• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools - Trial Games and Selections 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecow

Ward Prentice (10)
They'll sure need them if the game concludes around 7pm. !!

The games on Tuesday are at Knox 1, Friday is at Curagul, Saturday and Sunday are at Knox 1.

Was anyone at the Opens trials today? In particular the CHS v ISA 1sts game?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The games on Tuesday are at Knox 1, Friday is at Curagul, Saturday and Sunday are at Knox 1.

Was anyone at the Opens trials today? In particular the CHS v ISA 1sts game?
CHS I were monsters compared to the ISA I's.

ISA I's ran ragged in backline. 7 tries 3 conversions to 4 tries 1 conversion.

While smaller the ISA forwards were not intimidated and "escaped" without being totally owned.

#7 CHS was a standout but the Hyena pack that was #6, #17 and #7 for ISA comprehensively outplayed their larger 6, 7, 8 opponents and set the platform for the victory.

The ISA (largly Augies) backs run like the wind, and completely bamboozeld the bigger CHS boys.

Arthur Currie #12 ISA who I have never seen before but have heard a lot about,and believe is a #8 (by trade), played a very mature game as #12 without any real evidence that he is a piggie. We should try to keep this boy in our game, as I understand that the Mungos are keen on him.

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
ISA 1s 45v CHS 1s 20, Isa 2s 38 v CCC 38

I think the score was actualy ISA 43 v CHS 22. Closer than it looks, as if CHS had potted the extra 3 conversions and 2 penalty attempts that were missed, the score would have been CHS 34. However, ISA were a very strong and determined side and certainly outclassed the CHS backs.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I agree with Sideline Eye's recount of the score.

There were a lot of points left on the paddock today due to missed conversions from both sides. I might have been distracted but my notes only show 1 missed PK by the CHS kicker (#12 Cook).

Sideline may be referring to a/several decision/s by CHS to kick for touch instead of taking a PK for goal. I have CHS as missing 3 conversions and 1 PK (9 possible points) to ISA missing 3 conversions (6 possible points).

#11 ISA (Taylor) scored both his tries right on the touch line, and the other miss from #14 ISA (Cochrane) was from the #12 (Currie) try which was about 5 m in from touch. Pretty tough assignments. One lucky conversion from #14 dropped on to the crossbar and bounced over.

CHS
#12 CHS (Cook) was the kicker and was not given an easy task by his try scorers. #3 (Late replacement Walsh) crossed the chalk about 15 metres from touch on oranges, #8 (Warren) made it slightly easier, and #11 (O'Brien) try was very close to touch. #5 Vatuvei try on the final hooter was converted from a close angle.

ISA
Try scorers from ISA were:
#11 (Taylor) x 2, #7 (Freeman), #1 (Tukipili), #14 (Cochrane), #12 (Currie), #15 (Cotton).

Half time: ISA I 24, CHS I 5. Full time: ISA I 43 CHS I 22.

A fitting final game to a great day of footy (under 16 and Opens) at Rat Park.

Wasn't paying too much attention to the U16 scorelines, so don't ask. Just happy to see some kids having fun in the winter sun.

Roar

Herbert Moran (7)
The problem though Newbie is the $$$$ Involved in being selected in the State of Origin and yes agree he has to make his Decision as I don't think NSWSRU will say play and we will catch you later. His League Club will also be putting pressure onto him to play.
But I agree, should forget about Origin this year and concentrate on the Union.

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
I agree with Sideline Eye's recount of the score.

I might have been distracted but my notes only show 1 missed PK by the CHS kicker (#12 Cook).

Sideline may be referring to a/several decision/s by CHS to kick for touch instead of taking a PK for goal. / snip /
A fitting final game to a great day of footy (under 16 and Opens) at Rat Park.

That's correct. Thought for sure they would have taken one on offer in second half that was very doable, but went for touch instead.

Agree it was an entertaining game and a good afternoon overall.

Any predictions for next week? CHS had a hard day in the office today, but GPS are always another step up. Based on the team selections I've seen, they won't disappoint.

Roar

Herbert Moran (7)
That's correct. Thought for sure they would have taken one on offer in second half that was very doable, but went for touch instead.

Agree it was an entertaining game and a good afternoon overall.

Any predictions for nexV t week? CHS had a hard day in the office today, but GPS are always another step up. Based on the team selections I've seen, they won't disappoint.
GPS Should Win well against CHS, What about Predictions as well for ISA v CAS, especially after ISAs Great Win over CHS ??

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Don't ask me for predictions.

I had the Tahs by 3 for last night.

I had CCC to get beaten by lots.

I had CHS to win by 7-10.

WTF would I know?

Here goes anyway.

CHS will need to regroup quickly if they want to avoid a cricket score against the GPS juggernaut. GPS by lots.

CAS are doomed against GPS, although the revamp of the loosies should keep the score to less than 50. Summerhays, Burkett and Van Zyl while young and due to peak in 2014 should be able to win some pill for CAS. GPS IIs vs CAS will probably not be as big a margin as the I's, but GPS should win by lots.

CAS I v ISA I will be competitive for the first time in a few years, and I'd have to tip ISA by 10-15. In the II's ISA took a long time to get going and made plenty of mistakes today. Tip CAS II by 10.

I was really surprised by the Country result today. They should comfortably deal with their next opponents - AICES.

Similar for CCC. While there was an obvious fivekick influence in how they executed their gameplan today, they had enough boys like Ferris and Fiapuleniko in the team who seem to have the necessary rugby union smarts. They will be a handful for GPS III with their physicality and another couple of training sessions as a team under their belt. - GPS III by 5.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
My bad - I'm getting old and forgot this trial was on today; and it's just up the road from where I live.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A pity you missed it, Uncle Lee.

Rat Park was at its finest today, and Auggies and their Friends looked impressive against the physically intimidating CHS boys. The Papists did themselves credit against the ISA II's.

Thoroughly enjoyable day. Well worth the inconvenience of having to clear passport control on the Roseville Bridge.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
When are the NSW Sides Announced ?
Selections will be finalised after the last trials next Friday and news will be filtering in in this thread on Friday night.

It's usually in the paper the next morning.

Roar

Herbert Moran (7)
Selections will be finalised after the last trials next Friday and news will be filtering in in this thread on Friday night.

It's usually in the paper the next morning.
Cheers Lee, some exciting games of footy on this week.

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
Some times and venues for upcoming games:
(I don't have Tues June 18 details)

Friday 21 June
Knox Grammar (Curagul fields)
CNTY V AICES 10.30AM
GPS III V CCC 11.40AM
CAS II V ISA II 12.50AM
GPS II V CHS II 2PM
CAS I V ISA I 3.10PM
CHS I V GPS I 4.20PM

Does anyone have the updated kick-off times for the above games this Friday?

The announcer at the Rat Park games yesterday gave different / earlier times, (which is good, given the lack of lights at Curagul oval).

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
CHS I were monsters compared to the ISA I's.

ISA I's ran ragged in backline. 7 tries 3 conversions to 4 tries 1 conversion.

While smaller the ISA forwards were not intimidated and "escaped" without being totally owned.

#7 CHS was a standout but the Hyena pack that was #6, #17 and #7 for ISA comprehensively outplayed their larger 6, 7, 8 opponents and set the platform for the victory.

The ISA (largly Augies) backs run like the wind, and completely bamboozeld the bigger CHS boys.

Arthur Currie #12 ISA who I have never seen before but have heard a lot about,and believe is a #8 (by trade), played a very mature game as #12 without any real evidence that he is a piggie. We should try to keep this boy in our game, as I understand that the Mungos are keen on him.

As you say, the ISA were dwarfed by the CHS pack.I thought pretty much the entire ISA pack played tremendously.But I don't think any ISA forwards comprehensively won their "head to head"
Had the ISA backline played behind the CHS piggies,it would have been a huge win IMO.
If the form hold up, it should be a good win against CAS.

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
(Following the CASI v CHS I match at Cranbrook) Sideline Eye said:
Nice work overall from CHS. They should give GPS a good shake I reckon.
Not quite so good v ISA 1s yesterday - seemed to be a different team, so perhaps playing a tougher more aggressive side found out some flaws. Again, the CHS were vulnerable outwide with a number of ISA overlaps throughout the game. Also, some simple missed tackles in mid-field led to ISA breakouts. The CHS backs were outplayed, with a few very soft tries let through. I though the CHS forwards gave a good account of themselves and didn't take a step backwards. Great work around the ruck with good cleaning out and ball security, with a couple of good turnovers at crucial times from the hooker. The tight 5 and loosies worked hard all day and lay a good foundation at scrums, lineouts and the breakdown. Though very optimistic after the CAS match, GPS will be a bigger battle than I was originally thinking - here's hoping CHS can put it together on the day, and the goal kicker's radar is fixed by Friday.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
As you say, the ISA were dwarfed by the CHS pack.I thought pretty much the entire ISA pack played tremendously.But I don't think any ISA forwards comprehensively won their "head to head"
Had the ISA backline played behind the CHS piggies,it would have been a huge win IMO.
If the form hold up, it should be a good win against CAS.

When I mentioned the comprehensive outplaying from ISA loosies it was not on an individual head to head basis, but as a group of loose forwards. #7 CHS (Paenga-Amosa) was like a Rock of Gibraltar once he got over the ball. He will be a challenge for the GPS boys, and he could be the starting #7 for NSW I's. He probably should make sure that his passport will be valid for December this year. While CHS #6 and #8 were sound individually, I felt that they did not gel together as a group as well as the ISA loosies did, and they relied too much on their #7 to do all the hard grind.

Loved the look of the 'Fro -#4 (Vainikolo) as it has been a long time since I've seen one as good as that. (IIRC the last humdinger of a Footy 'Fro [excluding TPN and Samo] was a Manly Prop at Jnr RWC in 2008 or thereabouts). It certainly draws attention to yourself as a player, but I thought of the two 2nd rowers #5 Vatuvei was the better performer. Would like to see a Vatuvei and Anderson (ISA) pairing in the second row.

#1 ISA (Tukipuili) - IIRC was at Bally Boys High (CHS U16) last year, played a great game. Good in the scrum, although the ISA front row Fatties were probably a little out of balance compared to the CHS front rankers, and he ran with speed and aggression when he was given the Gilbert. Good pick up for ISA and and a loss for CHS.

Would love to have seen #25 CHS (Skelton - Jnr) get a go doing more than just running the water. He is a monster that boy, with the top of Vainikolo's 'Fro only coming to Skelton's shoulder, standing a good Head and Shoulders taller than anyone else on the field.

I see Uni have got hold of him into their Colts programme, and if he works hard on his game and fitness as his "little" brother Will has, we could see a Skelton/Skelton pairing in the second row at Shute Shield if not Tahs some time in the future.

After the big victory against CAS, were the CHS boys a little overconfident given recent years ISA record?

They certainly looked a bit shellshocked to be 24 points down at the 25 minute mark of the first stanza. They rallied well to grab a meat pie on the stroke of 1/2 time, and with the gap reduced to 2 converted tries at the 14 minute mark of the 2nd half, there was a glimmer of hope, but the needed two tries were scored in quick succession by their opposition.

I was impressed with the CHS piggies tactic of going for the static maul to create a scrum turnover. While ISA tried to do similar, the CHS team got a lot of good ball turnovers this way. Possibly the benefits of their time on tour in NZ earlier in the year.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
3 good & competitive games yesterday.
Country without any big stars , on paper , played with their customary enthusiasm , which we see each year, but this time had enough skill to gain a clear & deserved win.
A couple of boys still in contention for the shadow NSW group at this stage.The bigger C HS team clearly out enthused , & looked flat.

Gone are the days when CCC are going to get a hiding at this carnival , as was the case last year , they gelled well together as a team , a credit to their coach ,& surprised many
with their level of ability.I watched their trials at St Gregory's a couple of weeks ago , & didn't see much of an indication that they had much individually , but the players that
have been selected have come together really well.This is going to be a much stronger group in the years to come.

ISA just too fast & energetic for CHS. I agree with most of the summaries above , CHS certainly bigger in the forwards , but ISA had a couple of pretty hefty blokes themselves however. ISA played with speed & variation in possession , CHS looking repetitive & predictable in the backs , with only short periods when they looked dangerous.

I can't end without special mention of the ISA no 10, (Matt Arnold )who pretty much orchestrated the whole game.
In my view , he was the standout player in all of the 3 games today , & looks certain to be in one of the upcoming NSW teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.