• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW CAS Rugby 2021

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Joeys have 41 rugby teams
But there are now 12 football teams.
How is the impact of football on CAS rugby? Are there more Football than Rugby?

Joker at Waverley, 22 Rugby teams and 27 soccer teams, and this school has a solid Rugby History and level of performance!

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)

Sure. But how often do all 41 teams play their counterparts in other schools? Twice? If that?

I remember one Cranbrook C team that spent literally half its season playing the Joeys' Es.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Snort, it's obvious to everyone that this is not an easy fix as there are many variables.

Firstly to answer a previous question, Newington has at least 6 13s teams, we played them last week.
Barker, and any school with just 2 or 3 in the 13s is a real concern, as often schools start with 5-6+ and then later in life the teams reduce a bit.

Maybe there should be a minimum number of teams, so that matching schools can co-ordinate their respective teams with some ease, but I am not sure what the right number is, eg Waverley currently has 23 teams, typically all of whom are quite competitive. So if the threshold of teams numbers was higher than 23, then Waves would be in a lower grade. Barker would probably be in the same boat.
I suspect the GPS schools, and maybe Knox would be in a higher grade, and yet Waves teams often defeat most grades in these schools, the exception would be joeys, but these games are often very close.

Another, but probably more difficult method, may be to have a promotion/relegation or tiered comp across each age group so that teams of similar ability are in the same grade. The complexities of which do appear to be much higher for each school though, and schools probably wouldn't entertain the thought, unless they organized a governing school body whose responsibility it was to run this program. (Think I'm dreaming here!)

Very quickly re scholarships, all/most schools have done it at some time, but an agreed and more structured common approach between the schools could be the year 10 cut off, unless there is a special circumstance like coming from Melbourne etc. It is NOT a good look, it is NOT fair on long term attendees, and it KILLS schoolboy rugby culture within a school and association. Finally, and this is what does my head in, if a school buys a premiership - then everyone says "well you should have won it" and if you import and don't win, the school looks stupid!

End Result = You can't win either way!!!!

Why don't they get it!

WLF, agree: it would be hard to get right.

But what we have now isn't right.

Flavio

Ward Prentice (10)
Barker seniors
4 AFL - 88 kids
33 Soccer - 429 kids
17 Rugby - 289 kids

35% play rugby

What is even more concerning is Junior School
2 AFL 34 kids
24 Soccer 264 kids
8 Rugby of which 4 are sevens teams, so Y6 1 xv, 2 7's Y5 2 xv's, Y4 1 xv, y3 2 7's 90 kids - 23% play rugby

As with club rugby if you don't have strong juniors they don't magically appear in the higher grades

bring back rucking

Fred Wood (13)
In the senior school knox has 26 rugby teams 33 soccer and 5 afl. By “number of players on field” maths there are more rugby players than soccer players.

ap1

Allen Oxlade (6)

Joker - What is the split in year 7?
I can understand that the school culture and drawing power of the 1st XV attracts kids to rugby as they move through the school years towards opens. Interested to know if or how Joeys manages to get the majority of year 7 kids playing rugby.
Presumably the reputation of the school means that many year 7's arrive either with a rugby background or knowing about the school's rugby program and hence want to play?

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Trinity is putting out 15 teams this Saturday: 4 in the opens. I would have expected the difference with Barker to be larger, but there it is.

They're up against Oakhill this Saturday, which will be a decent test of where they are.

Hankspank

Larry Dwyer (12)
Noticed that the conversation yesterdaay regarding Scholarships etc has now dissapeared from this thread. Is that common here when people are having a discussion?

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Noticed that the conversation yesterdaay regarding Scholarships etc has now dissapeared from this thread. Is that common here when people are having a discussion?

Ever so often the word that shall never be used is uttered by some frustrated soul and hence a debate ensures. This then dies down, (gets deleted on occasion) and we behave ourselves again. There is a THREAD in which you can vent to your hearts content.

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/school-sporting-scholarships-recruitment.5780/

I am unsure if you can post there anymore. I myself spent time in the sin-bin and I am still blocked. Have a read through and enjoy the insanity of those days.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Joker - What is the split in year 7?
I can understand that the school culture and drawing power of the 1st XV attracts kids to rugby as they move through the school years towards opens. Interested to know if or how Joeys manages to get the majority of year 7 kids playing rugby.
Presumably the reputation of the school means that many year 7's arrive either with a rugby background or knowing about the school's rugby program and hence want to play?

It is a combination of factors.

1. Tradition....that means everything to the place. If you want to play rugby you go to Joeys, if you want to compete in synchronized swimming you go (insert school name you think would have this sport)
2. Limits. Joeys places a cap on the number of football teams. If there are only numbers for three teams then there are three teams. The left overs who didn't make it go to Rugga. There are this year TWO Football teams and SEVEN rugby.
3. Safety. Joeys encourages kids to play rugby and it is safest in the Under 13's. If you want kids to play it, you play then. The smart thing really is that the kids then try it, like it and then come back again and again.

57jm0b.jpg

Iloverucks1

Stan Wickham (3)
Anyone have a predicted Knox 15? I'm sure we will see the return of stellar fullback Luke Tucker and flanker Charlie Herdman. I think Knox might surprise a few, but hard to go against a Waverley team that has never lost in this age group....

Hankspank

Larry Dwyer (12)
Ever so often the word that shall never be used is uttered by some frustrated soul and hence a debate ensures. This then dies down, (gets deleted on occasion) and we behave ourselves again. There is a THREAD in which you can vent to your hearts content.

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/school-sporting-scholarships-recruitment.5780/

I am unsure if you can post there anymore. I myself spent time in the sin-bin and I am still blocked. Have a read through and enjoy the insanity of those days.

Bit of a shame. The conversation yesterday was pretty much on point ( not a GPS parent but SJRU parent seeing these kids for the last 8 years) Anyway, onwards and upwards and upwards and let's see how we all go.

Flavio

Ward Prentice (10)
True, its like the elephant in the room and interesting to see the various views on the subject as well as the ability to counter disinformation

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Cranbrook Senior School
19 Rugby
22 Soccer
6 AFL

Bolivia, luv your flag colors, Cranbrook having 19 Rugby teams is great IMO, Waves have 22 and Knox and Barker not too dissimilar. Knowing your team quite well, I am tipping Cranbrook to beat Barker at Barker in Round 1 of the CAS comp.

axel

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Anyone have a predicted Knox 15? I'm sure we will see the return of stellar fullback Luke Tucker and flanker Charlie Herdman. I think Knox might surprise a few, but hard to go against a Waverley team that has never lost in this age group..

Knox team v Shore
1. Lachlan Scott
2. Romeo Bray
3. Jack Black
4. Miles Ball
5. Tobey Rowe
6. Ned Ericsson
7. Charlie Herdman
8. Will Feather
9. Tom Goddard
10. Tom Morrison
11. Will Constable