• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW CAS Rugby 2021

CAS Rugby 1010

Bob McCowan (2)
Aloys beat st pats and home today, apparently aloys dominated the whole game can anyone confirm. And maybe we have underestimated aloys a bit this year if this is true

The Colonel

Frank Row (1)
Aloys 11 St Pats 6. Physical game with the Aloys forwards stepping up. Try to #4 McDonagh who had strong game winning lineouts all day. Wood again Aloys best and was MOM.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
After watching Barker in the last 2 games here are a few observations. First is that they have no achilles heal. The entire starting XV is very competent. Of note though is the tight 5. They play as a unit. Dominant at scrum time and truly epic in defense. 2 players tackling together low and driving means slow ball for the opposition something Newington discovered today. In Conner Grills6 & and Joel Kardash 7 they have 2 strong fetchers, and great ball runners. The Reds capt Ned Slack Smith 5 try performance was just huge. He carried 3 defenders across the line with him in 3 of his tries. Leads by example in the tackles as well. The halves combination of Goug Philipson and Isaiya Kotoa had their best game to date. great service from first phase by Philipson which gives time and space to Katoa. He never over plays his hand giving front foot ball to his centres all day. Its going to be tough to drop either Kennedy12 or Galloway 13 when Eli Sagala returns. The centres ran hard and straight all day and with Reid ,McIntyre and Hollow with speed and skill outwide, the points flow. Next weeks game against Joeys at Joeys will be the wake up call and give a true indication of Barkers standing. It is making to be a great game of rugby.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Well, I made it out to Summer Hill to see what Trinity has to offer this year. They finished up beating Oakhill without doing anything to suggest that they'll be a force in the competition this year.

Confession: I arrived about 20 minutes after kickoff, so it may be that I missed something significant. At that stage Oakhill led 14-10 (although you wouldn't know, because the scoreboard was on the fritz).

Shortly before half time, Trinity launched an attack in Oakhill's quarter and, with a penalty advantage Hunter Hannaford (10) stabbed through a grubber that sat up nicely for Olly White (13) who took his chance nicely. Hannaford converted from wide out and it was 17-14 at oranges (or whatever it is they have these days).

Early in the second half I formed that view that whoever scored first would win the game, because neither side looked capable of constructing more than one score. As it turned out, there was no score at all in the second half and the game ended 17-14 to Trinity. But it wasn't an effort that would have pleased the coaches.

The problem lies in the tight five. Some of whom are hard workers around the park, but their set piece was terrible. Every scrum went backwards, so 9 Orly Hatton-Ward was constantly under pressure and sometimes the ball rolled to the first receiver. The lineout was worse. There are actually no words to describe how bad it was. Trinity lost its first four throws while I was there, then won the next by accident (when a surprised player at the tail caught an overthrown ball). They indulged in all sorts of tooling around, moving players around before the throw, which confused only themselves. Look: if your lineout isn't great, you keep it simple. You pick your best jumper, support him well, and throw to him. Complicating matters only makes it worse.

So for half the game Trinity was on the back foot, even in possession. It wasn't very pretty. Hannaford is still a tremendous player, but a lot of what he did today was damage control. I thought he overplayed the grubber kick for his wingers, but I understand his desire to get the play moving forward.

All this makes it hard to evaluate the backs, because there was relatively little front-foot ball. 12 Jack Casimir made one very powerful run, but didn't seem to get the ball again. White was quiet after his try. Kian Edmed looked tidy at full back, apart from one unforced fumble at a rolling kick.

Theo Kidd (11) may or may not be the attacking weapon they say he is: you couldn't tell from what I saw, as he never had the ball in space. Certainly he's physically imposing: he was twice the size of his opposite number. He looks safe under the high ball and he effectively won the game with a great try scoring tackle when he hit an Oakhill player over the tryline a split second before he grounded the ball (think George Gregan/Jeff Wilson, only under the posts). Generally his defensive positioning was good. Paulo Tauiliili-Peleasa (4) produced another bone-crunching (but entirely legal) tackle to snuff out an Oakhill movement metres from the Trinity line. And No8 Alisi Ieao did some good work picking the ball up from some awful scrums and running hard from the back. He went off injured after one barnstorming run late in the day.

It wasn't an easy game to watch, partly because of the high error rate on both sides, and partly because one Oakhill mother spent the entire game screeching her lungs out. Truly, anyone who attends every Oakhill game this season will end up being treated for industrial deafness.

So where to for Trinity? Well, I guess there were some positives: they found a way to win, their defence held up well, and there's clearly some attacking potential in the backs. But whoever works with the forwards has a job on his hands. I'd be doing scrums and lineouts at training, and then following that with scrums and lineouts, and then repeat. Because unless Trinity improves its set piece, they'll be on the wrong end of a couple of horrible scores later in the season.

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
Well, I made it out to Summer Hill to see what Trinity has to offer this year. They finished up beating Oakhill without doing anything to suggest that they'll be a force in the competition this year.

Theo Kidd (11) may or may not be the attacking weapon they say he is: you couldn't tell from what I saw, as he never had the ball in space. Certainly he's physically imposing: he was twice the size of his opposite number. He looks safe under the high ball and he effectively won the game with a great try scoring tackle when he hit an Oakhill player over the tryline a split second before he grounded the ball (think George Gregan/Jeff Wilson, only under the posts). Generally his defensive positioning was good. Paulo Tauiliili-Peleasa (4) produced another bone-crunching (but entirely legal) tackle to snuff out an Oakhill movement metres from the Trinity line.
Good to see Theo back in Rugby, thought we had lost him to Basketball. Great player, seems like a nice kid too

Walshy81

Sydney Middleton (9)

Confession: I arrived about 20 minutes after kickoff, so it may be that I missed something significant. At that stage Oakhill led 14-10 (although you wouldn't know, because the scoreboard was on the fritz).

Shortly before half time, Trinity launched an attack in Oakhill's quarter and, with a penalty advantage Hunter Hannaford (10) stabbed through a grubber that sat up nicely for Olly White (13) who took his chance nicely. Hannaford converted from wide out and it was 17-14 at oranges (or whatever it is they have these days).

Early in the second half I formed that view that whoever scored first would win the game, because neither side looked capable of constructing more than one score. As it turned out, there was no score at all in the second half and the game ended 17-14 to Trinity. But it wasn't an effort that would have pleased the coaches.

The problem lies in the tight five. Some of whom are hard workers around the park, but their set piece was terrible. Every scrum went backwards, so 9 Orly Hatton-Ward was constantly under pressure and sometimes the ball rolled to the first receiver. The lineout was worse. There are actually no words to describe how bad it was. Trinity lost its first four throws while I was there, then won the next by accident (when a surprised player at the tail caught an overthrown ball). They indulged in all sorts of tooling around, moving players around before the throw, which confused only themselves. Look: if your lineout isn't great, you keep it simple. You pick your best jumper, support him well, and throw to him. Complicating matters only makes it worse.

So for half the game Trinity was on the back foot, even in possession. It wasn't very pretty. Hannaford is still a tremendous player, but a lot of what he did today was damage control. I thought he overplayed the grubber kick for his wingers, but I understand his desire to get the play moving forward.

All this makes it hard to evaluate the backs, because there was relatively little front-foot ball. 12 Jack Casimir made one very powerful run, but didn't seem to get the ball again. White was quiet after his try. Kian Edmed looked tidy at full back, apart from one unforced fumble at a rolling kick.

Theo Kidd (11) may or may not be the attacking weapon they say he is: you couldn't tell from what I saw, as he never had the ball in space. Certainly he's physically imposing: he was twice the size of his opposite number. He looks safe under the high ball and he effectively won the game with a great try scoring tackle when he hit an Oakhill player over the tryline a split second before he grounded the ball (think George Gregan/Jeff Wilson, only under the posts). Generally his defensive positioning was good. Paulo Tauiliili-Peleasa (4) produced another bone-crunching (but entirely legal) tackle to snuff out an Oakhill movement metres from the Trinity line. And No8 Alisi Ieao did some good work picking the ball up from some awful scrums and running hard from the back. He went off injured after one barnstorming run late in the day.

It wasn't an easy game to watch, partly because of the high error rate on both sides, and partly because one Oakhill mother spent the entire game screeching her lungs out. Truly, anyone who attends every Oakhill game this season will end up being treated for industrial deafness.

So where to for Trinity? Well, I guess there were some positives: they found a way to win, their defence held up well, and there's clearly some attacking potential in the backs. But whoever works with the forwards has a job on his hands. I'd be doing scrums and lineouts at training, and then following that with scrums and lineouts, and then repeat. Because unless Trinity improves its set piece, they'll be on the wrong end of a couple of horrible scores later in the season.

I was at Summer Hill the week earlier to watch the Cranbrook game and Trinity were indeed fired up - celebrating turnovers like they were 5 pointers!

I left before Brook's 2 late tries and understand that Brook didn't play 4 of their expected 1sts backline (based on comments on this forum). I note it was 5 tries to 4 in Brook's favour, but I thought it was a fair win to Trinity, all things considered.

I didn't get to Dangar to watch Brook yesterday; Brook 36 Pius 17

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
In fairness to Theo Kidd, I see that he scored Trinity's first try yesterday (before I arrived).

I suspect Trinity needs to find ways to involve him more in attack. He tended to stay on his wing, where the ball seldom reached him, and he spent a lot of times chasing kicks. I'd use him as first or second receiver a few times: he's as big as the forwards, so he should be able to handle it.

Rugby Ref

Herbert Moran (7)
He spent a lot of times chasing kicks. I'd use him as first or second receiver a few times: he's as big as the forwards, so he should be able to handle it.

Snort - does Kidd have the skills for either 12 or 13? Would you recommend that? Moving him in one or two backline positions might be best for both him and Trinity...

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Snort - does Kidd have the skills for either 12 or 13? Would you recommend that? Moving him in one or two backline positions might be best for both him and Trinity.

I'm hesitant to answer this because I've seen him play once, and haven't seen him get much ball. But I work on the basis that, if you're a side that needs to make the most of every opportunity to score, it's best to find ways to involve your most dangerous players. On the two occasions I saw Kidd get the ball after it had been through the hands in the backs, it had basically been shovelled sideways, so the defence was on top of him when he got it. So if I were coaching, I'd look to get him involved in different situations. Set moves from scrums and lineouts are probably no use, because the ball Trinity gets from them is messy. So that leaves bringing him in closer to the action in phase play.

I actually thought Trinity's 12 and 13 did quite well when they had opportunities in attack, so I'm not sure that shifting them is the answer.

The paradox is, though, that all of this stems from the tight five. If Trinity could win more clean first-phase ball, I have a feeling that its backs could be quite dangerous.

Charles_Goodwin1998

Frank Row (1)
I personally agree with ross the Trinity Forwards were very sluggish and slow. I Don't think they won any Lineouts or scrums with this being said in all fairness the Oakhill pack had more size on them rather than the Trinity boys. Clearly Lineouts and Scrums is something the coaches at Trinity have to be spending more time with the forwards so they can work on the structure. With this being said i believe Trinity were 100% outsized coming into this game both Backs and Forwards. However I believe Watching Hunter Hannaford for a few seasons now and I think that he is one of the best Flyhalfs in the state definitely competing with some big names in the age group such as Jack Bowen and Tom Morrison, His awareness is Outstanding he is very composed on the pitch and definitely knows how to Involve everyone on the field. Next week Trinity travel to Oxford falls to play Pius and finally good to see outside-back Ronan Hennessy playing Footy after Tearing his meniscus while playing for the Sydney Roosters Harold Matthews side this year moving Olly White to 14.