• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW CAS Rugby 2021

THECASGURU

Frank Row (1)
  1. Smith (W)
  2. Sullivan (W)
  3. Yazdani (B)
  4. Hayman (C)
  5. Jahnke-Tavana (W)
  6. Halaholo (W)
  7. King (W) or Slack-Smith (B)
  8. King (W) or Slack-Smith (B)
  9. Thorn (W)
  10. Katoa (B)
  11. Kidd (T)
  12. Sagala (B)
  13. Dimovitch (B)
  14. T. Jahnke-Taavana (W)
  15. Quinn (W)
Anyone disagree

hornsby4life

Allen Oxlade (6)
  1. Smith (W)
  2. Sullivan (W)
  3. Yazdani (B)
  4. Hayman (C)
  5. Jahnke-Tavana (W)
  6. Halaholo (W)
  7. King (W) or Slack-Smith (B)
  8. King (W) or Slack-Smith (B)
  9. Thorn (W)
  10. Katoa (B)
  11. Kidd (T)
  12. Sagala (B)
  13. Dimovitch (B)
  14. T. Jahnke-Taavana (W)
  15. Quinn (W)
Anyone disagree
As I previously mentioned, Aloysius are bound to have a number of CAS troops, for instance the centre pairing, the 8 and the 10 are all obvious standouts and are returning players from last year. Mind you, this weeks game against Barker will certainly be alot closer than what some people are expecting.

Prediction for this weekend: Barker 21-19 Aloys - Wood to get double...

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
I'm not quiet sure if you have seen any Aloysius matches, but they outplayed the Scots and St Patricks backline easily. The centre pairing is on fire at the moment, and last weeks score clearly doesn't reflect it. This weekend Wood has a great chance to outplay his opposite number as does Brutan (12).

Guys, give it up, please.

Baxter

Peter Burge (5)
I'm not quiet sure if you have seen any Aloysius matches, but they outplayed the Scots and St Patricks backline easily. The centre pairing is on fire at the moment, and last weeks score clearly doesn't reflect it. This weekend Wood has a great chance to outplay his opposite number as does Brutan (12).

Great player and great sportsman. Was in contention fot Aus Schoolboy’s #12 but was plagued with injuries unfortunately

Baxter

Peter Burge (5)
He is probably picking Wood because he;

1. Is the best 13 in CAS
2. Also made his first XV debut in year 10
3. Made the CAS First XV team in 2020 as a year 11.

Watch one game of this kid and you will agree.

sublime player, excited to see his electrifying schoolboy highlights this year.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Rod, as you well know, it's not quite as easy as that!
If your team has no ball, is constantly going backwards, good luck shinning.

Let's see when they all play against the Waves!

I agree with you WLF it is not as simple as that. I have never seen Wood play. I have seen Segala over last 2 years and he is playing really well. Hard running and hard tackling. All that League training. I also concur with your sentiments on the pathways in that in all likliehood the NSW side is probably all but pencilled in.
Back in the day the CAS/GPS game was played at the end of the CAS comp. The GPS comp had finished as well as they started 3 weeks earlier than us. But I suppose things change over 40 years. Sportsmasters have a tough enough job to fit normal games in let alone the Rep ones. It is a pity that Barker has not played either Waves or Knox before the CAS team is selected this year.

Just putting it out there. What is the selection criteria for CAS?? Is it a true merit based selection or does there need to be some form of representation across all schools in the side.

For mine, I think they should pick a team that has the best chance to beat GPS. For many boys this game is their highlight as they will not go further. So winning this game is the ultimate for them.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
I agree with you WLF it is not as simple as that. I have never seen Wood play. I have seen Segala over last 2 years and he is playing really well. Hard running and hard tackling. All that League training. I also concur with your sentiments on the pathways in that in all likliehood the NSW side is probably all but pencilled in.
Back in the day the CAS/GPS game was played at the end of the CAS comp. The GPS comp had finished as well as they started 3 weeks earlier than us. But I suppose things change over 40 years. Sportsmasters have a tough enough job to fit normal games in let alone the Rep ones. It is a pity that Barker has not played either Waves or Knox before the CAS team is selected this year.

Just putting it out there. What is the selection criteria for CAS?? Is it a true merit based selection or does there need to be some form of representation across all schools in the side.

For mine, I think they should pick a team that has the best chance to beat GPS. For many boys this game is their highlight as they will not go further. So winning this game is the ultimate for them.

Spot on Rod,
Agree with all that, especially the fact that all the CAS and GPS teams haven't played each other.
Thus my point about selections being preordained.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Spot on Rod,
Agree with all that, especially the fact that all the CAS and GPS teams haven't played each other.
Thus my point about selections being preordained.

I agree again. The traditional pathway of CAS/GPS/ISA & CHS all playing each other then the NSW sides chosen after that to compete at the Aust Schools Champs was a much more transparent process than the current pathways program.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
I agree again. The traditional pathway of CAS/GPS/ISA & CHS all playing each other then the NSW sides chosen after that to compete at the Aust Schools Champs was a much more transparent process than the current pathways program.

Yep Rod,
I am probably sure that the current gen blue process has identified most of the best but it just makes it very difficult for the bolter, and in the old National comp process there was always a few.
Particularly from less visible locations like the ACT.

Sir Scrums-Alot

Frank Row (1)
Predicted CAS 1s lineup
  1. Smith (W)
  2. Obaseki (C)
  3. Yazdani (B)/Preketes (W)
  4. Halaholo (W)
  5. Jahnke-Tavana (W)
  6. Halakatoa (W)
  7. Kardash (B)
  8. Slack-Smith (B)/King (W)
  9. Thorn (W)
  10. Di Bartolo (W) Katoa (B)
  11. Kidd (T)
  12. Katoa (B)
  13. Dimovitch (W)
  14. Tavana (W)
  15. Quinn (W)/ Flanagan(C)
Think you'll find the 1s side will be heavily dominated by Waverley Boys. What will be interesting is how they approach the 10/12 selection. Personally I think they will go for the Barker 10 at 12 being a bigger body. I think him and Di Bartolo are too good not to both be in the 1s. I think Worthington will be one unlucky omission who will dominate in the CAS 2nds, won't be shocked to see him push for higher selections.

axel

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Predicted CAS 1s lineup
  1. Smith (W)
  2. Obaseki (C)
  4. Halaholo (W)
  5. Jahnke-Tavana (W)
  6. Halakatoa (W)
  7. Kardash (B)
  9. Thorn (W)
  11. Kidd (T)
  12. Katoa (B)
  13. Dimovitch (W)
  14. Tavana (W)
Think you'll find the 1s side will be heavily dominated by Waverley Boys. What will be interesting is how they approach the 10/12 selection. Personally I think they will go for the Barker 10 at 12 being a bigger body. I think him and Di Bartolo are too good not to both be in the 1s. I think Worthington will be one unlucky omission who will dominate in the CAS 2nds, won't be shocked to see him push for higher selections.
I'll have a little side bet with someone if they want to pick a CAS 1st xv team without any players from Knox in there.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Theres a lot of rubbish being discussed here Flavio....

Agree Axe and Flav,

There will definitely be a mix of schools, always has been and probably always will be.

I believe there are 6 Waves certs, some obvious Barker boys 3 certs I can see could be more, Knox 1 cert could be more, Cranbrook 2 and Trinity 1 cert, leaving 2 spots. IMO.

However, as previously mentioned, hey who would really know, as all the schools haven't played each other, so boys haven't played against their challengers etc.
Same goes for the GPS.

axel

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Agree Axe and Flav,

There will definitely be a mix of schools, always has been and probably always will be.

I believe there are 6 Waves certs, some obvious Barker boys 3 certs I can see could be more, Knox 1 cert could be more, Cranbrook 2 and Trinity 1 cert, leaving 2 spots. IMO.

However, as previously mentioned, hey who would really know, as all the schools haven't played each other, so boys haven't played against their challengers etc.
Same goes for the GPS.

Hi WLF........................My response was more aimed at the bloke who reckons 5 or 6 Aloy's boys will be picked

Hankspank

Larry Dwyer (12)
Predicted CAS 1s lineup
  1. Smith (W)
  2. Obaseki (C)
  4. Halaholo (W)
  5. Jahnke-Tavana (W)
  6. Halakatoa (W)
  7. Kardash (B)
  9. Thorn (W)
  11. Kidd (T)
  12. Katoa (B)
  13. Dimovitch (W)
  14. Tavana (W)
Sorry mate. Watched them both and Katoa is a pure 10 and better. jarrah o'neil & Segala will be 12 & 13.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Sorry mate. Watched them both and Katoa is a pure 10 and better. jarrah o'neil & Segala will be 12 & 13.

Hi H,
My choice for 13 is Aaron D.(w). He was out when the Waves played Oakhill so not sure if you have seen him.
Pretty sure he will be 13.

hornsby4life

Allen Oxlade (6)
Predicted CAS 1s lineup
  1. Smith (W)
  2. Obaseki (C)
  4. Halaholo (W)
  5. Jahnke-Tavana (W)
  6. Halakatoa (W)
  7. Kardash (B)
  9. Thorn (W)
  11. Kidd (T)
  12. Katoa (B)
  13. Dimovitch (W)
  14. Tavana (W)

Mind you "Sir-Scrums Alot", having watched the Barker v Cranbrook and Aloysius v Scots 3s game, you have left out plenty of guarantees such as Hayman and the whole Aloysius backline...