• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools Debating 2023

Debater

Herbert Moran (7)
From what we can see in this round, we might have 3 undefeated teams at the end of the pool stage ( joeys, Scot’s, st aloysius), has this ever happened before ?

octos shaping up could be:
A1 St aloysius v D4 Kincoppal/PLC
B1 Grammar v C4 Monte/abbotsleigh
C1 Joeys v B4 Sceggs
D1 Scots v A4 Kambala/ St Andrews
A2 shore v D3 Pymble
B2 Knox v C3 Abbotsleigh/monte
C2 Barker v B3 Queenwood
D2 View v A3 St andrews/Kambala

The top seeds should all get through but there is a potential upset in Joeys v sceggs.

One half of the finals draw has St Aloysius, Joeys and View, with Joeys v View in the quarter. The other half has Grammar, Scots and Barker with Barker v Scots in the quarter. Grammar and St Aloysius could have the clearest path to the semi finals. Are they on track for a 2021 grand final rematch ?
How does the finals system work? Would someone be able to graph it out to explain? As in how does each team get to the grand final and who do they go against?

B

BobJones

How does the finals system work? Would someone be able to graph it out to explain? As in how does each team get to the grand final and who do they go against?
Thoughts on the ISDA results of this week?

DebatingNerd

Allen Oxlade (6)
Alexia Rigoni
Anhaar Kareem
Darshanik Aryal
Eamonn O'Loughlin
Helena Piazza
Iris Lee
Jason Lin
Jehiel Pather
Michael Kwak
Nara Gong
Nikki Han
Oliver Hoang
Looks like another good group of talent again this year! I’m assuming State Team will be captained by Darshanik Aryal, he’s currently probably the best speaker (at a HS level) in the State and has been State Team/Reserve since Year 10.

Fingers crossed the team this year, under Udai Kamath and Sophie Shead (fantastic coaches no doubt), can finally bring the Nationals Trophy back to NSW! It’s been a while. ☹

Last year, the turbo-powered State Team consisting of Jules Bako, Jack Story, Toby Mok and Darshanik Aryal who made up a half of the Australian contingent unfortunately just missed out in the Grand Final. That probably speaks to the improved quality of other States on the circuit so we can’t get complacent this year, especially given a lot of the brightest talent on the NSW schools circuit has moved onto better things on the bigger, brighter, more prestigious stage of university debating. But I’m sure this year’s team will do us proud nonetheless.

In terms of Representative Teams, does anyone have any early calls? May be a controversial pick, but I’m calling it between CHS or Archdale this year. Archdale because they have a deep pool of talent including Nikki Han (Queenwood, 12), Helena Piazza (SCEGGS, 12) and Charlotte Allan (Abbotsleigh, 12). From what I’ve heard they also performed well last year, particularly in their Seconds meaning they have a good reserve of talent to call up. Their coaches last year also spoke high praise of them. CHS because they won last year and have a pretty bloody strong reserve of debaters to also call up that are leftover from last year’s winning contingent such as Darshanik Aryal (James Ruse, 12), Alexia Rigoni (Cammergayl, 12) and Abrar Chowdhury (SBHS, 12). But most of their SB/SG powered team last year consisting of Neva Mikulic (SGHS), Tim Hanna (SBHS) and Archie Wolifson (SBHS) have moved onto the uni debating scene at USYD. And their coaching regiment is always strong. They have talent in the Year 11s coming to the fore this year – particularly from SGHS. Their Year 11s should be strong this year, a good number of them made callbacks this year and Anhaar Kareem debates for them now. We could see more good stuff coming from SGHS in the near future!
I'm leaving out GPS for now because I legitimately don't have much clue as to what the teams may look like this year. I know Grammar has good talent (as usual) in the form of Kasra Roushan, Remy Sloan and the illustrious Aidan Woo’s (maybe sweatier?) little brother James Woo. Joeys has lost Xavier Leaver from their underdog winning side last year so GPS won’t have him this year but their Year 11 GPS Seconds winning side should have some strong talent. Matt Toomey’s done fantastic things with their program. All-in-all, don't have much of a clue what the Reps side for GPS will shape up to look like this year.

Less super-powered debaters/debating sides could be a good thing this year to be honest. It’s kind of fun not being able to call everything from the get-go and having there being a good tussle between all the schools.

Romanforum

Peter Burge (5)
Fingers crossed the team this year, under Udai Kamath and Sophie Shead (fantastic coaches no doubt), can finally bring the Nationals Trophy back to NSW! It’s been a while. ☹

Last year, the turbo-powered State Team consisting of Jules Bako, Jack Story, Toby Mok and Darshanik Aryal who made up a half of the Australian contingent unfortunately just missed out in the Grand Final. That probably speaks to the improved quality of other States on the circuit so we can’t get complacent this year, especially given a lot of the brightest talent on the NSW schools circuit has moved onto better things on the bigger, brighter, more prestigious stage of university debating. But I’m sure this year’s team will do us proud nonetheless.

In terms of Representative Teams, does anyone have any early calls? May be a controversial pick, but I’m calling it between CHS or Archdale this year. Archdale because they have a deep pool of talent including Nikki Han (Queenwood, 12), Helena Piazza (SCEGGS, 12) and Charlotte Allan (Abbotsleigh, 12). From what I’ve heard they also performed well last year, particularly in their Seconds meaning they have a good reserve of talent to call up. Their coaches last year also spoke high praise of them. CHS because they won last year and have a pretty bloody strong reserve of debaters to also call up that are leftover from last year’s winning contingent such as Darshanik Aryal (James Ruse, 12), Alexia Rigoni (Cammergayl, 12) and Abrar Chowdhury (SBHS, 12). But most of their SB/SG powered team last year consisting of Neva Mikulic (SGHS), Tim Hanna (SBHS) and Archie Wolifson (SBHS) have moved onto the uni debating scene at USYD. And their coaching regiment is always strong. They have talent in the Year 11s coming to the fore this year – particularly from SGHS. Their Year 11s should be strong this year, a good number of them made callbacks this year and Anhaar Kareem debates for them now. We could see more good stuff coming from SGHS in the near future!
I'm leaving out GPS for now because I legitimately don't have much clue as to what the teams may look like this year. I know Grammar has good talent (as usual) in the form of Kasra Roushan, Remy Sloan and the illustrious Aidan Woo’s (maybe sweatier?) little brother James Woo. Joeys has lost Xavier Leaver from their underdog winning side last year so GPS won’t have him this year but their Year 11 GPS Seconds winning side should have some strong talent. Matt Toomey’s done fantastic things with their program. All-in-all, don't have much of a clue what the Reps side for GPS will shape up to look like this year.

Less super-powered debaters/debating sides could be a good thing this year to be honest. It’s kind of fun not being able to call everything from the get-go and having there being a good tussle between all the schools.
That’s a great summary, thanks so much.

i think the GPS rep team will have 1x Riverview, 1x Scots with the other spot either Joeys or Grammar. It will be a very good team as evidenced by ISDA results thus far. Not convinced about the archdale/igsa team based on isda form - Sceggs/Abb may just scrape into octos and if queenwood lose this week they may be relying on margin to qualify.
Agree that CHS on paper is the team to beat given the depth of talent inc the year 11’s coming through. The CAS team will have a NSW debater as second with the other spots filled most likely by St Aloysius given their undefeated CAS and ISDA runs.

agree the uncertainty is what makes it exciting.

Last edited:

DebatingNerd

Allen Oxlade (6)

i think the GPS rep team will have 1x Riverview, 1x Scots with the other spot either Joeys or Grammar. It will be a very good team as evidenced by ISDA results thus far. Not convinced about the archdale/igsa team based on isda form - Sceggs/Abb may just scrape into octos and if queenwood lose this week they may be relying on margin to qualify.
Agree that CHS on paper is the team to beat given the depth of talent inc the year 11’s coming through. The CAS team will have a NSW debater as second with the other spots filled most likely by St Aloysius given their undefeated CAS and ISDA runs.

Oh yeah that is true, forgot for a minute that Scots have had a pretty good run so far in ISDA and are always strong. Honestly, my picks for the GPS 1s team is the same as yours - it indeed will be strong as usual. But, we could definitely see a representative from Joey's make it too - don't forget they're a top form team on the circuit now! I think people would have found that rather hard to believe about 6 years ago, when debating on a Friday night used to be punishment for their Y7 boys that skipped rugby training xD (I don't know if that myth is true but it would be bloody funny if it were).

It should be noted that CHS 1s were able to beat the absolutely busted Jack Story/Toby Mok combo in GPS 1s last year.
This year, with Darshanik taking the stern of the boat, a strong Y12 group from last year and new talent flooding in at the gates - they are definitely where I'm going to be placing my bets this season.

Debater

Herbert Moran (7)
Thoughts on the ISDA results of this week?
Motion appears to have been 2/3rds neg wins. I haven't put in the wording because I cannot remember what it was exactly. Overall we now have two teams guarantee which position they will be in for finals. I'll keep adding them as we find out in the finals section. Everyone is free to help so long as you put in the guaranteed team.

B

BobJones

Who from Scots and View u thinking?

Romanforum

Peter Burge (5)
Whilst joeys and aloysius kick back this week with a bucket of popcorn having secured top spot,we see a mad round 7 scramble:

A: shore and St Andrew’s fighting for second spot whilst everyone else except Brigidine fights for 4th where they probably then face a rampaging Scots in the Octos.

B: grammar v Knox fight for top spot, whilst queenwood could be in a sudden death match v ascham if sceggs win.

C: barker safe but everyone else fighting for 3rd and 4th spots except Newington, the reward, Joeys in Octos.

D: without knowing recent results, this pool could still see 3 teams with 6 wins if Pymble keeps winning, inc beating Scots in the postponed debate. Kincoppal probably 4th where they have to face the St Aloysius juggernaut in Octos.

Some will know their fate tomorrow night, others have an agonising 1 month wait. Good luck to all!

i-debate

Allen Oxlade (6)
Whilst joeys and aloysius kick back this week with a bucket of popcorn having secured top spot,we see a mad round 7 scramble:

A: shore and St Andrew’s fighting for second spot whilst everyone else except Brigidine fights for 4th where they probably then face a rampaging Scots in the Octos.

B: grammar v Knox fight for top spot, whilst queenwood could be in a sudden death match v ascham if sceggs win.

C: barker safe but everyone else fighting for 3rd and 4th spots except Newington, the reward, Joeys in Octos.

D: without knowing recent results, this pool could still see 3 teams with 6 wins if Pymble keeps winning, inc beating Scots in the postponed debate. Kincoppal probably 4th where they have to face the St Aloysius juggernaut in Octos.

Some will know their fate tomorrow night, others have an agonising 1 month wait. Good luck to all!
Thoughts on the hardest/ easiest pool ?

Debater

Herbert Moran (7)
Thoughts on the hardest/ easiest pool ?
I would say Pool B looks by far the hardest pool. Maybe C or D for the easiest. It is unclear with adjudications and sometimes teams can just have a bad day. Also can't tell since there have been no inter pool debates yet.

i-debate

Allen Oxlade (6)
I would say Pool B looks by far the hardest pool. Maybe C or D for the easiest. It is unclear with adjudications and sometimes teams can just have a bad day. Also can't tell since there have been no inter pool debates yet.thanks. So Grammar to win ISDA again, who else can win it ?
So Grammar to probably win it again. Who are the main threats ?

B

BobJones

So Grammar to probably win it again. Who are the main threats ?
From Pool A: Alos are looking strong being 7/7, tho it is a weak pool.
From Pool B: Grammar is strong obv
From Pool C: Joeys are mighty continuing their undefeated streak from last year GPS.
From Pool D: I don’t think Scots are threatening, just because they don’t have any talented speakers. Would have to go for Riverview.

Overall my pick has to be Joeys, they beat Grammar’s dream team last year.

From Pool A: Alos are looking strong being 7/7, tho it is a weak pool.
From Pool B: Grammar is strong obv
From Pool C: Joeys are mighty continuing their undefeated streak from last year GPS.
From Pool D: I don’t think Scots are threatening, just because they don’t have any talented speakers. Would have to go for Riverview.

Overall my pick has to be Joeys, they beat Grammar’s dream team last year.
IMO, Aloys will easily clean up this year. Happy to hear debate on this.

Romanforum

Peter Burge (5)
Looking at the table - Aloysius, Grammar, Joeys, Scots and Riverview look the strongest. Next it’s Barker and Pymble. All should make the quarters. even if there are surprise results in octos, not sure any other team can win it.