• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW CAS Rugby 2021

Barker4Peat

Stan Wickham (3)
Look, I know we aren't supposed to say this following off Snort's guidelines, but I do truly believe this to be our year.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Look, I know we aren't supposed to say this following off Snort's guidelines, but I do truly believe this to be our year.

I'm very happy for you.

But, my point is, why do you think you're better than Waverley? The only objective point of comparison is that you've both played Newington, but Newington had several players out when they played Barker.

Look, I think it's shaping up as a two-horse race, likely to be decided by whether Barker beats Waverley. But one thing about the five-round competition is that the strongest team doesn't necessarily win. I think back to my last year at school when Trinity was objectively useless and Waverley was unbeaten against CAS opposition, yet the game at Queens Park was a draw, 14-14 (ask WLF, he'll tell you all about it). Trinity scored two breakaway tries, one an intercept, and defended pretty well. Now, as it happens that result didn't cost Waverley, but it could have, and something like that can always happen. It's therefore hard to make confident predictions before a ball has been kicked in the competition itself.

Overtime

Herbert Moran (7)
Snort,

Why then do you think that Aloys will bring up the rear? I remember a couple of seasons ago Waverley were being touted as premiership contenders yet Aloys beat them 22 verse 5.

Hankspank

Larry Dwyer (12)
Interesting result at Warrawee. Last week I though Oakhill looked gutsy, very determined and pretty limited. Whereas Knox had pushed Joeys hard. Not sure what can be learned from this except that Knox seems to have an issue in defence.

Last week was Oakhills worst game by a mile Snort. Have never seen that team drop so much ball ever. This particular cohort is the strongest team to come through the school in several years. The majority have been playing high level Sunday football for many years rather than just school footy. I wouldn't be downgrading Knox after Saturdays game. They played some brilliant football in what was an absorbing, hard fought game.

Iloverucks1

Stan Wickham (3)
Snort,

Why then do you think that Aloys will bring up the rear? I remember a couple of seasons ago Waverley were being touted as premiership contenders yet Aloys beat them 22 verse 5.

I think his prediction for Aloys to come in 6th comes off the fact they lost last year calling for NON-CONTESTED scrums in their own first XV... I'm sure some of the older fella's in the forum can agree we haven't seen anything like that in some time. Whilst Aloy's may have had an upset in previous years, their 21-12 win against the Scots 3rd XV this weekend only supports Snort's prediction.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
I'm very happy for you.

But, my point is, why do you think you're better than Waverley? The only objective point of comparison is that you've both played Newington, but Newington had several players out when they played Barker.

Look, I think it's shaping up as a two-horse race, likely to be decided by whether Barker beats Waverley. But one thing about the five-round competition is that the strongest team doesn't necessarily win. I think back to my last year at school when Trinity was objectively useless and Waverley was unbeaten against CAS opposition, yet the game at Queens Park was a draw, 14-14 (ask WLF, he'll tell you all about it). Trinity scored two breakaway tries, one an intercept, and defended pretty well. Now, as it happens that result didn't cost Waverley, but it could have, and something like that can always happen. It's therefore hard to make confident predictions before a ball has been kicked in the competition itself.

Agree Snort. The only thing predictable on my observations of this comp over the last 10 years or so has been its complete unpredictability which makes watching it the cheapest and best entertainment in town...

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Snort,

I'm going on form in the trials. What that suggests is that Barker and Waverley are clearly the strongest sides. Barker has knocked off Joeys, who are always a prized scalp. Waverley has pretty much cruised through the trials, beating St Augustine's pretty easily, and they're usually a good benchmark. Plus Waverley was the strongest side in this age group coming through, which means less than it used to, now that so many players in many schools join in or about Year 11.

I don't think anyone would argue very hard against that proposition.

Knox are difficult to get a handle on. They went down narrowly to Joeys, which was a decent result. They accounted for Shore easily enough. On those results, I'd have them tracking below Barker and Waverley but above Trinity and Cranbrook. But then they went down to Oakhill. Now, Oakhill lost to Trinity the week before, although they should probably have won. They dominated the set pieces, were extremely committed and gutsy, yet their error rate was extraordinary. They looked to me committed, strong and limited (but that's just one game). Anyway, from a CAS perspective, I still think that form has Knox in the top three, but more vulnerable to Trinity, Cranbrook and St Aloysius than I would have expected.

Trinity and Cranbrook seem pretty evenly-matched. Trinity won their trial, but not after a scare, and Cranbrook were a touch below full strength. Trinity really got out of jail against Oakhill, and whacked St Pius. They have a dangerous backline but (on what I have seen) really need to improve their set piece if they're to make any impact. If they get a decent supply of clean ball, they have an upset in them, but that's a big if.

Cranbrook lost to Trinity and beat St Pius 36-17. I don't know what happened at Kinross Wollaroi. I'd put them around the same level as Trinity, although their trial form is not quite as good.

And then St Aloysius. Yes, I know they beat Waverley a few years back, and that was great. But I'm dealing with this year. I think Trinity, Cranbrook and St Aloysius are the bottom three on form. Of those, Trinity beat St Pius 60-17. Cranbrook beat St Pius 36-17. St Aloysius beat St Pats 11-6. Now, on that benchmark you'd say that St Aloysius is closer to St Pius' standard than the other two schools. Yes, I know it's said in these forums that St Aloysius "dominated" against St Pius, but if you "dominate" and can only score 11 points, your side has problems, no?

St Aloysius has won four from four in the trials and looks way more competitive than last year, and these are good developments. And I hope they go well this year. But they have played the weakest opponents in the trials, so there's a limit to how much you read into it.

And, as I keep saying, any odds are good odds in a two-horse race, which means that on a given day St Aloysius can cause an upset. I'd like to see that. But, on form so far, I can't split Barker and Waverley at the top, I think Knox will be third, I can't split Trinity and Cranbrook for fourth and I suspect St Aloysius are a step behind them.

Would love to be proved wrong, though.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Last week was Oakhills worst game by a mile Snort. Have never seen that team drop so much ball ever. This particular cohort is the strongest team to come through the school in several years. The majority have been playing high level Sunday football for many years rather than just school footy. I wouldn't be downgrading Knox after Saturdays game. They played some brilliant football in what was an absorbing, hard fought game.

Oakhill certainly butchered the game against Trinity. I was trying to get a grip on who was who in the Trinity side and didn't pay very close attention to individuals in the Oakhill team. Their scrum and lineout took Trinity apart - hard to say whether it was because they're good, or because their opponents were poor. Maybe a bit of both. They were rugged and committed. And the number of unforced errors in the backs was extraordinary. I felt quite sorry for the Oakhill forwards because there wasn't much more they could have done!

So, yes, it doesn't surprise me that Oakhill was capable of beating Knox. My point is that the result suggests that Knox and Trinity are closer in standard than I had expected.

informant

Frank Row (1)
Cranbrook lost to Trinity and beat St Pius 36-17. I don't know what happened at Kinross Wollaroi. I'd put them around the same level as Trinity, although their trial form is not quite as good.

Brook played scots at scots in an assorted training/game this weekend. there was 15 minutes of scrum and lineout attack from each team and then a 40 minute game consisting of 2, 20 minute halves. It was 1 try all for the majority of the game and then scots managed to receive a penalty try with brook's fullback being carded putting the score 2 tries to 1 scots way. pretty evenly matched other than the scots inside centre who was impossible to put down, i believe it's his 3rd/4th year playing for their 1sts as he repeated year 12.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
That year Joeys only won ONE GPS comp match. It was their weakest XV in decades.

From memory, in 1979 Newington played Scots in the final round in a virtual playoff for the premiership - in both 1sts and 2nds. Newington won 1sts, Scots 2nds. But here's the twist. There were two future NSW Waratahs in action in that final round, and both played 2nds: Nick Farr-Jones for Newington and David Croft for Scots.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
That year Joeys only won ONE GPS comp match. It was their weakest XV in decades.

How would you have rated this years SJC team Joker which played Barker. Did the school run its best or was it a mix and match with the seconds?

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
How would you have rated this years SJC team Joker which played Barker. Did the school run its best or was it a mix and match with the seconds?

I was away, but have seen thee team list and it looked strong. I am unsure how many 2nd XV players got a run in the second half. They would have been fresh as they had thumped BC 2nd XV by 40. Joeys tend to do changes during trials at half time. Against Knox they made six at the big break and it showed. The coaches have said so often, "you learn more from a loss than you do from a win".

Case in point, 2018.
Joeys lost to Trinity in their second trial game and then went on to win the competition.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
I was away, but have seen thee team list and it looked strong. I am unsure how many 2nd XV players got a run in the second half. They would have been fresh as they had thumped BC 2nd XV by 40. Joeys tend to do changes during trials at half time. Against Knox they made six at the big break and it showed. The coaches have said so often, "you learn more from a loss than you do from a win".

Case in point, 2018.
Joeys lost to Trinity in their second trial game and then went on to win the competition.

Barker played their worst trial game to date against Joeys on Sat. What became evident is they have a lineout issue that needs to be remedied.Barker never challenged Joeys throw and were under pressure on their own throws.
Game wise, Joeys played to a script and did that very well. The forwards won 50% of the possession and there is enough zip zip zoom in the backs with the Jorgensen cousins and Chan, who are well guided by Fowler to score plenty of points.
Joeys did bring on a raft of players in the 2nd half and these replacements from the 2nds are high quality players. In fact if Joeys 1sts and 2nds played a full game there would only be 10 points in it I reckon.
It highlights the quality rugby program that has been in existence at Joeys for the last century and some. It has to be close to the best school boy rugby program in Australia and the results year in year out reflect that. Barker were missing 2 starting xv players on Saturday in Segala and Hooper and lost one of their backs due to a concussion midway through the second half that also had a small impact on the result. Segala and Hooper are class players and will certainly add depth to the squad on their return.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
So, trials this weekend.

My predictions: Barker will beat Shore in a canter.

Riverview will be too strong for Knox.

Cranbrook and St Gregs? Who knows?

Trinity should beat St Pats.

St Stanislaus will be a good test of how far St Aloysius has improved.

Which leaves Kings and Waverley. I think Waverley takes this one. Mind you, it would be fun if Kings gave Sua'ali'i a game. Then it would be just like a Roosters internal trial!

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Barker played their worst trial game to date against Joeys on Sat. What became evident is they have a lineout issue that needs to be remedied.Barker never challenged Joeys throw and were under pressure on their own throws.
Game wise, Joeys played to a script and did that very well. The forwards won 50% of the possession and there is enough zip zip zoom in the backs with the Jorgensen cousins and Chan, who are well guided by Fowler to score plenty of points.
Joeys did bring on a raft of players in the 2nd half and these replacements from the 2nds are high quality players. In fact if Joeys 1sts and 2nds played a full game there would only be 10 points in it I reckon.
It highlights the quality rugby program that has been in existence at Joeys for the last century and some. It has to be close to the best school boy rugby program in Australia and the results year in year out reflect that. Barker were missing 2 starting xv players on Saturday in Segala and Hooper and lost one of their backs due to a concussion midway through the second half that also had a small impact on the result. Segala and Hooper are class players and will certainly add depth to the squad on their return.

Hi Rod,
Tell us more about Segala and Hooper, what positions, aren't aware of them in this age group, but I could be wrong.
Hope the concussed boy is now fine! and it was a terrific win v Joeys, clearly sends a message.

axel

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Hi Rod,
Tell us more about Segala and Hooper, what positions, aren't aware of them in this age group, but I could be wrong.
Hope the concussed boy is now fine! and it was a terrific win v Joeys, clearly sends a message.

They must be new WLF, I've not heard of them either. I also hope the young fella with concussion makes a speedy recovery.

The Analyser

Bob McCowan (2)
They must be new WLF, I've not heard of them either. I also hope the young fella with concussion makes a speedy recovery.
Hi Axel,
Segala and Hooper, Both members of the barker 1st XV side last year (2020), both tremendous players. Hooper a loose forward or 2nd Row being in year 10 last year, was one of their best, if not their best forward. Segala played a few games at 13 last year and is electric with the ball.

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)

Segala is in Year 11 as well as Hooper, been at the school for a few years (not sure exactly but pretty sure he was at least playing in the 15's team). Concussion recipient doing OK, serious injuries ruled out thankfully.