• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools Debating 2023

The Bait

Allen Oxlade (6)
:D Thank you!

This makes sense. I think rescheduling is just the orderly thing to do. You don't want to be known as the school that takes advantage of other teams' situations like this. I also think it is just better to go against a team at full strength. It is a much better form of preparation for the grand final if you make it and I think your win will feel tainted if you deny a request to reschedule. You don't want the feeling of an * being next to your victory.

Also, I understand that changing the time will be challenging especially given you need three adjudicators, can't miss school and other commitments etc., but on the year 12s having other things to do, are we sure that all of the Grammar team are in year 12? Also worth noting that Archdale is on Tuesday nights and the students cope well. Debating doesn't have to be on Fridays.
Fair points there most teams will want to beat the best. Just thinking, where do you draw the line though to justify a reschedule ? Let’s say any speaker is sick for the semi, can they reschedule or if needing to represent their school/division in another co-curricular, could they reschedule for that ? If so that’s OK.
if not then why would a speaker on state duties be any different ? Isda schedule and state schedule are set and not unforeseen, speakers go into these competitions knowing of potential clashes.
I do think 2 massive debates in 1 week places you at a disadvantage. Also you will have different topic selection, potentially different and lower quality adj pool (as they only get paid for 1 debate instead of 3 etc etc.

As a it stands right now, it’s Grammar v Barker next Friday night as the ISDA finals draw is up.

There is a very good speaker in kambalas year 9 team, they went 6/7 which is excellent. Potentially firsts next year. There are also numerous 1st and seconds debaters from year 10 once again.
Kambala traditionally seems like there are plenty of great teams and talented speakers, having a long history of ISDA wins. However a very talented speaker from year 9 getting into firsts seems a little questionable, as their team did recently get knocked out by a Grammar team. Perhaps there may be even more stronger speakers in the junior age groups?

What I mean is that she may make an opens team next year. Getting knocked out by a grammar team could be a reflection on the team as a whole and not her individually
Oh ok. Sounds very promising for the future of Kambala debating, and it'll be interesting to see how everything plays out. Meanwhile, are there future promises for traditional powerhouses like Grammar or Joeys?

There is a very good speaker in kambalas year 9 team, they went 6/7 which is excellent. Potentially firsts next year. There are also numerous 1st and seconds debaters from year 10 once again.
Good to see some discussion around the juniors.

Could I inquire where you got this info?
What I mean is that she may make an opens team next year. Getting knocked out by a grammar team could be a reflection on the team as a whole and not her individually
Regardless it is a bit strange for a speaker on the verge of the opens at such a traditionally strong school to get knocked out at quarters.

Also this Kambala cohort are former ISDA champions so it doesn’t seem to be an issue of a faulty team.
No disrespect just curious

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Hi.
I don't venture here often, but just dropped by to remind ALL posters that this sub-forum follows the rules of all others under the GAGR umbrella.
These can be found here.
https://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/welcome-to-g-gr-history-and-rules.7341/

If posters are breaching these, especially any around ridicule, abuse or similar to other posters, School Debating Representatives or other public figures - REPORT IT!

Play nice (and don't correct my grammar, please).
Cyclopath

debating is a team thing.
definitely agree on this one.
Also this Kambala cohort are former ISDA champions so it doesn’t seem to be an issue of a faulty team.
No disrespect just curious
Also somewhat agree here, this specific Kambala cohort has always been strong. Maybe a strong Grammar team? Maybe it wasn't their best debate? Who knows, but it would be nice to get more information about the nature of junior debates to follow young debaters up before they head into senior years :)

Romanforum

Frank Nicholson (4)
With the quarters down, it’s onto the semis.

With no Barker state speaker, Congrats to Grammar on making another ISDA grand final.

Aloys v Joeys
The Naughtin theatre will be packed this Friday night to cheer on the Joeys team. With the strongest form of any team, having a big win margin and having beaten Barker, queenwood and view and with a masterful coach at the helm, they will be hard to beat. Ignore the cranbrook loss as they lost a speaker to LCO and got the wrong side of the topic. With a returning isda A and state callback speaker, Joeys will be full of confidence.

Aloys on the other hand have almost eased into the semis courtesy of a softer draw but also on the back of a freakish undefeated streak spanning CAS and ISDA. Their win margin suggests they have barely been challenged. That ends this Friday night. With 2 state callback/ CAS rep speakers including an isda A returnee, they too will be confident.

At this stage of the competition it is all about the bench and whilst the debate will be close, I am expecting Aloys to pull away when it matters most and seal the win.

2 months ago I predicted an Aloys v Grammar final, let’s see what happens, GLTA.

Asdyjftj

Frank Nicholson (4)
Any predictions for Senior B gents/gentesses?
You'd have to pick Riverview over Cranbrook given they won 6 inrounds vs 3.

You'd have to pick Kambala given they have already beaten Shore.

One debate difference on the inrounds in a View v Kambala final. Given pool strength, Kambala probably a slight favorite.

You'd have to pick Riverview over Cranbrook given they won 6 inrounds vs 3.
Don't be so quick to rule out Cranbrook; their last loss wasn't particularly straightforward (missing a speaker and drew the short end of the stick with their stance on the topic). Judging by some of the master debaters Cranbrook has on the team, such as prodigy Joseph Bartrum, who allegedly turned down a spot on the NSW NSDC team, I think it could quite easily sway to a Cranbrook win.

Personally, a 65/35 split Cranbrooks way for me, just not too sure about Riverview despite their previous inrounds.

Anyway I'm excited to see how this plays out, UL1985