• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW CAS Rugby 2021

axel

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Boil over coming at Warrawee. With Knox constantly kicking the ball away, Oakhill lead 35-34 with 4 to go.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Interesting result at Warrawee. Last week I though Oakhill looked gutsy, very determined and pretty limited. Whereas Knox had pushed Joeys hard. Not sure what can be learned from this except that Knox seems to have an issue in defence.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Well done Barker. Wins against SJC are always well-deserved.

And well done Trinity: that's a big result, although SPX isn't the force it once was. Suggests that they may be able to challenge Knox for third place.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
So there are two weeks of trials before Round 1. What have we learned?

Actually, not much we didn't know already, except that Knox are not quite as good as expected. Barring a big upset, and these can still happen, Barker and Waverley will slug it out. Trinity and Cranbrook will challenge Knox for third. And its 19-10 win over Scots Thirds notwithstanding, St Aloysius remains the favourite to bring up the rear.

It would be nice to think there's an upset somewhere in the works, but it's hard to see where it's coming from.

By the way, well done Tas Smith (Cranbrook, two years back) who got on for his First Grade debut for Sydney University this afternoon.

CAS Rugby 1010

Bob McCowan (2)
Snort although I may sound bias here. But I thinking we are jumping the gun on assuming aloys as last here. Word is today Aloys dominated the first half against scots, and then proceeded to put on their 2nds players for the remainder of the match.I've also been told scots' two tries where in the last 5 minutes. Aloys have had a big win against St Pats, in which they won by more than knox. All im saying is aloys are going to come with some force this season, and are not to be underestimated.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Snort although I may sound bias here. But I thinking we are jumping the gun on assuming aloys as last here. Word is today Aloys dominated the first half against scots, and then proceeded to put on their 2nds players for the remainder of the match.I've also been told scots' two tries where in the last 5 minutes. Aloys have had a big win against St Pats, in which they won by more than knox. All im saying is aloys are going to come with some force this season, and are not to be underestimated.

Aloysius looks a lot more competitive this year, and no one should underestimate them. And yet, and yet. I think Trinity is likely to finish no higher than fourth, and they put 60 points on St Pius, who last week held Aloysius to 6-11. Now, I know it doesn't always follow that if team A beats team B 60-17 and team C beat team B 11-6, then team A will beat team C. But the result suggests that if St Aloysius is looking for a win, it will be hard to achieve against Trinity. And Trinity and Cranbrook are pegging at around the same level in the trials so far.

I'm certainly not "assuming" that St Aloysius will come last. It's an educated guess based on trial form so far, which is an imperfect guide, I admit.

Look, I hope I'm wrong, because the 1st XV competition needs a competitive St Aloysius, and I hope they have a strong season. But a 7 point win over Scots thirds isn't exactly the herald of a new dawn.