a certain try right on 1/2 time with the last pass going wayward. It looked like a big score was going to blow out in the second half.

Knox coaches changed personnel - both at half-time and during the second half, and alot of the 2nds lads got a run - they performed well, and didn't look out of place in the top grade. What did change was the St.Pats defence. First up tackles were now being made, and possession was a real contest at the break down. The Pats backline looked skilful with good ball in the second half, and they have quick outside backs that used their side-stepping ability to get around their larger defenders. (that was great to watch! it reminded me of that welsh guy Shane Williams in his prime)

St.Pats scored 2 x tries in the second half from backline play, that was built on their forwards gaining parity in the loose.

However what was alarming to see were the scrums, especially in the second half - Knox way too powerful and strong, with Pats scrum back-pedalling with numerous collapses; it looked quite unsafe from the sidelines, and Pats lost a few forwards to injuries as a result. I believe more care is required when such a scrum mismatch occurs. I reckon its best to go uncontested, rather than see someone get seriously hurt from a mismatched scrum.

The best for Knox were the 3, 7 and 2 in the forwards, and the 9, 12, 13 and 15 in the backs.
The best for Pats were the 5, 7 and 8 in the forwards, and the 10, 12, 14 and 11 in the backs.

There were no cards in either the 1sts or 2nds matches, and the rugby was played in good spirits - both teams happily shook hands after both matches.

I am not sure how Joeys are progressing this year (though they will be their usual formidable selves), but Knox will definitely give them a game next week at Bankwest.

Hector

Frank Nicholson (4)
Anyone got any word on alos or trinity pre season games so far. this season haven't heard anything at all about either of the schools

Aloys hosted Pius for the first trial and went down 10-15. A lot of new players, only 3 returning from the 2020 First XV (including the tight head and skipper Clarke who leads to pack and Wood in the centres being on of the few SAC CAS reps last year). There's also a new coaching staff, with Greg Austin having moved to Knox after 10 years at Tyneside and Brendan McKibbon coming in to take over all rugby at Aloys. Looking to be a more competitive team than 2020, but will struggle to nab a game off any of the other CAS teams at this stage. The trials against Grammar, Stannies and Gregs will tell a bit.

Tame Brumby

Stan Wickham (3)
Thanks RR, good to read a balanced account of the game

It was a good day out for the Knox teams, they won all of the age group matches comfortably, which has not been the case in past years. I believe that two of the Pats outside backs, including the 13 had been called up from the U15s which is pretty impressive; real talent there.

bring back rucking

Fred Wood (13)
Knox v Joeys @bankwest will be a cracker... both schools sending big numbers of supporters.

Other than that I think Waves v Newington will be a good clash

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Barker plays Stannies on Saturday. Traditionally a tough clash with the country lads more than capable of upsetting the city slickers. That said I think the Reds will prevail at home.

informant

Frank Row (1)
Bit of an early CAS trial match up this week with Cranbrook Vs Trinity @ Trinity. Interesting to see where both teams lie early in the season. Personally I'll be down there, Look for an overweight fella in a beasties cap!

axel

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Knox team v Joeys at Bankwest tomorrow

1. Noah Smith 2. Romeo Bray 3. Jack Black 4. Miles Ball 5. Tobey Rowe 6. Ned Ericsson (yr10) 7. Charlie Herdman 8. Will Feather 9. Tom Goddard 10. Tom Morrison 11. Dylan Bouwer (yr11) 12. Jake Buchanan 13. Archie Saunders (yr 11) 14. Peter Poulos 15. Luke Tucker

Couple of glaring holes there for me, but good luck boys.......go hard.

bring back rucking

Fred Wood (13)
Im surprised not to see Reeve and McLeod in there. Axe, has Mcleod been injured? He has been talked about as a firsts player since year 9 so I assumed he would be there. Good luck to them all as there's never an easy game against joeys.... was hoping for 2 wins in row after that dominant display at HH in 2019.... But any holes will be exploited by joeys, they are always so good in the last 10mins of a game

axel

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Im surprised not to see Reeve and McLeod in there. Axe, has Mcleod been injured? He has been talked about as a firsts player since year 9 so I assumed he would be there. Good luck to them all as there's never an easy game against joeys.. was hoping for 2 wins in row after that dominant display at HH in 2019.. But any holes will be exploited by joeys, they are always so good in the last 10mins of a game

Yep, Jarrah coming back from injury. Playing in the 2nds, assume he will get some time tomorrow night in the 1's as well. Reeve in the 2nds, not to sure why? If the backs fire, they will be in with a chance. Need the big boppers to provide a nice strong platform.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Knox team v Joeys at Bankwest tomorrow

1. Noah Smith 2. Romeo Bray 3. Jack Black 4. Miles Ball 5. Tobey Rowe 6. Ned Ericsson (yr10) 7. Charlie Herdman 8. Will Feather 9. Tom Goddard 10. Tom Morrison 11. Dylan Bouwer (yr11) 12. Jake Buchanan 13. Archie Saunders (yr 11) 14. Peter Poulos 15. Luke Tucker

Couple of glaring holes there for me, but good luck boys...go hard.

Axe, do you know if it is being televised eg Cluch TV or elsewhere?

I am sure there are lots of people who would luv to see this game if they can't make it to the ground in time, given most schools 1sts games don't finish until 5pm?

axel

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Axe, do you know if it is being televised eg Cluch TV or elsewhere?

I am sure there are lots of people who would luv to see this game if they can't make it to the ground in time, given most schools 1sts games don't finish until 5pm?

Not as far as I know WLF. Nothing showing up on Cluch as yet, and no mention of streaming on any of the Knox updates. If i hear of anything I'll post it up here.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Not as far as I know WLF. Nothing showing up on Cluch as yet, and no mention of streaming on any of the Knox updates. If i hear of anything I'll post it up here.

Good man, it is a game that deserves air-time, like most schoolboy games.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
I think all CAS rugby followers are hoping for a solid display from Knox against Joeys. Great being the curtain raiser but I reckon the TV ratings would be better if you swapped the games around and had the Tahs as the curtain raiser to Knox/Joeys. As much as I want a Knox win, the fact that Joeys this year are fielding 14 teams in the opens makes me think the cerise and blue will win and probably comfortably so.