• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools Debating 2023

Romanforum

Peter Burge (5)
No announced topic area but I'd imagine there will be one as there has been in every round so far.

Pymble are 4/6, Riverview 6/7 and Scots 6/6.

If Scots win, Scots finish D1, Riverview D2 and Pymble and the winner of PLC v Kincoppal will be D3/4 based on margins.

If Pymble win, Pymble will finish D3, but D1/D2 will be down to margins for Scots and View.

If Knox beats Grammar, whoever finishes D1 could have a pretty easy route to the finals. Looks like QF 1 & 3 will have some very strong teams compared to QF 2 & 4.
That PLC v Pymble result keeps changing. When I looked at it Pymble were 5/6 having beaten PLC. Yes, I think Grammar needs to beat Knox or they will face alos in quarters then winner against joeys/Riverview in semis.

i-debate

Allen Oxlade (6)
No announced topic area but I'd imagine there will be one as there has been in every round so far.

Pymble are 4/6, Riverview 6/7 and Scots 6/6.

If Scots win, Scots finish D1, Riverview D2 and Pymble and the winner of PLC v Kincoppal will be D3/4 based on margins.

If Pymble win, Pymble will finish D3, but D1/D2 will be down to margins for Scots and View.

If Knox beats Grammar, whoever finishes D1 could have a pretty easy route to the finals. Looks like QF 1 & 3 will have some very strong teams compared to QF 2 & 4.
Who’s your tip to win isda ?

Debater

Herbert Moran (7)
That PLC v Pymble result keeps changing. When I looked at it Pymble were 5/6 having beaten PLC. Yes, I think Grammar needs to beat Knox or they will face alos in quarters then winner against joeys/Riverview in semis.
Yes, I have seen the result continually change. If anyone has direct information on the result (as in you definitely know) please say so or direct message me. I will then protect those cells so that they can't be edited.

In other Unofficial ISDA Table news the rankings and standings column has been opened to the public for everyone to edit, so please do so.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-LXFNbpGMW17qdpqK_qqEK6kShJQZymjuFOc_lZ44Jw/edit#gid=0

Romanforum

Peter Burge (5)
So, who do you think will win ISDA ? My tip is Grammar.
Based on the draw, I think it will be an Aloys v Grammar final.

Aloys have a relatively easy octo then likely to meet knox who they usually beat in CAS, this takes them to the semi.

Joeys have a tough draw. They have the hardest octo by far v SCEGGS / queenwood/ ascham. No doubt Joeys doing well but their pool, like Pool A looks easy compared to Pool B and D. Winner of that likely to meet View/scots/Pymble in the Quarter. Much has been said about the great start by Joeys but I’m not sure this team is better than last years Joeys A team (as they didn’t make isda B octos).

On the balance of probability and more upsets likely on the way to quarter 3, I think Aloys are best placed to make the final.

In the bottom half of the draw, Grammar will have an easy run to the semis as I’m assuming they beat knox this week. I think they will meet and beat Barker in the semis. Barker, like Scots, has one strong speaker which may be enough to make semis but not enough to beat Grammar.

The winner is a coin toss.

Debater

Herbert Moran (7)
Does anyone know of the 8 octos, which ones are week 1 May 5 and week 2 May 12?
I assumed Octos 1-4 were on Octo Round 1 and Octos 5-8 were on Octo Round 2. Not sure though. Also the question of where they are held. I have added the locations at the bottom of the Senior A tab. Not sure which one corresponds to which debates.

i-debate

Allen Oxlade (6)
I assumed Octos 1-4 were on Octo Round 1 and Octos 5-8 were on Octo Round 2. Not sure though. Also the question of where they are held. I have added the locations at the bottom of the Senior A tab. Not sure which one corresponds to which debates.
Thx. Btw who’s your tip to win isda at this stage ?

Debater

Herbert Moran (7)
The Pymble v PLC result was changed 32 minutes ago. Maybe people are confused since both schools are sometimes called PLC?

B

BobJones

Does anyone have any takes regarding Rep Teams this year for GPS, CAS, CHS, etc., and who will win that?

The Bait

Allen Oxlade (6)
Does anyone have any takes regarding Rep Teams this year for GPS, CAS, CHS, etc., and who will win that?
Below gives each division the strongest chance.

CHS
1st Speaker - Cammeraygal
2. SGHS
3. Ruse

GPS
1. Grammar
2. Riverview
3. Scots

CAS
1. St Aloysius’
2. Barker
3. St Aloysius’

IGSA
1. SCEGGS
2. Queenwood
3. Abbotsleigh

Focusing on the firsts only (rep cup is all divisions). Can’t split CHS, GPS and CAS, not so sure about IGSA.

DebatingNerd

Allen Oxlade (6)
Looks like another good group of talent again this year! I’m assuming State Team will be captained by Darshanik Aryal, he’s currently probably the best speaker (at a HS level) in the State and has been State Team/Reserve since Year 10.

Fingers crossed the team this year, under Udai Kamath and Sophie Shead (fantastic coaches no doubt), can finally bring the Nationals Trophy back to NSW! It’s been a while. ☹

Last year, the turbo-powered State Team consisting of Jules Bako, Jack Story, Toby Mok and Darshanik Aryal who made up a half of the Australian contingent unfortunately just missed out in the Grand Final. That probably speaks to the improved quality of other States on the circuit so we can’t get complacent this year, especially given a lot of the brightest talent on the NSW schools circuit has moved onto better things on the bigger, brighter, more prestigious stage of university debating. But I’m sure this year’s team will do us proud nonetheless.

In terms of Representative Teams, does anyone have any early calls? May be a controversial pick, but I’m calling it between CHS or Archdale this year. Archdale because they have a deep pool of talent including Nikki Han (Queenwood, 12), Helena Piazza (SCEGGS, 12) and Charlotte Allan (Abbotsleigh, 12). From what I’ve heard they also performed well last year, particularly in their Seconds meaning they have a good reserve of talent to call up. Their coaches last year also spoke high praise of them. CHS because they won last year and have a pretty bloody strong reserve of debaters to also call up that are leftover from last year’s winning contingent such as Darshanik Aryal (James Ruse, 12), Alexia Rigoni (Cammergayl, 12) and Abrar Chowdhury (SBHS, 12). But most of their SB/SG powered team last year consisting of Neva Mikulic (SGHS), Tim Hanna (SBHS) and Archie Wolifson (SBHS) have moved onto the uni debating scene at USYD. And their coaching regiment is always strong. They have talent in the Year 11s coming to the fore this year – particularly from SGHS. Their Year 11s should be strong this year, a good number of them made callbacks this year and Anhaar Kareem debates for them now. We could see more good stuff coming from SGHS in the near future!
I'm leaving out GPS for now because I legitimately don't have much clue as to what the teams may look like this year. I know Grammar has good talent (as usual) in the form of Kasra Roushan, Remy Sloan and the illustrious Aidan Woo’s (maybe sweatier?) little brother James Woo. Joeys has lost Xavier Leaver from their underdog winning side last year so GPS won’t have him this year but their Year 11 GPS Seconds winning side should have some strong talent. Matt Toomey’s done fantastic things with their program. All-in-all, don't have much of a clue what the Reps side for GPS will shape up to look like this year.

Less super-powered debaters/debating sides could be a good thing this year to be honest. It’s kind of fun not being able to call everything from the get-go and having there being a good tussle between all the schools.
Here.

DebatingNerd

Allen Oxlade (6)
What do you think are our chances at NSDC?
Fantastic as always. I watched the NSDC Grand Final last year and will leave no comment about the adj panel's decision :))). But, I really hope and do think we can take it home this year. I think that if do not win this year that'll be the longest stint NSW hasn't held the Nationals Premiership in a long loooong time.

I have no doubt that the team, coached by some of the best debaters on the historically formidable Australian university circuit, will make us proud nonetheless.

DebatingNerd

Allen Oxlade (6)
Below gives each division the strongest chance.

CHS
1st Speaker - Cammeraygal
2. SGHS
3. Ruse

GPS
1. Grammar
2. Riverview
3. Scots

CAS
1. St Aloysius’
2. Barker
3. St Aloysius’

IGSA
1. SCEGGS
2. Queenwood
3. Abbotsleigh

Focusing on the firsts only (rep cup is all divisions). Can’t split CHS, GPS and CAS, not so sure about IGSA.
My picks would be based off how things are progressing:

GPS: 2x Grammar, View, Scots
CAS: 2x Aloys, Barker, Knox
CHS: Ruse, SBHS, SGHS, Cammergayl
IGSA: SCEGGS, Abbotsleigh, Queenwood, Kambala