• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Suburban Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

grievous

Charlie Fox (21)
Any reason why they all jumped ship?

How old is Blakehurst as a club?

Is there any issue with too many clubs in the area? Oatley St George, Rockdale, Blakehurst and Southern Districts are all closely located!

I know this doesnt compare with the Eastern Suburbs, Inner city or North Shore, but still for the interest level in the area it might be a bit too much???
Not sure, they still run juniors, lovelly little ground in Kyle Bay. The reason from memory was administrative, president left to go to St George and players followed, it decimated their existing two grades and they folded. Didnt help St George, I played with them that year, 3rd div was way above their level and they struggled to fill 4 teams every week, I played 1sts and we took some horrible beatings.
On the other teams
Oatley would be the strongest, now up in div 2 after being down at 5th div a while back, they seem to be organised and are very tough to beat at home. They have juniors too.
St George are about right at 4th div, they cant field any more than 3 sides, they need some juniors to invest back into the club, plenty of kids in the area and quite possibly the most beatiful backdrop in Sydney at their ground. Won the premiership in 1sts and seconds a few seasons back but players get lazy down there with training etc
Rockdale, currently the closest club where I live and I would have gone down and played with them instead of St George 6 years ago. I thought them a bit oif a rag tag outfit with mostly Kiwis running out for them, nice little ground and they have juniors but they cant seem to grow as seniors and they even turn out on a sunday for league with essentially the samr blokes. They never finish a season with the two teams they put out. They sort of just exist and thats it.
Burraneer, folded a few years ago but are back as a one team club, I dont know much else about them.
Engadine used to play 6th div, I didnt know they are still going and Maroubra folded about 8 years ago, again mostly transient Kiwis.
I think there is room for a strong clun in Cronulla area as well as Southern Districts if well run but we have to remember its a league stronghold

Rhys

Frank Row (1)
Should there be any rules on the size of the recruitment area for clubs in subbies. I live in the hills and saw a sign to sign up and play for beecroft on a pole in northmead, and have seen them all over the lower hills district. It's quite disgusting really, who do these guys want to play against if they pilfer everybodys players?

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Should there be any rules on the size of the recruitment area for clubs in subbies. I live in the hills and saw a sign to sign up and play for beecroft on a pole in northmead, and have seen them all over the lower hills district. It's quite disgusting really, who do these guys want to play against if they pilfer everybodys players?
Funny you should mention Beecroft rugby and their recruitment tactics. If I were someone from Hills Rugby, I would just rip it down!

The Secretary of Beecroft Rugby emailed our Juniors President to try to recruit our juniors to play in their Colts team, despite the fact that we have a Colts team of our own. There is a swagger of real arrogance about alot of things that they do, this being one of them.

Rhys

Frank Row (1)
Yeah, the hard part about ripping them down is that they are about 5m up the pole on each of them, not exactly a discrete task to get them down, but I guess Thats why they did it that way....Hard for clubs like hills who have potential to get themselves established when stuff like this goes on...especially with the tag line "want to play 1st division rugby in 2012?"

If your a young kid, why would you want to then go and play 3rd div.....makes lower divisions look like plebs....

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
I must admit i am surprised at Beecroft's tactics. I played with them as a junior, and quite a few of those guys have moved onto the senior club. They have a huge junior club, they shouldnt need to recruit from near and far!

However in saying that, there is nothing to stop Hills from putting up posters! Low act about the colts players and Epping though!

Slash

Bill Watson (15)

Forgive my ignorance. I just looked up Northmead on google maps...............and the first question that popped in my mind was, if Beecroft are advertising in lower Hills for players to play 1st Division......then isn't Parramatta the 1st Division club in the area?

Appreciate this is a Subbies thread, however in reality, 1st Division Subbies is still only 2nd division behind the Premiership

Rhys

Frank Row (1)
Forgive my ignorance. I just looked up Northmead on google maps...............and the first question that popped in my mind was, if Beecroft are advertising in lower Hills for players to play 1st Division......then isn't Parramatta the 1st Division club in the area?

Appreciate this is a Subbies thread, however in reality, 1st Division Subbies is still only 2nd division behind the Premiership

This is true, I am simply quoting what the signs say...

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)

Subbies have a division structure, in which they are 1st div - Shute Shield is "grade" or SRU Premiership - a bit like English football where the top tier is Premier League etc. All a bit silly and confusing to those not in the know :)

Druid

Herbert Moran (7)
Funny you should mention Beecroft rugby and their recruitment tactics. If I were someone from Hills Rugby, I would just rip it down!

The Secretary of Beecroft Rugby emailed our Juniors President to try to recruit our juniors to play in their Colts team, despite the fact that we have a Colts team of our own. There is a swagger of real arrogance about alot of things that they do, this being one of them.

Beecroft also sent the same email to Hills requesting a visit to the Hills Opens team training night to discuss them joining Beecroft Colts. It says more about Beecroft Juniors than anything else as Beecroft Juniors have the largest number of registered junior players (almost double the number than any other club in Parramatta or Eastwood) yet still do not have sufficient players to fill a colts side!!! Seems like a retention problem to me..

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Unfortunately though, I can't recommend them to you, as I coach/play for Epping which isn't too far away (I actually live in the Hills area as well). We play in Division 3, with 4 senior grades and colts.
Prodigy, Is Jim Garroway still playing at Epping?

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Which division? Wouldn't be the club that has linked up with a few ex-West Harbour boys?

From the players they have signed i wouldnt be suprised if it is them! Dont know how clubs can afford to do that! Must destroy the club at some point, couldnt imagine being at a club for 5 years, and then someone coming in who is paid to be there taking the spot!!!!

Must say there are 3 clubs that i can think of where it has had a major impact (Paying players) and they are still in a messy state beacause of it!!!!

K

Keithy

$200 a game works out at $4200 a season which is not that much. A team of 15 is only $63000 so you just have to find enough revenue. If your sponsor is worth millions is not a problem. People shouldn't be surprised that players are being paid the sport is professional.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
You will find there are some subbies clubs paying players collectively in the 6 figure range. And don't kid yourselves that these clubs are in trouble. Whether it's a magnanimous benefactor or brilliant financial management, the money is there. And good luck to them.

NSWRU has to pull their heads out of (blankety blank) and stop protecting Shute Shield Clubs at death's door. The clubs that can afford it will float to the top and the rest of us can move on to enjoying rugby with like minded clubs. It's the ridiculous position we find ourselves in with community clubs struggling through on BBQ money playing against clubs that are subsidising or outright paying players.

This single reform would breathe life into rugby union in Sydney

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
As much as a 'survival of the fittest' approach would be fairer, the NSWRU should not do it. The fact is the clubs that they are 'propping up' are in key battleground areas for the code, and the fight must be maintained at all costs. Simply allowing these clubs to die would kill far more than the club, it would kill rugby more broadly.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
$200 a game works out at $4200 a season which is not that much. A team of 15 is only $63000 so you just have to find enough revenue. If your sponsor is worth millions is not a problem. People shouldn't be surprised that players are being paid the sport is professional.

Look if clubs wish to pay players, and they can afford it, good luck to them!

It would be better if all the clubs were out in the open though. Maybe all the clubs that wish to do that could be in thier own div????

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Look if clubs wish to pay players, and they can afford it, good luck to them!

It would be better if all the clubs were out in the open though. Maybe all the clubs that wish to do that could be in thier own div????

Then those that don't perform as well, claim that they no longer pay players and we are back to square one.

Status
Not open for further replies.