• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools Debating 2023

Debater

Herbert Moran (7)
Looking at the table - Aloysius, Grammar, Joeys, Scots and Riverview look the strongest. Next it’s Barker and Pymble. All should make the quarters. even if there are surprise results in octos, not sure any other team can win it.
Wouldn't want to underestimate the girls schools. As we get towards finals there will be more experienced adjudicators and panels more used to accounting for potential unconscious bias. That is not to say by any means that current adjudicators are bad though.

Romanforum

Peter Burge (5)
Wouldn't want to underestimate the girls schools. As we get towards finals there will be more experienced adjudicators and panels more used to accounting for potential unconscious bias. That is not to say by any means that current adjudicators are bad though.
That’s very true, we know sceggs won isda B last year. My assessment is based on results thus far. Do you know if the usual top girls schools have qualified eg Scegggs and abbotsleigh ? Isda spreadsheet used to show win margin.

Debater

Herbert Moran (7)
That’s very true, we know sceggs won isda B last year. My assessment is based on results thus far. Do you know if the usual top girls schools have qualified eg Scegggs and abbotsleigh ? Isda spreadsheet used to show win margin.
So the schools that have made finals in Senior A:

Pool A
St Aloysius'
Shore
St Andrew's
St Catherine's or Ravenswood or Loreto (one of these schools)

Pool B
Grammar
Knox

Queenwood or Ascham or SCEGGS (two of these schools)

Pool C
St Joseph's
Barker
Monte or Abbotsleigh or Cranbrook or MLC or Kings (two of these schools, still awaiting results and margins)

Pool D
Scots
Riverview
Pymble
Kincoppal
or PLC (one of these schools)

This is how I understand it as of now. Girls schools, boys schools, co-ed schools. Guaranteed in.
So it is a fairly even split.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Debater

Herbert Moran (7)
What were the results like last year for firsts and seconds in ISDA? Also other comps?

Debater

Herbert Moran (7)
Shore, Grammar, Knox, Joeys, Riverview and Scots are all doing pretty well in ISDA which makes it hard to narrow down, especially since you need to throw High into contention. Kings and Newington do not look much of a chance.
Knox isn't in GPS but I agree with the addition of many good squads this year and the last it is no longer the battle of the two or three schools that it used to be.

B

BobJones

I reckon it’ll be:
1. Joeys
2. Grammar
3. SBHS
4. View
5. Shore
6. Kings
7. Scots
8. Newington

i-debate

Allen Oxlade (6)
I reckon it’ll be:
1. Joeys
2. Grammar
3. SBHS
4. View
5. Shore
6. Kings
7. Scots
8. Newington
I think High will finish in the bottom half of the table. They are 2/5 in Eastside, do they put their Firsts into Eastside ? Other east side teams put their firsts and seconds in ISDA and run their thirds in east side. Bit harsh on Scots given they’re undefeated in ISDA?

Debater

Herbert Moran (7)
I think High will finish in the bottom half of the table. They are 2/5 in Eastside, do they put their Firsts into Eastside ? Other east side teams put their firsts and seconds in ISDA and run their thirds in east side. Bit harsh on Scots given they’re undefeated in ISDA?
I agree that Scots will do pretty well. Looks like pretty much everyone should though, some teams that may have made the top three a couple of years ago could come sixth.

GPS rep team might be good this year, emphasis on might.

i-debate

Allen Oxlade (6)
I agree that Scots will do pretty well. Looks like pretty much everyone should though, some teams that may have made the top three a couple of years ago could come sixth.

GPS rep team might be good this year, emphasis on might.
Grammar to win GPS. Re rep team, agree on the ‘might’. You have to pick the right team though. Surprise omissions from the state squad….

i-debate

Allen Oxlade (6)
Especially since there are no trials for GPS, and there's a lot of politicking about equal representation of schools.

The "issue" of High getting to have both CHS and GPS reps still causes a lot of grumbling too.
Have heard of rep team school caps in GPS, CAS and even state squads - not sure if true. No trials i think is OK if they look at speaker points over all the GPS rounds and select from that.

Debater

Herbert Moran (7)
Have heard of rep team school caps in GPS, CAS and even state squads - not sure if true. No trials i think is OK if they look at speaker points over all the GPS rounds and select from that.
Yeah, there is a two speaker cap per school. I think it was introduced because Grammar was dominating the squad but I don't really see the point anymore with the well-spread-out talent.

Romanforum

Peter Burge (5)
The Make up round looks very interesting next Friday.

A: think it will come down to margin for 4th spot as expect Ravenswood and Loretto to win leaving 3 teams on 3 points.

B: Grammar needs to win to secure top spot and an easier path. 3rd and 4th comes down to margin between ascham, queenwood and sceggs.

C: if Monte and Cranbrook win they make octos. If they both lose, we have 5 teams in it for 2 spots. I expect Monte to win and Cranbrook to lose to Joeys.

D: I see Pymble is in the finals tree as third but if they beat Scots the top 3 will all come down to margin. If PLC beats Kincoppal then 4th spot comes down to margin.

Debater

Herbert Moran (7)
The Make up round looks very interesting next Friday.

A: think it will come down to margin for 4th spot as expect Ravenswood and Loretto to win leaving 3 teams on 3 points.

B: Grammar needs to win to secure top spot and an easier path. 3rd and 4th comes down to margin between ascham, queenwood and sceggs.

C: if Monte and Cranbrook win they make octos. If they both lose, we have 5 teams in it for 2 spots. I expect Monte to win and Cranbrook to lose to Joeys.

D: I see Pymble is in the finals tree as third but if they beat Scots the top 3 will all come down to margin. If PLC beats Kincoppal then 4th spot comes down to margin.
Do you know if there is a set topic area for the catch-up round? As in do they have to choose from the topic areas that have not yet been done?