• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools - Trial Games and Selections 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
For all the new folk overly concerned about the numbers game, and who is in what team, it's time to learn about Hugh's Law that states there will be two players called up from Shadow due to injuries between now and the Tournament starting, and a further two players called up during the Tournament, This will happen for both NSW and QLD squads.

I can even remember a case from 2014(IIRC) where a late call up for Combined States ended up playing for both CS, and NSW I on the last day, during the same tournament after the Team Rehab selectors had a field day with props getting injured.

Short Ball

Allen Oxlade (6)
<snip>

Sorry had to put this up he had a great trial..We drove 1600km a week to be there..I went to the Wrong school he said to me..he has taken it on the chin and will be at Randwick Colts next year..Thank you for your fair comments.Inside Shoulder..One Question please don't take this wrong just a parent helping a son get his dream..would other players at the trial have this type of CV ? Thanks

The reality is, AAGPS 1st XV is the best Under 18's comp (in terms of standard of play) in Australia. Your son is right in a sense that he went to the wrong school. However when it comes down to it, there were probably just better players at trials. But the good news is that making a state team or Aus schoolboys etc. means pretty close to nothing in the broader scope of a rugby career. Your son's on the smaller end for an 18's loose forward so my money would be on him being a late bloomer. Good luck to him with the Wicks.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
<snip>One Question <snip>..would other players at the trial have this type of CV ? Thanks
Remember that selections are just someone's opinion's on the day.
Selectors get things wrong as often as they get things right.

If your lad gets stuck into his fitness over the next few years at the Wix, anything could happen.

In Colts, going to the right school may initially open a door or two and give you a favorable selection in the trial matches, but if the fancy schoolboy scrapbook is not backed up with solid onfield performances, the player will quickly find themselves warming the pine in the lower grades.

Colts footy is 18 rounds with 3 or 4 weeks of finals (if the team does well). It is hard to continue to be selected in run on Colts 1s (or lower grades) purely on reputation. There has to be substance. Same for the Under 20's program.

Not making it to NSW Schools, Combined States, or Aust Schoolboys will not prevent further advancement.

In 2014 Lukhan Lealaiauloto-Tui played for CHS 2's and missed out on NSW and Combined States selection. Think he may have played for CHS 1's in their final match against AAGPS. He was an injury call up for Combined States, and had a rather unremarkable tournament for them. Someone saw some quality in the quantity of size he had, and in 2015 he was selected for NSW and Aust U20 as an 18 year old, and landed a Reds contract before the Colts season 2015 finished.

If you are good enough, you're good enough, regardless what one or more groups of selectors may have said in the past.

Good luck to your lad at the Randi-Wix next year.

oldboy1950

Frank Row (1)
The reality is, AAGPS 1st XV is the best Under 18's comp (in terms of standard of play) in Australia. Your son is right in a sense that he went to the wrong school. However when it comes down to it, there were probably just better players at trials. But the good news is that making a state team or Aus schoolboys etc. means pretty close to nothing in the broader scope of a rugby career. Your son's on the smaller end for an 18's loose forward so my money would be on him being a late bloomer. Good luck to him with the Wicks.

Thank you for your reply..just so you know He played Position 5 not loose over the trials. And yes working on weight..Cheers

oldboy1950

Frank Row (1)
Remember that selections are just someone's opinion's on the day.
Selectors get things wrong as often as they get things right.

If your lad gets stuck into his fitness over the next few years at the Wix, anything could happen.

In Colts, going to the right school may initially open a door or two and give you a favorable selection in the trial matches, but if the fancy schoolboy scrapbook is not backed up with solid onfield performances, the player will quickly find themselves warming the pine in the lower grades.

Colts footy is 18 rounds with 3 or 4 weeks of finals (if the team does well). It is hard to continue to be selected in run on Colts 1s (or lower grades) purely on reputation. There has to be substance. Same for the Under 20's program.

Not making it to NSW Schools, Combined States, or Aust Schoolboys will not prevent further advancement.

In 2014 Lukhan Lealaiauloto-Tui played for CHS 2's and missed out on NSW and Combined States selection. Think he may have played for CHS 1's in their final match against AAGPS. He was an injury call up for Combined States, and had a rather unremarkable tournament for them. Someone saw some quality in the quantity of size he had, and in 2015 he was selected for NSW and Aust U20 as an 18 year old, and landed a Reds contract before the Colts season 2015 finished.

If you are good enough, you're good enough, regardless what one or more groups of selectors may have said in the past.

Good luck to your lad at the Randi-Wix next year.
Thank you for your words of support and information.cheers

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
<snip>

Sorry had to put this up he had a great trial..We drove 1600km a week to be there..I went to the Wrong school he said to me..he has taken it on the chin and will be at Randwick Colts next year..Thank you for your fair comments.Inside Shoulder..One Question please don't take this wrong just a parent helping a son get his dream..would other players at the trial have this type of CV ? Thanks

There is a lot of information in here which indicates just as much potential for rugby success as his opponents who scored rep jerseys this year. Leadership, mateship, and playing against men already will have built a strong base for your son to build on. Weight training, skills development, and focus on a specific position will help his progress. Family support, a major factor at this age, is obvious. I have seen many 1st grade Shute Shield players who didn't play schoolboy reps so make sure he has a long term plan.
My only bit of advice would be for him to read the Honey Badger's autobiography for tips on what shenanigans a young Randwick bloke can get up to in SORRY I meant where to get cheap midweek steaks and a Sunday roast special.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
Thank you for y

Thank you for your reply..just so you know He played Position 5 not loose over the trials. And yes working on weight..Cheers

@Oldboy 1950 if he played 5 for CHS II he played a blinder against GPS.
I wrote a short match report for the blog but wasn't used as 2 were written. But I will post it below for anyone interested, but 5 for CHSII caught my eye.

The problem is he is probably 10 kg too light for a lock at state level. For a loose position he was never going to be selected because of the excess of talent competing, And if he wasn't trialing in a loose position I don't think he would get any consideration. I posted somewhere about Scots 7 Green not making selection - and he has been the absolute standout 7 in GPS (he is now in CS squad).

Its tough as there would be plenty of disappointed boys (and fathers) across all associations,

At the end of the day he played in a team well beaten and that wasn't going to help his cause either.

GPS II vs CHS II

GPS II came into the match with the narrowest of losses inflicted by a very talented CAS team. CHS 11 had suffered an earlier close loss to CCC but had a convincing win over AICES last Sunday.

From the outset it looked like GPS had turned up to play this week and the demons from the CAS game had been excised.
In what turned out to be a high scoring game (for GPS 11) the talent from the GPS really shone through.

The GPS forwards were doing a very fine job up front, making good inroads into CHS defences. GPS had a better scrum and lineout and presented a very stable base for the backs to work off.
The first try was a forward effort to the Lock 5 Silk. Then tries to 10 Kunzel, and then late edition to the team 23 Rixon playing on the wing.

Half Time Score 19-0 to GPS11

Floodgates began to open in the second half. From the kickoff. Rixon leapt high to regather the start and set up probably the best try of the game with a blitzing run and connecting with the support eventuating with 3 Cutler crashing over.
Tries then to replacement 8 Lawson, 14 Smealie then bagged 2 tries off the wing. Rixon was not to be out done and scored again and Silk bagged a late try to finish the match.

CHS11 remained scoreless, which was not a fair indication of their effort. CHS had their chances and were unluckly not get over the stripe on at least 2 occasions. CHS 11 had one standout play from a restart with the big No 5 Gifford regathered and tried to emulate Rixon and CHS went so close to scoring what would have been a well-deserved try.

FINAL SCORE 61-0

Players
For GPS there were good players across the park, but 5 Silk had a very strong game bagging 2 tries. Rixon was brilliant given any space at all, and did everything to impress the selectors with his speed. No 11 Lachie Day deserves a mention for some great t work in defense and attack but his Goal kicking was special with only 1 missed conversion.

For CHS 11 the two Locks (4 Kemp & 5 Gifford) toiled all game and both made some good line breaks, Great service by halfback 9 Lewis and 10 Carberry was probably their best back.

Congratulations to players who made the NSW Squad: Tom Osborne, Frank Cutler, Rory Suttor, Tom Silk, Kyle Brown, Oliver Smealie, Luke Rixon and Nigel Lawson All GPS

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
In that case, I gather from this thread that the central coast is in Manly.

Point me to this post. The only thing resembling this was a question from one person. I'd have thought that if someone was unsure and they asked a question (based on where an older sibling played colts), that was a long way from asserting that the boy in question was from anywhere.

You'll notice that no one disputed that the boy came from the Central Coast when the question was answered. No one from Manly claimed him at all.

oldboy1950

Frank Row (1)
@Oldboy 1950 if he played 5 for CHS II he played a blinder against GPS.
I wrote a short match report for the blog but wasn't used as 2 were written. But I will post it below for anyone interested, but 5 for CHSII caught my eye.

The problem is he is probably 10 kg too light for a lock at state level. For a loose position he was never going to be selected because of the excess of talent competing, And if he wasn't trialing in a loose position I don't think he would get any consideration. I posted somewhere about Scots 7 Green not making selection - and he has been the absolute standout 7 in GPS (he is now in CS squad).

Its tough as there would be plenty of disappointed boys (and fathers) across all associations,

At the end of the day he played in a team well beaten and that wasn't going to help his cause either.

GPS II vs CHS II

GPS II came into the match with the narrowest of losses inflicted by a very talented CAS team. CHS 11 had suffered an earlier close loss to CCC but had a convincing win over AICES last Sunday.

From the outset it looked like GPS had turned up to play this week and the demons from the CAS game had been excised.
In what turned out to be a high scoring game (for GPS 11) the talent from the GPS really shone through.

The GPS forwards were doing a very fine job up front, making good inroads into CHS defences. GPS had a better scrum and lineout and presented a very stable base for the backs to work off.
The first try was a forward effort to the Lock 5 Silk. Then tries to 10 Kunzel, and then late edition to the team 23 Rixon playing on the wing.

Half Time Score 19-0 to GPS11

Floodgates began to open in the second half. From the kickoff. Rixon leapt high to regather the start and set up probably the best try of the game with a blitzing run and connecting with the support eventuating with 3 Cutler crashing over.
Tries then to replacement 8 Lawson, 14 Smealie then bagged 2 tries off the wing. Rixon was not to be out done and scored again and Silk bagged a late try to finish the match.

CHS11 remained scoreless, which was not a fair indication of their effort. CHS had their chances and were unluckly not get over the stripe on at least 2 occasions. CHS 11 had one standout play from a restart with the big No 5 Gifford regathered and tried to emulate Rixon and CHS went so close to scoring what would have been a well-deserved try.

FINAL SCORE 61-0

Players
For GPS there were good players across the park, but 5 Silk had a very strong game bagging 2 tries. Rixon was brilliant given any space at all, and did everything to impress the selectors with his speed. No 11 Lachie Day deserves a mention for some great t work in defense and attack but his Goal kicking was special with only 1 missed conversion.

For CHS 11 the two Locks (4 Kemp & 5 Gifford) toiled all game and both made some good line breaks, Great service by halfback 9 Lewis and 10 Carberry was probably their best back.

Congratulations to players who made the NSW Squad: Tom Osborne, Frank Cutler, Rory Suttor, Tom Silk, Kyle Brown, Oliver Smealie, Luke Rixon and Nigel Lawson All GPS

Thank you for your reply . and yes he played 5 CHS2.. he got a wet meat pie at Aices game. and did as much as he could against a top GPS team. Thanks again for words and keep an eye out for the lad he will never say die.Rugby is his passion. Im just glad he's going to Randwick soon it's been very hard on my wallet of the passed 11 years..lol

OAUI

Allen Oxlade (6)
Never knew Frost played for Gordon? Haven't seen his name in any representative rugby over the years, i might be wrong.
Mr Touch Finder
Frost last I knew as a young bloke was playing juniors at Hornsby. Once at Knox may have given away juniors. Silk I thought a Lane Cove boy ? Not aware of him playing any rep rugby for Norths in the two relevant age groups but Lane Cove kids who missed out on selection for Gordon sometimes sort opportunities at Norths.

redblack

Larry Dwyer (12)
Never knew Frost played for Gordon? Haven't seen his name in any representative rugby over the years, i might be wrong.
Mr Touch Finder
Frost last I knew as a young bloke was playing juniors at Hornsby. Once at Knox may have given away juniors. Silk I thought a Lane Cove boy ? Not aware of him playing any rep rugby for Norths in the two relevant age groups but Lane Cove kids who missed out on selection for Gordon sometimes sort opportunities at Norths.
Spot on Oaui_

On Hornsby Juniors website -

District Gordon U12 Representative Team
FROST, NICK
RORKE, CHARLIE
SPENCER, LUKE

redblack

Larry Dwyer (12)
Thank you for your reply . and yes he played 5 CHS2.. he got a wet meat pie at Aices game. and did as much as he could against a top GPS team. Thanks again for words and keep an eye out for the lad he will never say die.Rugby is his passion. Im just glad he's going to Randwick soon it's been very hard on my wallet of the passed 11 years..lol

As a wise man on this forum often says "cream will always rise to the top". I have a mate from the bush whose son could not even get a go in one of the CHS teams , he studied hard and then like your young bloke went to the city to play colts. 2 years later he's still playing 1sts colts and is in the gen blue program.
His years playing in the tough country rugby comp with the big strong farm lads prepared him physically for colts and he seems to be enjoying his rugby more than ever.
I hope your young bloke keeps his dream alive.

George Grant

Ward Prentice (10)
Mr Touch Finder

Silk was always overlooked for Gordon rep selection, and mostly general rep selection. However 1 year he did play for Norths

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OldColt

Sydney Middleton (9)
<snip>

And I daresay the 'wicks have promised him a starting spot in 1sts Colts next year.....

I'm sorry for your son's disappointment, but don't be surprised if it continues next year when he likely plays 3rds Colts because they'll have recruited half a dozen other players in his position and promised them starting spots in 1sts as well!

loiterer

Sydney Middleton (9)
Point me to this post. The only thing resembling this was a question from one person. I'd have thought that if someone was unsure and they asked a question (based on where an older sibling played colts), that was a long way from asserting that the boy in question was from anywhere.

You'll notice that no one disputed that the boy came from the Central Coast when the question was answered. No one from Manly claimed him at all.
Mate, I like a good sledge as much as anyone, I was responding to your comment about shopping at Chatswood Chase being enough to be considered a Gordon junior. Getting into the Gordon district team can be difficult with 8 village clubs and some good players are happy just to play for their village club.
As for geographic areas, kids often want to move clubs to play with school mates. Gordon has 2 CAS schools and 1 IAS and 1 GPS in its district as well as kids that go to other CAS and GPS schools, not that surprising if kids are moving there from other districts

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Mate, I like a good sledge as much as anyone, I was responding to your comment about shopping at Chatswood Chase being enough to be considered a Gordon junior. Getting into the Gordon district team can be difficult with 8 village clubs and some good players are happy just to play for their village club.
As for geographic areas, kids often want to move clubs to play with school mates. Gordon has 2 CAS schools and 1 IAS and 1 GPS in its district as well as kids that go to other CAS and GPS schools, not that surprising if kids are moving there from other districts

No worries. The Chatswood Chase comment did come from someone else though.:)

Dingasden

Ward Prentice (10)
And I daresay the 'wicks have promised him a starting spot in 1sts Colts next year...

I'm sorry for your son's disappointment, but don't be surprised if it continues next year when he likely plays 3rds Colts because they'll have recruited half a dozen other players in his position and promised them starting spots in 1sts as well!
Yep I hear this all the time.
"But you promised...."
"....Yes well son circumstances have changed a bit".

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Sometimes kids only listen to the bit that they wanted to hear.

Sometimes the conversations are held with someone who knows someone rather than the someone at the club authorised to make such arrangements.

W

Waratahs1234

I'm surprised that only 2 of the CCC lads made it into combined states. I would have thought that their back row would have been selected in the team. They ran rings around the majority of players at all three trials.

Status
Not open for further replies.