• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW CAS Rugby 2021

Chilli Rugby

Bob McCowan (2)
Dion would be first Prop picked on current form and I have seen them all play this season.

Not sure of the Tight/Loose Head preferences for Black/Smith/Yazdani?

Smith plays 1 & Dion plays 3 from memory.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Oaks might have done the boys a favour last week WLF. Sounds like they came out firing last weekend. As previously mentioned though I think it would be mistaken in the rep selections for the Knox prop (Black) to not be in the 1st's rep team from what I saw in the trial games against other CAS teams. Can see in a rep team he will be solid and lift even higher than in his school team. Boy has work ethic, size and a bloody big motor.

Agreed Handspank, nothing like a kick in the p...

I am no expert but believe Smith is the best technical prop running around, a big factor as to why the Waves scrum is so strong. The other 2 props discussed appear to play more of a running game, so I believe that is the reason why 1 of these props will be chosen, but both are very good. The CAS is blessed with many serious forwards this year. Probably the strongest pack I have seen for many years. Herein lies my support of Bolivia's statement that the CAS 2s should also be strong via the forward pack.

axel

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Agreed Handspank, nothing like a kick in the p.

I am no expert but believe Smith is the best technical prop running around, a big factor as to why the Waves scrum is so strong. The other 2 props discussed appear to play more of a running game, so I believe that is the reason why 1 of these props will be chosen, but both are very good. The CAS is blessed with many serious forwards this year. Probably the strongest pack I have seen for many years. Herein lies my support of Bolivia's statement that the CAS 2s should also be strong via the forward pack.
My 2 cents on the prop (fantastic) dilemma...............having coached both Dion and Jack at both club and rep level, I can tell you Jack is a superior scrummager. They are both devastating ball runners, so if it were up to me, which of course it isn’t, if Smith and Black can cover loose and tight, I’d start with them, and bring Yazdani on when the opposition are tiring. He would find a few holes out there for sure. Things looking very promising for the CAS boys this year.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
My 2 cents on the prop (fantastic) dilemma.....having coached both Dion and Jack at both club and rep level, I can tell you Jack is a superior scrummager. They are both devastating ball runners, so if it were up to me, which of course it isn’t, if Smith and Black can cover loose and tight, I’d start with them, and bring Yazdani on when the opposition are tiring. He would find a few holes out there for sure. Things looking very promising for the CAS boys this year.

Axe, you would know, sounds very logical to me, but not sure if bench players are allowed fresh or if they are the 2s on the bench. I guess either way it is stills works, nice problem to have!

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
The limited number of times I have seen Yazdani play he has impressed somewhat with ball in hand up the middle. Wrecking ball characteristics reminiscent of Pollack but of larger size. It seems he has grown in size and skill somewhat. I cannot judge his skills compared to Black but crikey he is energetic and dangerous every time I have seen him ball in hand. His only weakness maybe is his natural and abundant aggression which may need better control.but lots of promise.

CAS Rugby 1010

Bob McCowan (2)
My Predicted CAS Lineup
1, Black (K)
2, Obaseki (C)
3, Yazdani (B)
4, Jahnke-Tavana (W)
5, Halatokoua (W)
6, King (W)
7, Kardash (B)
8, Slack-Smith (B)
9, Thorn (W)
10, Katoa (B)
11, Kidd (T)
12, Mcleod (K)
13, Wood (A)
14, Poulos (K)
15, Flanagan (C)

Happy to hear your thoughts lads

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
My Predicted CAS Lineup
1, Black (K)
2, Obaseki (C)
3, Yazdani (B)
4, Jahnke-Tavana (W)
5, Halatokoua (W)
6, King (W)
7, Kardash (B)
8, Slack-Smith (B)
9, Thorn (W)
10, Katoa (B)
11, Kidd (T)
12, Mcleod (K)
13, Wood (A)
14, Poulos (K)
15, Flanagan (C)

Happy to hear your thoughts lads

Unlikely. Waverley is unbeaten this year and pounded Knox in Round 1: there’s no way Knox gets three players to Waverley’s four. Black deserves a spot more than Poulos, but the intense competition in the front row may mean he misses out.

Lovetap

Peter Burge (5)
Any word on Slack-Smith? Is he missing matches?
Slack Smith blue card on Saturday so will be missing this week and probably from CAS selection.
I also agree the dominant pack being Waverley should be rewarded with bulk selections and stand by my earlier team predictions.

ap1

Allen Oxlade (6)
Any Barker parents have an intel on a Barker year 9 camp this weekend which means Barker 15’s are not playing Aloys.

Flavio

Ward Prentice (10)
Any Barker parents have an intel on a Barker year 9 camp this weekend which means Barker 15’s are not playing Aloys.
Whole lot of boys off to the NT for an "Immersion" camp. Same as last week against Cranbrook whats left of the A's, B's and C's are combining to play Aloys A's

ap1

Allen Oxlade (6)
Whole lot of boys off to the NT for an "Immersion" camp. Same as last week against Cranbrook whats left of the A's, B's and C's are combining to play Aloys A's

Very strange. I would have thought that part of the deal of being in CAS was being committed and available to play the competition rounds. Perhaps COVID has impacted the timing but very disappointing if schools can pick and choose when they feel like playing.

Flavio

Ward Prentice (10)
I think they got more signing up than they have previous years, Kings had the same issue with their rescheduled Cadet camp

Hector

Frank Nicholson (4)

Its against Aloys 15Bs - the 15As and 15Cs both have a bye.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Looks like we all agree on 10-12 of the spots in the CAS 1sts. But no one’s been brave enough to have a stab at the 2nds. Lots of spots wide open there in my view.

Walshy81

Sydney Middleton (9)
They visit remote Aboriginal communities and have to spend 24 hours camping on their own, no devices the whole trip - that would be tough for the little princesses

Only 24 hours - it'll hardly break any habits.
Continuing on with important matters, what's with the no dog policy at Barker? I was given a red card by security for having my puppy with me (politely, I must add).

Flavio

Ward Prentice (10)
DETAILS:
Thursday, June 10 @ Knox Grammar
3:15pm - GPS Blue v CJRU U18
4:30pm - GPS White v SJRU U18
5:45pm – CAS 2ndXV v GPS 2ndXV
7.00pm – CAS 1stXV v GPS 1stXV