• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools Under 16 Championships - 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
IS Ithink that the important thing is that the SJRU Selection committee be independent. I would hate that this fellow would be allowed into the room or have any input when his son is involved. Lets forget about his inappropriate speech. Im sure the SJRU would keep it all separate. Surely its a professional organisation.

I hope you're right

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Really?

Would you like a wager on Sydney beating NSW Schools?

Without the teams being announced, unless you have some inside knowledge of the conclave that is the annual festival of selectorial magnificence that is the back room horse trading undertaken by Schools and Juniors U16 selectors, that is a rather brave call.

Regardless of who gets "first pick", there are always surprises in the final composition of the Juniors and Schools teams.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I take it slugga thinks the better side will inevitably be sydney: I have no reason to know one way or the other.
Over 2 days the wind howled making most aspects of the game problematic - line outs, line kicks, passing.
Set piece was awful - which I don't really understand as far as scrums are concerned.
Maybe a lot of big boys used to being big enough not to have to worry about technique? How many club/district teams actually train scrums? Is this where our traditional weakness begins? In my day in 16s we had been doing scrums since about 14s. These days it seems to be an afterthought.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
I'm not a supporter of how SJRU operate, I have no involvement in MNZ, but I was out there watching the games and was walking close by when the SJRU rep spoke. He did not say anything like what is being alleged. He wished all the boys well with upcoming selections, and said he hoped they did well and got a few through. He then went on to explain how the process between schools and SJRU would work, he gave a rough outline of when the teams would be announced, and also spoke about an SJRU presidents or Chairmans XV ? to be picked from boys who missed both Sydney and schools. Maybe some of these guys just hear what they think they want to hear. MNZ will deservedly get some through, but not as many as they would like, and no doubt more than others would like.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I'm not a supporter of how SJRU operate, I have no involvement in MNZ, but I was out there watching the games and was walking close by when the SJRU rep spoke. He did not say anything like what is being alleged. He wished all the boys well with upcoming selections, and said he hoped they did well and got a few through. He then went on to explain how the process between schools and SJRU would work, he gave a rough outline of when the teams would be announced, and also spoke about an SJRU presidents or Chairmans XV ? to be picked from boys who missed both Sydney and schools. Maybe some of these guys just hear what they think they want to hear. MNZ will deservedly get some through, but not as many as they would like, and no doubt more than others would like.

If so that's fine but as a committee member he should have spoken to all the teams in the same way and not to the team with which he had a personal, but no formal, connection.
Appearance is everything at this time of the year.

S

sidelineview

he gave a rough outline of when the teams would be announced,

So what was his rough outline of when the teams will be announced?

Next year the authorities should release prior information regarding team announcements, numbers in the squads, shadow teams etc because no one seems to know what's going on this year.

Slugga

Ted Fahey (11)
My comment re Sydney v Schools was just stirring the pot in response to attempts to trivialise the dominance of MWZ on the weekend. You know - the standard wasn’t as high as schools, the weather was bad, the boys were tired from too many games, any excuse will do….

The truth is many in the MNZ have an inflated sense of their worth. Take out key players like Lough and Bradley A? (last years number 8) and as the weekend showed they don’t have much at all

If there is any delicious justice MNZ will get no more than a few in the Sydney team and Chatswoods’ token appearances at club games will all be for naught.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Saying the standard on the weekend was lower says absolutely nothing about the relative strength of the teams involved on the weekend.
Can you not see that?

nothismum

Frank Nicholson (4)
Watching the schoolboys trials was impressed by the structure and plays offered by some of the teams. Overs and unders were used as well as impressive backline plays. Did the Sydney trials do the same?

Rugby Addict

Herbert Moran (7)
My comment re Sydney v Schools was just stirring the pot in response to attempts to trivialise the dominance of MWZ on the weekend. You know - the standard wasn’t as high as schools, the weather was bad, the boys were tired from too many games, any excuse will do….

The truth is many in the MNZ have an inflated sense of their worth. Take out key players like Lough and Bradley A? (last years number 8) and as the weekend showed they don’t have much at all

If there is any delicious justice MNZ will get no more than a few in the Sydney team and Chatswoods’ token appearances at club games will all be for naught.

See that is where you are wrong again Slugga - the Chatswood boys all won a State Championship with Gordon which is what they were seeking.

Further rep honours will go to those that deserve it.

MWZ were the best side on the weekend as predicted by most people with knowledge of the age group and should get up to 10 players in the Sydney side - but they won a trial with no GF - their deserved reward will be spots in the Sydney side.

As for the standard of play over the weekend I think it was a week too far for many of the players - playing their 12-15th game of rugby in 22 days - that is so ridiculous.

That combined with the wind led to too many errors but most of the players were much better the week before. Too much rugby leads to injuries and a lesser standard and that is why I don't think these rep players should be required for club football in U16's.

Slugga

Ted Fahey (11)
I think the regional's should have a greater bearing on selections than the state champs. If it is true that a further selection trial between two Sydney sides is on the cards then all the better, the selectors are to be congratulated.

I want to see a level playing field with selections based on merit not reputation.

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
Interesting speech to MNZ under16s after their poor showing at the weekend by a senior SJRU Committee member whose boy was in the team. Apart from having no role in the team other than parent why he was indicating that he would do what he could to make sure they got through to the next level is all a bit strange. I hope the Sydney team is picked on talent this year and there is no repeat of last years fiasco

So who was it?

2014 SJRU Committee Members
President, Tony Fisher; VP - Friday & Saturday Comps, Gai Mann; VP - Sunday Comp ( U13 - Opens ), David Radford; VP – Reps, Ben Gregory; VP – Development, Jason Van Eyl; VP – Sunday Comp ( U10 - U12), Chris Shaw & Treasurer, Rory Macleod

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
So who was it?

2014 SJRU Committee Members
President, Tony Fisher; VP - Friday & Saturday Comps, Gai Mann; VP - Sunday Comp ( U13 - Opens ), David Radford; VP – Reps, Ben Gregory; VP – Development, Jason Van Eyl; VP – Sunday Comp ( U10 - U12), Chris Shaw & Treasurer, Rory Macleod
Have a quick look on the SJRU site the teams are still up there it won't take long to work it out.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Trying to understand the pathways for the U 16's who get selected in this years NSW Schools squad or Sydney City squad. ...do these two pathways converge by way of a defacto championship and if so do players from both squads have a shot at higher honors? , whatever they may be?. Apologies in advance if this has been answered before.

S

sidelineview

Trying to understand the pathways for the U 16's who get selected in this years NSW Schools squad or Sydney City squad. .do these two pathways converge by way of a defacto championship and if so do players from both squads have a shot at higher honors? , whatever they may be?. Apologies in advance if this has been answered before.

No one has been able to answer this question or details such as when the squads will be announced.

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
No one has been able to answer this question or details such as when the squads will be announced.
at 9am this morning, but the selectors have to agree on players. i.e. sydney want player X and so do schools so there is that negiotation that goes on. they all have jobs and most likely couldn't agree last night so they have gone to work and will reconvien at moore park this afternoon to finalise. This is also slowing down the announcement of the 14, 15, 17 and 18 sydney sides as sydney will weant to post them all together.

Status
Not open for further replies.