• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools Debating 2023

There's apparently now an official spreadsheet for PDC, so if anyone is interested, they can check that out:

i-debate

Allen Oxlade (6)
I believe as other people have noted, this year Grammar is very weak compared to their normal form.
Maybe compared to other years but I think they will still win GPS and probably ISDA. Shore are not serious challengers for either and there are doubts on Scots as others have stated. Surprising there is no representation between Grammar/Joeys/View/Aloys given current form.

Romanforum

Peter Burge (5)
Maybe compared to other years but I think they will still win GPS and probably ISDA. Shore are not serious challengers for either and there are doubts on Scots as others have stated. Surprising there is no representation between Grammar/Joeys/View/Aloys given current form.
Well the coaches have made their decision so it’s time to move on to tonight’s make up round. Will Scots, Grammar, Joeys, Knox, Kings be missing any speakers tonight due to Lawrence Campbell ?

B

BobJones

What’s everyone else’s GPS predictions?
I reckon:
1. Grammar
2. View
3. High
4. Shore
5. Scots
6. Kings
7. Newington

B

BobJones

With 99% of in round results in, the overall ISDA rankings (all age groups) are as follows:
View attachment 15809

Kambala has improved significantly over the last decade. Abbotsleigh, Monte and Kings have had a bit of a fall from grace. Anyone have any other thoughts?
Joeys and Scots seem to be lacking institutional strength, despite doing well in Senior A, interesting…

i-debate

Allen Oxlade (6)
There are going to be some tricky Octo matchups for all the Pool rank 1 teams, Grammar’s looks the easiest - Monte / Cranbrook. I expect at least two upsets.

B

BobJones

There are going to be some tricky Octo matchups for all the Pool rank 1 teams, Grammar’s looks the easiest - Monte / Cranbrook. I expect at least two upsets.
Which ones are the ones you expect upsets from?

i-debate

Allen Oxlade (6)
Joeys in trouble unless it’s Ascham. (Sceggs/queenwood I think will beat them). Aloys could lose to PLC Sydney and Scots could lose to Ravenswood assuming it’s who they draw.

B

BobJones

Joeys in trouble unless it’s Ascham. (Sceggs/queenwood I think will beat them). Aloys could lose to PLC Sydney and Scots could lose to Ravenswood assuming it’s who they draw.
You reckon Scots will lose to Ravenswood? I think it’s quite likely tbh.

Debater

Herbert Moran (7)
How certain is this Octo draw ? Seems a few spots to be decided on margin. Maybe Debater can advise.
Hi yeah. So the person that has added the placings is not me, I believe it is one of the official administrators. It should be relatively accurate. Still waiting on some of the rankings as I imagine not everyone has sent in results yet.

Debater

Herbert Moran (7)
I have added finals sections for every age group if anyone is interested on filling them out based on the available information

I don’t think it’s going to change much. My money would still be on Grammar, and it looks like smooth sailing for them in the Octos.
Grammar look to be in a good position to go far into this ISDA season based off the current Octos draw and are still going strong with 6/7 from the group stage. I would think that final contention is currently between Grammar, Joeys and Aloys, but a few unexpected upsets might make it interesting.

Debater

Herbert Moran (7)
Here are my Senior A Predictions:

Side 1
Octo 1: Aloys v PLC

Octo 2: Knox v Cranbrook

Octo 3: Joeys v Queenwood

Octo 4: Riverview v St Andrews​
Side 2
Octo 5: Grammar v Monte

Octo 6: Shore v Kincoppal - Controversial l'm sure

Octo 7: Scots v Ravo

Octo 8: Barker v SCEGS​
QF 1: Aloys v Knox
A marginal pick - bit of a tossup

QF 2: Riverview v Joeys
Historically Joey's do not do well against Riverview teams (2022 being an exception). Joey's are not as strong as last year so I'd have to say View even though its undoubtedly a controversial call.​
QF 3: Grammar v Kincoppal

QF 4: Scots v Barker
Both teams have a NSW speaker but I think the rest of Barker's bench is stronger​
SF1: Riverview v Aloys
Can't call it. I'd think this would be pretty even - though Riverview has won all but one Fr Charles in the last 5 years.​
SF2: Barker v Grammar
I think Barker will knock out Grammar here (it happened in 2018) Barker have a state speaker and as much as all the Grammar diehards on here want to disagree, I just really don't think they're that good this year.​

So I'm thinking Riverview or Aloys and Barker in the GF.

As much as the adj pool hasn't been ideal this season - for reasons I think are pretty understandable (the uni scene is slowly recovering, but I don't think it'll be a problem next year) - there are only 12 adjs needed for each octo week and the quarters, 18 for the semis, and 9 for the GF. I've seen some great adjs around this season so I think adj quality won't be a concern for the finals.

Topic selection should deal with a good chunk of the topic-setting criticism - I'm starting to think it should be used for in rounds, at least in Senior A/B.
Interesting. Worth noting that some schools will get a home debate since they are hosting because they usually prioritise schools hosting their own teams regardless of where they place. SCEGGS hosts Barker and PLC hosts Aloys. Not sure if that makes a difference. Do we know if you get to veto topics this year in finals this year?