• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools Debating 2023

B

BobJones

Any predictions for round 5 winners and the topic area as well as who will make finals?
A: Kambala Beats Shore
B: Queenwood beats Grammar
C: Joeys beat Abbotsleigh
D: Scots vs PLC will be interesting no idea who will win that one, thoughts?

Topic Area: International Relations

Greatdebate

Frank Row (1)
A: Kambala Beats Shore
B: Queenwood beats Grammar
C: Joeys beat Abbotsleigh
D: Scots vs PLC will be interesting no idea who will win that one, thoughts?

Topic Area: International Relations
Interesting…
I can’t see the topic for this week in ISDA website. Where did you find it?

Debater

Herbert Moran (7)
The motion for last night in ISDA, that we should require a financial contract (prenup) in addition to a marriage certificate, was the first neg-weighted motion so far in the competition.

Important results from the round so far: Grammar beat Queenwood and SCEGGS lost to Tangara in Pool B. St Aloysius, Joeys, Scots and Riverview are all still undefeated.

Ruck You

Frank Row (1)
Round 6 - Law & Order
The pick of this round :
D - View v Scots - the winner should top this pool
C - Joeys v Barker - another decider
B - Queenwood v SCEGGS
A- Kambala v Loreto

Eastside Week 4 Check-In:

So far the major surprise has to be Scot's performance, currently sitting on top of the table undefeated alongside Grammar. The other surprise is SGHS who haven't won a debate so far (though their opponents have been Grammar and SBHS). Current standings are as follows:

1. Grammar 3/3
2. Scots 3/3
3. SBHS 2/3
4. Reddam 1/3
5. Rose Bay 1/3
6. SCEGGS 1/2
7. Cranbrook 0/3
8. SGHS 0/2

Week 4 Predictions (Topic Area - Politics):

Grammar vs SBHS: This is easily the debate of the round and will give us a good indication about these two teams. I'm tipping SBHS to win this one mainly because this should be their 1sts team vs Grammar's 3rds team.

Rose Bay vs SCEGGS: This is a relatively one-sided debate in my opinion, SCEGGS should be able to deal with Rose Bay pretty easily.

Reddam vs SGHS: Both of these relatively strong teams are struggling so far although their losses have been against very strong opponents (Reddam losing against SCEGGS and Grammar, SGHS losing against Grammar and SBHS). I think that this is a very important test for SGHS, if they lose this it may be an indication of a weaker year for them. However, I do think that they will win this one.

Cranbrook vs TSC: I don't see any reason for Scot's great form to stop as they face a weak Cranbrook team who have lost 3 in a row including to Rose Bay.

Just a reminder that pretty much all information for Eastside can be found here:

B

BobJones

Eastside Week 4 Check-In:

So far the major surprise has to be Scot's performance, currently sitting on top of the table undefeated alongside Grammar. The other surprise is SGHS who haven't won a debate so far (though their opponents have been Grammar and SBHS). Current standings are as follows:

1. Grammar 3/3
2. Scots 3/3
3. SBHS 2/3
4. Reddam 1/3
5. Rose Bay 1/3
6. SCEGGS 1/2
7. Cranbrook 0/3
8. SGHS 0/2

Week 4 Predictions (Topic Area - Politics):

Grammar vs SBHS: This is easily the debate of the round and will give us a good indication about these two teams. I'm tipping SBHS to win this one mainly because this should be their 1sts team vs Grammar's 3rds team.

Rose Bay vs SCEGGS: This is a relatively one-sided debate in my opinion, SCEGGS should be able to deal with Rose Bay pretty easily.

Reddam vs SGHS: Both of these relatively strong teams are struggling so far although their losses have been against very strong opponents (Reddam losing against SCEGGS and Grammar, SGHS losing against Grammar and SBHS). I think that this is a very important test for SGHS, if they lose this it may be an indication of a weaker year for them. However, I do think that they will win this one.

Cranbrook vs TSC: I don't see any reason for Scot's great form to stop as they face a weak Cranbrook team who have lost 3 in a row including to Rose Bay.

Just a reminder that pretty much all information for Eastside can be found here:
Scots are looking weirdly good, undefeated both ISDA and Eastside. Wonder what happened they usually are pretty bad and don’t think they have any good speakers…

DebatingNerd

Allen Oxlade (6)
Scots are looking weirdly good, undefeated both ISDA and Eastside. Wonder what happened they usually are pretty bad and don’t think they have any good speakers…
Never underestimate schools. If the GPS season last year taught us anything it's that. Both High and Grammar had strong teams that were both stacked with Nationals, State and Representative debaters which speaks to the immense strength of their teams. They both got defeated fair and square by a Joey's side that went on to win the premiership for the first time in decades. Hearing that 6 years ago would be bonkers but it goes to shows underdogs can definitely rise from the dirt!

thatWasToSay

Stan Wickham (3)
I would disagree that Scots don't have any good speakers. In particular, they have an exceptional responsive speaker who got a NSW callback. GPS looks to be wide open this year, with the favourites highly unclear, so I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Scots contending for the shield come the end of term 3.

thatWasToSay

Stan Wickham (3)
GPS is shaping up to be quite interesting this year. There's no real standout favourites like we've had in other years, however some traditionally weaker schools look to be strong. This could lead to a very competitive GPS where anyone of 6 schools could potentially be in with a shot.

Riverview, Joeys and Scots are all undefeated in ISDA, with Grammar and Shore both having lost only once.

Sydney Boys High are always a threat as well, although given they participate in Eastside it can be hard to grasp their strength early in the year. The Round 1 loss to Scots 3rds will have them worried, although Eastside hasn't historically been a great indicator of how Sydney Boys will perform in GPS.

The depth of quality in GPS this year could lead to the most exciting and hotly contested GPS season we've seen in a while, and I for one have absolutely no idea who I'm picking as favourites.

DebatingNerd

Allen Oxlade (6)
GPS is shaping up to be quite interesting this year. There's no real standout favourites like we've had in other years, however some traditionally weaker schools look to be strong. This could lead to a very competitive GPS where anyone of 6 schools could potentially be in with a shot.

Riverview, Joeys and Scots are all undefeated in ISDA, with Grammar and Shore both having lost only once.

Sydney Boys High are always a threat as well, although given they participate in Eastside it can be hard to grasp their strength early in the year. The Round 1 loss to Scots 3rds will have them worried, although Eastside hasn't historically been a great indicator of how Sydney Boys will perform in GPS.

The depth of quality in GPS this year could lead to the most exciting and hotly contested GPS season we've seen in a while, and I for one have absolutely no idea who I'm picking as favourites.
This too is very true. Honestly speaking, if I were to make a prediction now for GPS at the moment I'm guessing it'll be between Joey's, Grammar or High. I've chosen Joey’s because they won 2s last year, have proven to have a line-up deep in quality and I think its safe to say they’ve exceeded on the circuit’s expectations by miles – they may be able to, and are looking like they have the potential to keep it up this year. Grammar and High (duh) because institutionally, they always offer up strong teams, have strong coaching programmes and regiments and have their fair share of Reps levels debaters as usual.

Debater

Herbert Moran (7)
Alexia Rigoni
Anhaar Kareem
Darshanik Aryal
Eamonn O'Loughlin
Helena Piazza
Iris Lee
Jason Lin
Jehiel Pather
Michael Kwak
Nara Gong
Nikki Han
Oliver Hoang

Romanforum

Frank Nicholson (4)
From what we can see in this round, we might have 3 undefeated teams at the end of the pool stage ( joeys, Scot’s, st aloysius), has this ever happened before ?

octos shaping up could be:
A1 St aloysius v D4 Kincoppal/PLC
B1 Grammar v C4 Monte/abbotsleigh
C1 Joeys v B4 Sceggs
D1 Scots v A4 Kambala/ St Andrews
A2 shore v D3 Pymble
B2 Knox v C3 Abbotsleigh/monte
C2 Barker v B3 Queenwood
D2 View v A3 St andrews/Kambala

The top seeds should all get through but there is a potential upset in Joeys v sceggs.

One half of the finals draw has St Aloysius, Joeys and View, with Joeys v View in the quarter. The other half has Grammar, Scots and Barker with Barker v Scots in the quarter. Grammar and St Aloysius could have the clearest path to the semi finals. Are they on track for a 2021 grand final rematch ?

B

BobJones

From what we can see in this round, we might have 3 undefeated teams at the end of the pool stage ( joeys, Scot’s, st aloysius), has this ever happened before ?

octos shaping up could be:
A1 St aloysius v D4 Kincoppal/PLC
B1 Grammar v C4 Monte/abbotsleigh
C1 Joeys v B4 Sceggs
D1 Scots v A4 Kambala/ St Andrews
A2 shore v D3 Pymble
B2 Knox v C3 Abbotsleigh/monte
C2 Barker v B3 Queenwood
D2 View v A3 St andrews/Kambala

The top seeds should all get through but there is a potential upset in Joeys v sceggs.

One half of the finals draw has St Aloysius, Joeys and View, with Joeys v View in the quarter. The other half has Grammar, Scots and Barker with Barker v Scots in the quarter. Grammar and St Aloysius could have the clearest path to the semi finals. Are they on track for a 2021 grand final rematch ?
What was the result of Scots vs View?